What's new

Indian Navy delays sailing into new era of ‘invisible’ warships

black flame

BANNED
Reaction score
New Delhi: The Indian Navy has once again deferred the induction of a new class of indigenously built stealth frigates, the latest in a series of delays stretching over five years.

Building capability: The first Indian stealth warship, INS Shivalik. AFP

Once commissioned, the hard-to-detect warships will form a crucial component in India’s bid to build a blue-water navy capable of operating across oceans, defence analysts said. But the delays in induction reflect the need for “stronger political will” to carry the process through, analysts said.

INS Shivalik, the first of 12 Shivalik-class vessels, will be commissioned “by the second week of April,” said Parvez Panthaky, spokesperson of Mazagon Dock Ltd, which is building the ship in Mumbai. “The commissioning date is being finalized with the navy.”

Two more Shivalik-class frigates, INS Satpura and INS Sahyadri, “will be commissioned within a few months of each other,” he said.

In January, when a model of the 4,800-tonne INS Shivalik was showcased in the Republic Day Parade, the navy had announced that the ship would be commissioned in March. The project, envisaged way back in 1997, was initially scheduled for commissioning in 2005.

Stealth frigates have advanced features designed to reduce a warship’s signature.

“INS Shivalik has stealth features against radar and heat seekers,” a senior naval officer told Mint on condition of anonymity. “Its underwater signatures are also reduced through technical means.”

The navy already has three Talwar-class stealth frigates, bought from Russia. But the Shivalik-class vessels are being built entirely in India.

Shivalik-class vessels have both air and anti-submarine capability and are fitted with a mix of Indian, Russian, Israeli and Western weapons. This includes Club anti-ship missiles, Shtil surface-to-air missiles, Barak air and missile defence systems and RBU 6000 anti-submarine warfare rockets. They will carry two advanced helicopters each.

Powered by gas and diesel turbines, the ships are capable of speeds in excess of 30 knots (55.5km) per hour. The cost of building each ship will be close to Rs2,500 crore, the officer said.

Sweden and France were the original builders of stealth ships, followed by Russia. While most major navies are now buying the ships from those countries, India is among the few developing them on its own.

The Union cabinet approved the navy’s so-called Project 17 to construct the 12 stealth frigates almost 13 years ago. The navy ordered the first three vessels in 1999 and the construction of INS Shivalik was launched in 2003, while INS Satpura and INS Sahyadri began in 2004 and 2005, respectively.

Deba Ranjan Mohanty, defence analyst and author of Arming the Indian Arsenal, said the Indian stealth frigates were on a par with the best in the world. But he added the navy needed at least 36 stealth frigates and destroyers in the next 10-15 years.

“Blue-water navies require longer reach. Frigates and destroyers are essential. We should be able to acquire two more aircraft carriers in the same period, and at least one of them should be indigenously built,” said Mohanty, senior fellow at the Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi.

The US, the UK, Russia and France are widely regarded as having true blue-water navies, while Italy, Spain, Canada, China and Australia have limited blue-water capabilities.

Both Mohanty and the naval officer said the development of the frigates was “capability-oriented” or driven by India’s increasing maritime responsibilities and interests, rather than the result of a threat perception.

“India’s aspirations are a blend of both offensive and defensive capabilities—offensive for force projection and defensive for constructive purposes,” said Mohanty.

The commissioning of INS Shivalik would raise eyebrows in Pakistan, which has no stealth frigates, and China, which has a fleet of around 30 such warships, he added.

“China is very closely watching the development, though it won’t make any noise about it. We may hear some reactions from Pakistan,” Mohanty said.

He added Pakistan’s navy has been acquiring advanced submarines such as the Agosta 90B, and may also try to induct stealth frigates in future as a response to India’s soon-to-be-augmented capability.

The Chinese and Pakistani missions in New Delhi declined to comment on the issue.

The delay in INS Shivalik’s commissioning reflected the need for the defence agenda to remain constant, regardless of political change.

“Priorities should be consistent,” he said. “The sanction for such programmes should be continuous.”

saif.s@livemint.com

it is the story of all projects in India not only defense but all projects including roads, bridges, airports etc.

The politicians and bureaucracy delays all the projects and they run into cost escalation.

The result is people and country suffers.

our stealth frigates 054 are already rolling off the production lines like bicycles.

just for comparison.

I read some 30 days back that INS shivalik was to be inducted on 12th april, seems on track, I had also seen photos of the second ship as close to being ready, now this article says that third will be inducted within months of second. Where is the delay? Is it the old one which streches years or some new delay/problem has come up? Could somebody enlighten, I would appreciate.

8ak - Indian Defence News

Hard to detect INS Shivalik to get commissioned in April

25 Mar 2010 8ak: The Indian Navy is set to induct the indigenously built new class of frigate, INS Shivalik, in April this year after a five year delay. The Shivalik class frigate is being built by government owned - Mazagaon Docks Limited (MDL) as part of the Project 17, under which the government has planned to build 12 such ships.

As of now the Indian navy has three Talwar-class stealth frigates brought from Russia. However, the induction INS Shivalik will enhance the attack and deterrent capabilities of the multi-role force as the new frigate is not easily detected by the electronic sensors that the navies use to scan the ocean. It’s very shape evades detection by radar; it is engineered to give minimal infra-red (IR) emissions; and every piece of equipment on board, from engines to toilet flushes, are designed to work silently so that the ship cannot be heard by the enemy’s sonar and acoustic sensors. These features will allow the INS Shivalik to sneak up on the enemy, undetected, and destroy them with a range of high-tech weaponry at the disposal of its gunnery officers.

Work on two other Shivalik class frigates – INS Satpura and INS Sahyadri is also reported to progressing well at MDL and they are expected to be commissioned in early 2011 according to a naval source. The second batch of four more frigates is being planned and work is expected to commence soon.

