What's new

Indian Muslims pose as Hindus to get jobs

Leader

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Wearing a burkha, 32-year-old Hasina Begum, shuffles along the platform of a railway station in Sonarpur, 30 kilometres south of the Indian city of Kolkata.

She ducks into a toilet stall on the platform and remerges a few moments later, transformed in a sari with vermillion powder on her forehead, and red and white conch bangles on her wrists - the symbols of a traditional, married Hindu woman.

Ms Begum is one of a number of India's 150 million Muslims who adopt Hindu identities to avoid discrimination in the workplace.

"For the the whole day I shall maintain this Hindu appearance. My name is Laxmi, you know it's also the name of the Hindu goddess," she says.

"Before leaving home I took off my armband on which 'Allah' is embossed and put on whatever a Hindu woman usually wears. I live in a Muslim village. Villagers will feel bad to see me with the symbols of a Hindu woman."

Ms Begum says she tried unsuccessfully to find a job for many years before deciding to hide her Muslim identity. Posing as a Hindu woman, she got her current job as an ayah (nursemaid) in a private hospital.

"Recently my hospital asked me to look for some girls to work there, but they asked me not to bring any Muslim candidate for the interview. If by chance they get to know that I am Muslim, I am sure I will be fired."

Secret recruitment policies

Muslims who adopt fake Hindu identities mostly work in menial jobs in sectors where identity documents are not usually sought.

Barin Ghosh managed a domestic help and ayah supply agency in Kolkata until recently and says many recruitment agencies help Muslims find jobs by introducing them as Hindu.

"Almost 95 percent of the clients in my agency were Hindu and while seeking domestic helps, as much as 80 per centof the Hindu clients informed us that they would not employ any Muslims," Mr Ghosh says.

"Muslims being poorer, more than half of the jobseekers coming to our agency were from this minority community. Sometimes we introduced Muslim jobseekers as Hindus to our Hindu clients and they got the jobs. I am sure many placement agencies on mutual interest maintain such secret policies to help Muslims get jobs."

"If by chance they get to know that I am Muslim, I am sure I will be fired."
Hasina Begum, nursemaid at a Hindu-owned hospital

"As much as 80 per cent of the Hindu clients informed us that they would not employ any Muslims."
Barin Ghosh, former recruitment agent

Anti-Muslim bias

Muslims make up 13 percent of India's population and are the country's largest minority.

However, community leaders have long alleged that an anti-Muslim bias exists in different levels of society.

In 2005, the government appointed the Sachar Commission to investigate suggestions that Muslims were disadvantaged in social, economic and educational terms.

It concluded that the socioeconomic condition of most Muslims was worse than that of the dalits, or 'untouchables', the lowest of the Hindu castes.

Ayesha Pervez, a minority rights activist, says widespread workplace discrimination means Muslims are unable to upgrade their standard of living.

"It's not just in the unorganised sector where Muslim jobseekers face the hurdle of discrimination. Even in the government sector anti-Muslim discriminatory processes are thriving," she says.

"In West Bengal where Muslims constitute 27 percent of the population, their representation in government jobs is as low as four percent. Muslim participation is also extremely low in the private sector."

"Even in the government sector anti-Muslim discriminatory processes are thriving."
Ayesha Pervez, minority rights activist

Muslims as untouchables

According to Prasenjit Biswas, a professor of philosophy at the North Eastern Hill University in Meghalaya, many Hindus count Muslims as untouchables.

He says that is at the root of the anti-Muslim discrimination in India.

"The anti-Muslim bias arises out of caste Hindu mindset of untouchability that considers Muslims as lesser than even the untouchables," he says.

"The specific reason in eastern India is the deep-seated fear that the proximity of Muslims in the interior household will not only pollute the household but would bring in bad omen."

Prof Biswas says although discriminating against Muslims is illegal, it is almost impossible for those affected to provide proof.

"So, they are forced to bear with this repressive system- in many cases by disguising themselves as Hindus, in attempt to seek work and live as equals in the society."

