What's new

Indian Missiles - News, Developments, Tests, and Discussions

multiple warhead capability means MIRV?

Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle means MIRV, When missile re-enter the atmosphere then it has multiple independent targetable warheads. This capacity will be there in Agni-V also.
Good to see its development asap, as this will be able to neturalise the current threats from neighbourhood.

thisi is the first time someone is using the word ICBM ..till now they called the agni -5 as an IRBM

EXCLUSIVE: Artist's Impression Of MIRV Warhead On Agni-III

3e296ffe-64fd-493f-9c2b-b5bdeb6599c9-733272.jpg

726a5eff-ce29-4ffd-8e27-18d4965f9871-734791.jpg

083fc2ec-59b6-4087-b8cd-e7f77997dac3-735650.jpg

8d25c20e-15b1-4112-9048-e7f16b4fa233-736315.jpg

:cheers: from livefest

OK. I don't know much about missiles!!!!

ANYONE can tell me, if they put something new in the missile and that's why they tested??

OR Are they just testing it over and over again??

OK. I don't know much about missiles!!!!

ANYONE can tell me, if they put something new in the missile and that's why they tested??

OR Are they just testing it over and over again??

Nothing new on the missile. Just that earlier, it was being tested by DRDO, the manufacturer. This time it is being tested by the Army, the customer.

Earlier, even if it failed, it wouldn't be a problem since it was in development stages and the problem could be fixed in later revisions.

This time the missile was the final version and it had to pass under any circumstances, since it won't be improved any further.

India to test 5,000-km range Agni-V missile in 2011

21 May 2010 8ak: Upbeat after a string of successful tests of the Agni series missiles, the latest being the successful test of 2,000km medium range Agni-II ballistic missile on Monday, Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) is aiming to test Agni-V missile in early 2011.

Bombay news reports that DRDO will test fire its first Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), Agni-V in March-April 2011. Having a range of over 5,000 km to carry multiple warheads and will have countermeasures against anti-ballistic missile systems.

The year has been good for DRDO in terms of proving its capability to provide India with a capable missile. Earlier, DRDO had successfully tested Agni-III in February. The test result was significant because Agni-III with a range of 3,500km can target most major Chinese cities including Beijing. DRDO had also tested the 700km range Agni-I missile in March.

On 10 Feb 8ak had reported that after the successful testing of Agni-III, DRDO would focus on development of Agni-V. The Agni-V is a three stage solid-fueled missile with composite motor casing in the third stage. Two stages of this missile will be made of composite material. Agni-V will be able to carry multiple warheads and will have countermeasures against Anti- ballistic missile systems. Advanced technologies like ring laser gyroscope and accelerometer will be used in the new missile.

Surya

At least one source has reported that a 12,000-km range, 80,000-kg weight ballistic missile, designated Surya, was under development. (1) The status of the Surya [Sun] ICBM program is unclear, with some report indicating that the development of this system was initiated in 1994. Conflicting reports regarding the Surya's configuration claim that it will be based on the components of the polar space launch vehicle (PSLV) and the Agni IRBM, and that it will have a range between 8000 and 12,000 kms. (2)

In October 2005 it was reported that India was developing a three state missile with solid fuel rockets in the first and second stages, and a liquid propellant rocket in the third stage. The launch weight of the missile was said to be 270 to 275 tonnes. The missile could have a 5,480 pound to 7,680 pound releasable front section with two to three warheads of 15 kilo tonne to 20 kilo tonnes each. The ICBM was being developed by combining the technology of the Agni II with that of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle. It was expected to have a range of more than 8,000 km. At that time it was reported that the ICBM was likely to be test-fired by 2008, and was expected to be added to the Indian armed forces' deterrence arsenal by 2015.

As of 2009 it was reported that the government had not considered an 8,000-km range ICBM.

I believe a project names Surya did exist but I think it had been scrapped.
It might be revived if need arises. But as of now, there are more important things to take care of like civil nuclear power, price rise and recession

INS Arihant too was a myth before it was launched on July 2009.;)

Back
Top Bottom