The newly constructed ship is 142 metres long and weighs 4,800 tonnes. Powered by GE gas turbine engines, the ship has the capability to travel at speeds in excess of 30knots. The onboard weapon systems include Radar-guided Shtil missile system, two Barak-1 Vertical Launch Systems (VLS) Missile System and Two AK-630 Rapid Fire Guns (PDMS), Eight Klub Vertical Launch System (VLS) missiles cruise missiles, with a range of almost 300 kilometres, RBU 6000 rocket launchers, total 24 barrels. Also, two onboard helicopters, with sonar’s and torpedoes. The main gun of the ship OtoMelara 76 mm Super Rapid Gun Mount (SRGM) can fire up to 15-20kms.

The Union cabinet approved the navy’s so-called Project 17 to construct the 12 stealth frigates almost 13 years ago. The navy ordered the first three vessels in 1999 and the construction of INS Shivalik was launched in 2003, while INS Satpura and INS Sahyadri began in 2004 and 2005, respectively.

In June 2009, retired U.S. Admiral Galrahn had commented that India may have paid way too much for the ship. He justifies this by comparing other ships in comparable classes. When the first pictures were released there was also comments on forums like Bharat Rakshak that the finish quality of the ship may be poor and raised the debate of private vs public sector shipyards

Why you always start trolling the thread. Better u stick to the topic and put ur all efforts on building the bicycles.

Have you ever seen , If 100 bicycles are standing in a row and one fell on the other , what happens thereafter ???

theres no problem for us, we'll build 100 more.

of course you'll have to purchase them from russia at full price.

It was suppose to roll out in march but now it will be in april so what big deal huh ?

INS Shivalik, the first of 12 Shivalik-class vessels, will be commissioned “by the second week of April,” said Parvez Panthaky, spokesperson of Mazagon Dock Ltd, which is building the ship in Mumbai. “The commissioning date is being finalized with the navy.”
IN current order is 3(which is nearly completing) and 7 more. so whr is 2 more comes

it is the story of all projects in India not only defense but all projects including roads, bridges, airports etc.

The politicians and bureaucracy delays all the projects and they run into cost escalation.

The result is people and country suffers.

Dont cry..second week of April is not that long.

And try to read the post carefully. Its nowhere said that politicians are involved in the delay. its a decision by mazagon docks and Navy.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
You even cant produce stable electrisic power. it seems you wanna start trolling here? Hmm, let me see, IQ, poverty, caste, untouchable, worest industry, highest baby death rate, worst incoming, corruption, I cant make a decision, which one do you wanna?:lol:

No way no trolling.... u seem to disregard the fact that the post i replied to was comparing India to China..... so my post is relevent to that post......:what:

other things u mentioned, no need to repeat....coz i dunno want to read the same book which is posted by the chinese on all the threads while trolling....:tongue:

You even cant produce stable electrisic power.:
it is not a question of what we can product what we cant, it is a queston of quality for what we produce and whether it is copy paste or not...

So i only replied to his post and was not trolling at all, but I hope u dont start trolling on the topics you listed so eagerly
Hmm, let me see, IQ, poverty, caste, untouchable, worest industry, highest baby death rate, worst incoming, corruption, I cant make a decision, which one do you wanna?
or else we will also have to reply with...
poor quality, copy paste, Worst human rights, no freedom, fake propaganda, corruption(u have lots of it urself), IQ, poverty(u have lots of it urself) etc etc......:)

Last edited:
No way no trolling.... u seem to disregard the fact that the post i replied to was comparing India to China..... so my post is relevent to that post......:what:

other things u mentioned, no need to repeat....coz i dunno want to read the same book which is posted by the chinese on all the threads while trolling....:tongue:

Wow, that is good, let me give you some truth about quality indian weapon. Almost all of your quality indian weapon are not made by indian, just buy. And almost the quality weapon some country sold to you are not so quality comparing to what they are using. A easy understanding example. About 300 jets crashed in 20 years.:lol: By the way, no trolling, my post is a reply to yours.

Wow, that is good, let me give you some truth about quality indian weapon. Almost all of your quality indian weapon are not made by indian, just buy. And almost the quality weapon some country sold to you are not so quality comparing to what they are using. A easy understanding example. About 300 jets crashed in 20 years.:lol: By the way, no trolling, my post is a reply to yours.

by the way no trolling..... Whatever is the end means, no need to go into it....that we can discuss on separate thread...

end result:
U agree India waeapons vastly superior to Chinese ones....ok end here...:)

p.s:
300 in 20 years is better then your 400-500 in every 4-5 years....coz lower quality crashes more, that is why chinese media is put in a cage to avoid shame...:)

Last edited:
end result:
U agree India waeapons vastly superior to Chinese ones....ok end here...:)

:rofl::rofl:
Why you so fear to talk reasonablly? Ok, end this, keep living in the world only exist in you mind, and keep believe the other me living in your mind said what you said above.:rofl:

p.s:
300 in 20 years is better then your 400-500 in every 4-5 years....coz lower quality crashes more, that is why chinese media is put in a cage to avoid shame...:)

I am so surprised that you can still say BS and troll even in front of a fact. Is these your typical way that just start BS when you lose a debate? I am very sorry if you felt any hurt.:lol: But you'd better remember that you stand on a very weak point to blame china.:D

Why you so fear to talk reasonablly? Ok, end this, keep living in the world only exist in you mind, and keep believe the other me living in your mind said what you said above.:rofl:

but u do agree:

Indian weapons vastly superior to Chiense ones....:cheers:

(the source whether domestic, TOT, joint venture, purchase and the distribution among these can be discussed on another thread, but what is the end result, vastly Superior Indian weapons)

Back
Top Bottom