Indian Muslims pose as Hindus to get jobs - Australia Network News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

@Jazzbot @Mirzay @Spring Onion @mafiya

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a fear in the private unorganized sector. Fear of getting into trouble. Domestic maids are also kept according to religion. Muslims keep Muslims, and non Muslims keep non muslims(think about cooking stuff).
As for me, I would think twice if I employ many Muslims. Many of them end up being Bangladeshi citizens. In the middle of a month they get arrested/deported.
^^Some of the reasons. Even then there is discrimination. But post 9/11 and other events, the years of trauma etc all contribute to this unfortunate event. The only state where Muslims are doing reasonably great is Gujarat.

But then I grew up being called 'lollay' by too many Kashmiris to count.

This is the effect of extremism in many muslims. Many muslims also tend to bring mullahs to solve out issues with employers and it tends to make things a lot worse.

Solution out of this is reducing extremism among muslims which is being stroked by deobandis and wahabbi mullahs.

This is the effect of extremism in many muslims. Many muslims also tend to bring mullahs to solve out issues with employers and it tends to make things a lot worse.

Solution out of this is reducing extremism among muslims which is being stroked by deobandis and wahabbi mullahs.

But then I grew up being called 'lollay' by too many Kashmiris to count

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/284557-indian-muslims-pose-hindus-get-jobs.html#ixzz2iR4gMCpD

What does that term mean?

Its exaggerated news no Muslim is persecuted or harassed in India

There is a fear in the private unorganized sector. Fear of getting into trouble. Domestic maids are also kept according to religion. Muslims keep Muslims, and non Muslims keep non muslims(think about cooking stuff).
As for me, I would think twice if I employ many Muslims. Many of them end up being Bangladeshi citizens. In the middle of a month they get arrested/deported.
^^Some of the reasons. Even then there is discrimination. But post 9/11 and other events, the years of trauma etc all contribute to this unfortunate event. The only state where Muslims are doing reasonably great is Gujarat.

But then I grew up being called 'lollay' by too many Kashmiris to count.

Wearing a burkha, 32-year-old Hasina Begum, shuffles along the platform of a railway station in Sonarpur, 30 kilometres south of the Indian city of Kolkata.

She ducks into a toilet stall on the platform and remerges a few moments later, transformed in a sari with vermillion powder on her forehead, and red and white conch bangles on her wrists - the symbols of a traditional, married Hindu woman.

Ms Begum is one of a number of India's 150 million Muslims who adopt Hindu identities to avoid discrimination in the workplace.

"For the the whole day I shall maintain this Hindu appearance. My name is Laxmi, you know it's also the name of the Hindu goddess," she says.

"Before leaving home I took off my armband on which 'Allah' is embossed and put on whatever a Hindu woman usually wears. I live in a Muslim village. Villagers will feel bad to see me with the symbols of a Hindu woman."

Ms Begum says she tried unsuccessfully to find a job for many years before deciding to hide her Muslim identity. Posing as a Hindu woman, she got her current job as an ayah (nursemaid) in a private hospital.

"Recently my hospital asked me to look for some girls to work there, but they asked me not to bring any Muslim candidate for the interview. If by chance they get to know that I am Muslim, I am sure I will be fired."

Secret recruitment policies

Muslims who adopt fake Hindu identities mostly work in menial jobs in sectors where identity documents are not usually sought.

Barin Ghosh managed a domestic help and ayah supply agency in Kolkata until recently and says many recruitment agencies help Muslims find jobs by introducing them as Hindu.

"Almost 95 percent of the clients in my agency were Hindu and while seeking domestic helps, as much as 80 per centof the Hindu clients informed us that they would not employ any Muslims," Mr Ghosh says.

"Muslims being poorer, more than half of the jobseekers coming to our agency were from this minority community. Sometimes we introduced Muslim jobseekers as Hindus to our Hindu clients and they got the jobs. I am sure many placement agencies on mutual interest maintain such secret policies to help Muslims get jobs."

"If by chance they get to know that I am Muslim, I am sure I will be fired."
Hasina Begum, nursemaid at a Hindu-owned hospital

"As much as 80 per cent of the Hindu clients informed us that they would not employ any Muslims."
Barin Ghosh, former recruitment agent

Anti-Muslim bias

Muslims make up 13 percent of India's population and are the country's largest minority.

However, community leaders have long alleged that an anti-Muslim bias exists in different levels of society.

