What's new

Indian Navy Gets US Go-ahead to Deploy EMALS and AAG on its New Supercarrier

This news is too good to be true. However I could not find many credible sources. I will believe it when I see more proof.

I smell BS.

Watch It-

Another interesting point is 40+ knot Frigates being designed by Japanese-

I don't know how fast the dry dock expansion plan is going on at Cochin- last year around 1800 crore was released for that-

Yeah right. F-35s in IN with Republicans in power.

Might as well call them to colonise India and make Washington DC the capital of India.

Navy operated a second hand British carrier with sea harriers for so many decades- Did that shift our capital to London- Today we have built our own carrier which is bigger and more advanced than the Virat-

It is important to understand own's capability and work within its limitations- If F-35 is the requirement It will be bought specially If we cannot make one- Chinese still buy Su35 even after making more flankers than the Russians-

off the shelf i guess russian probably.

anyway congrats to india.
Japnese reactors & generators are coming for sure watch this space :tup:

I don't think making a nuclear reactor for a super aircraft carrier is a simple question .
Maybe for indian, everything is simple.
no we are in talks with our japnese friends for them for a long time now and we wish to mass produce them in india under MII and now even Japnese friends seems to agree with the options if not then we already have one indian design and two US design already under considration :tup:

Awesome news. Best diplomaxy by Indians. Now get some of those 35s
nah we want a mix of Rafale M and AMCA naval version if possible but if thats not avilable then of course F35C or the T50 Naval version for sure :D

From reactor physics point of view, none.
But operationally they are like chalk and cheese.
Power reactors can be refuellled whereas naval reactors can't. these therefore have hugely enriched fuel and the core itself has to be replaced one the power output reduces below a certain value. Now since this is very difficult work, most AC and subs are designed for only one core replacement during their codal life and due to this, the material of construction of core is designed for much higher degree of neutron damage sustenance.

The issue was if the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty would be violated by
exports of Nuclear Reactors suitable for use on a ship.
It was claimed that it was, but the NPT is not concerned with reactors.

How much paid for it ?
Total value hasn't been divulged, primarily because a deal is still to be worked.
However as I said in an earlier post, this isn't a stand alone item and the total agreement would account for several technologies and off the shelf items for Aircraft Carrier.

Total value hasn't been divulged, primarily because a deal is still to be worked.
However as I said in an earlier post, this isn't a stand alone item and the total agreement would account for several technologies and off the shelf items for Aircraft Carrier.
India and USA will get closer and closer. I think they can provide you the nuclear reactor to you as well? China is developing domestic nuclear reactor for our carrier, Maybe it takes another five years. The domestic EMALS is ready, we are waiting for the reactor.

The type 003 carrier of China will install EMALS and having nuclear reactor, full displacement will be 90000 tons.

The issue was if the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty would be violated by
exports of Nuclear Reactors suitable for use on a ship.
It was claimed that it was, but the NPT is not concerned with reactors.
I'm not sure if NPT is violated. Spent Fuel from a Naval reactor doesnot have much of plutonium and hence can't be used for reprocessing and weapon diversion. So I guess Naval cores can be provided to India, theoretically atleast.

India and USA will get closer and closer. I think they can provide you the nuclear reactor to you as well? China is developing domestic nuclear reactor for our carrier, Maybe it takes another five years. The domestic EMALS is ready, we are waiting for the reactor.

The type 003 carrier of China will install EMALS and having nuclear reactor, full displacement will be 90000 tons.
China already has mastered PWR technology and has advanced LMCR program. I therefore don't think Naval Propulsion Nuclear Technology should be difficult for Chinese Engineers.

I could predict that Indian has to buy the entire CBG in future ,when China begins to mass produce his nuclear-powered aircraft carrier .

There will be huge amount of money in demand , so indian people should work harder and prepare enough cash for the coming shopping.

Mass production even for the Nuclear powered AC?

. So I guess Naval cores can be provided to India, theoretically atleast.

Your opinion may be worth your salt.
But explain how the export import of tangibles is done theoretically?
If the naval cores are provided to India, its export and no theory involved herein.

Your opinion may be worth your salt.
But explain how the export import of tangibles is done theoretically?
If the naval cores are provided to India, its export and no theory involved herein.
Nuclear reactor technology and product transfer are two very different things.
Please go back to my earlier post where I explained how nuclear core is age managed inside a boat.
India has already taken first step by developing it's own core and NSSS for INS Arihant class subs.
Now for AC, we can theoretically produce larger size Core and NSSS. However it's incorporation on a ship and control for first AC is complex exercise. Here US help comes into fray. While there is little information available in public domain on details of such a cooperation, it is looking more and more likely.
PS My usage of word Theoretical is in reference to existence of a possibility in compliance with International legal framework on transfer on nuclear materials and technologies. This will come into play if and when US administration puts up the deal to Congress ratification. & the possibility could be transfer of technology or finished cores or both.

. This will come into play if and when US administration puts up the deal to Congress ratification. & the possibility could be transfer of technology or finished cores or both.

Is there or has there been any such precedent by the US?

Back
Top Bottom