What's new

Indian Navy Gets US Go-ahead to Deploy EMALS and AAG on its New Supercarrier

USS Ford will have 2x 300 MW reactor, however it is a 100-110 thousand tonne super AC. For an AC about
65 thousand tonne, about 300-400 MW should be fine. Meaning about 4-5 83 MW Arihant reactors. USS Ford is also going to feature EMALS.
French aircraft carrier uses two 150MW reactors and has 42500-ton full load displacement. Just FYI.

Dude,it is not a simple addition.
There is no linear relationship between the displacement and power.
Besides, the size of reactor has no linear relationship with the power of it too.
I never said it is. These are merely the designs available currently to Indian Navy.

French aircraft carrier uses two 150MW reactors and has 42500-ton full load displacement. Just FYI.

It is of twin propeller design.
Single propeller like Indian A/C can not have 2 reactors, unless whole blue prints got redesigned.

Single propeller like Indian A/C can not have 2 reactors, unless whole blue prints got redesigned.
yet, Khan wants 4-5 propellers. :)

Actually, there are lots of problems with the reactors of French aircraft carrier, which causes the top speed to be only 27 knot.

yet, Khan wants 4-5 propellers. :)
They do not know ABC of naval architecture.
Where did you hear INS Vishal is a single propeller/shaft design?

As far as INS Vishal goes it was once speculated to be a two shaft design but then at that time it was speculated that it will be conventionally powered.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/r-vishal.htm

Also, I am not an expert at ship propulsion design, but the basics is that the number of shafts and propellers are more the function of the number of turbines converting steam into propulsion. USS Enterprise FYI, had 8 reactors powering 4 propellers and shafts. USS Nimitz has 4 propellors powered by two reactors. Function of Nuclear Reactor is to generate steam, it is the turbine which drives the shaft. I am not aware if there can only be one reactor per turbine.

@ashok321 , @nang2 What happened? No response? I thought you had some depth in naval architecture?

Last edited:
This news is too good to be true. However I could not find many credible sources. I will believe it when I see more proof.

Indian economy is predicted to become top 3 by 2030.
to check the accuracy of a prediction that spans 13 years, simply to review the prediction made 13 years ago.

The Uranium density of US aircraft carrier is up to weapon grade .

Still nothing in the treaty that prohibits India and the US to work on nuclear reactors for carriers.
The treaty governs deliveries of fuel to non-Nuclear Weapon states, and India is not such a state.
The treaty does not govern development and use of Nuclear reactors.

Last edited:
US Providing India EMALS,nuclear reactor,AAG, what about fighter and AEW aircraft?:pop:

Back
Top Bottom