In 2005, the government appointed the Sachar Commission to investigate suggestions that Muslims were disadvantaged in social, economic and educational terms.

It concluded that the socioeconomic condition of most Muslims was worse than that of the dalits, or 'untouchables', the lowest of the Hindu castes.

Ayesha Pervez, a minority rights activist, says widespread workplace discrimination means Muslims are unable to upgrade their standard of living.

"It's not just in the unorganised sector where Muslim jobseekers face the hurdle of discrimination. Even in the government sector anti-Muslim discriminatory processes are thriving," she says.

"In West Bengal where Muslims constitute 27 percent of the population, their representation in government jobs is as low as four percent. Muslim participation is also extremely low in the private sector."

"Even in the government sector anti-Muslim discriminatory processes are thriving."
Ayesha Pervez, minority rights activist

Muslims as untouchables

According to Prasenjit Biswas, a professor of philosophy at the North Eastern Hill University in Meghalaya, many Hindus count Muslims as untouchables.

He says that is at the root of the anti-Muslim discrimination in India.

"The anti-Muslim bias arises out of caste Hindu mindset of untouchability that considers Muslims as lesser than even the untouchables," he says.

"The specific reason in eastern India is the deep-seated fear that the proximity of Muslims in the interior household will not only pollute the household but would bring in bad omen."

Prof Biswas says although discriminating against Muslims is illegal, it is almost impossible for those affected to provide proof.

"So, they are forced to bear with this repressive system- in many cases by disguising themselves as Hindus, in attempt to seek work and live as equals in the society."

Indian Muslims pose as Hindus to get jobs - Australia Network News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

@Jazzbot @Mirzay @Spring Onion @mafiya

مسلمان کو جو ہے ہند میں سجدے کی اجازت نادان سمجھتا ہے کہ آزاد ہے اسلام"

Jobs like housemaids I can see why this bias might exist. When you are paying a servant to live and look after you , having them from the same religious background might help because there wont be lifestyle clashes. major concern for some Hindus might be food habbits, like muslims might like to eat beef, and hindus dont want that happening in their own house...

It means roughly one who is incapable of doing anything. Alternative - Bhatta...
Slangs used for Pandits.

As long as there are Madarsas, there will be educated and unemployed Muslims. Remove Madarsas - that is the first logical step.

Jobs like housemaids I can see why this bias might exist. When you are paying a servant to live and look after you , having them from the same religious background might help because there wont be lifestyle clashes. major concern for some Hindus might be food habbits, like muslims might like to eat beef, and hindus dont want that happening in their own house...

That is funny because usually housemaids or servants are handed over left out food whatever it is beef or vegis. The servants don't have a choice to demand neither employers are bound to provide them BEEEEF

funny excuse by you

It means roughly one who is incapable of doing anything. Alternative - Bhatta...
Slangs used for Pandits.

As long as there are Madarsas, there will be educated and unemployed Muslims. Remove Madarsas - that is the first logical step.

:lol: lame excuses by you. The fact is that Indian Hindus hate Indian Muslims and do NOT trust them.

even after 67 years this is laughable.

That is funny because usually housemaids or servants are handed over left out food whatever it is beef or vegis. The servants don't have a choice to demand neither employers are bound to provide them BEEEEF

funny excuse by you

Wrong. In our households food is prepared for them. I have never seen any household giving left over food. That is for the street dogs - they are in plenty.

The choice is cooking. A hindu household may relish pork but it would be disgusting for a Muslim cook. Got it? It is simple. Read again.

:lol: lame excuses by you. The fact is that Indian Hindus hate Indian Muslims and do NOT trust them.

even after 67 years this is laughable.

Again wrong. Indian non Muslims sometimes don't trust Muslims. But not because they are Muslims. I have too many Muslim friends from College and workplace to know. Without any encouragement/ without livelihood etc no community can survive. Yet they gre from 8% in 47 to 14% today. Do you think they are superhumans? :crazy:

If believing that India is also just like you(that is creating/identifying/discriminating/killing minority) gives you peace of mind, I won't disturb it. But we know what things are here.
@Destro - India has always been divided. But it has been a single entity. Nation states are a new concept. Cultural entities live longer. You also had half a dozen states that were amalgamated by the Kuomintang.

Back
Top Bottom