What's new

Indian Missiles - News, Developments, Tests, and Discussions

Interesting. Why does India choose to deploy a ballistic missile on a patrol ship? Isn't ballistic missile suppose to be hosted on subs, especially nuclear ones? There is nothing wrong when a missile is fired from a patrol boats. But its just odd. Either countrie like US, USSR, China, France and England missed something and failed to deploy a missile on a surface ship, much less a patrol ship, or India navy strategic planner really are desperate to deploy a naval base ballistic missile on a surface platforms that others countries regard as strategically unstable. Hopefully, India guard these patrol boats carefully as these smaller boats can easily be stolen, especially by the terrorists.

Well mate, Ballistic Missile is more of a Family rather a term for a single type of missile.

You are Mixing Tactical Missiles with Strategic Missiles which are Entirely different classes.

Prithvi and Its Naval Version "Dhanush" is a Tactical Missile Not Intended to destroy cities but Regiments of Army, Large Ships like Destroyers and carriers etc.

Its an offensive Weapon, that is intended to eliminate in approaching enemy.

Now coming To You, as u said ..

Isn't ballistic missile suppose to be hosted on subs, especially nuclear ones? There is nothing wrong when a missile is fired from a patrol boats. But its just odd.

Since, a Patrol boat will be far ore effective when equipped with a Tactical Missille, It simply means that ships equipped with Dhanush can be in front line ready to attack any incoming ship with High Accuracy.
Since, This missile can carry Nukes too, Its a Gr8 offensive weapon.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why India do plan to put ballistic missile on a surface ship?
Dude, whats your problem with that? Just because other countries don't do it doesn't mean we shouldn't do it!! In simple words, that may be part of tactical plan, never same for all countries!!!

Is it because India lack any sub ballistic missile launch technology or these missiles do plan to target only countries without any submarines.

Yes, to a certain extent you are correct, but India doesn't have plans to attack any country without submarines for that any matter any country, care to name a few if you know more!!

China certainly has subs that can detect surface ships and sink them before its subs are detected.

How on earth do you think, a missile with that kind of range is china centric, for such a thing to happen the ship will have to be in china sea!! But as far as I know, Indian ships are combat ready to fight a country like china only in IOR.

Isn't Pakistan looking to modernize its attack subs fleet? With a ballistic missle with such a short range, I can only imagine India develop this for Pakistan.
You are bang on target here
:cheers:!!!

From what I understand, the reactor is not placed in the sub yet. Also, the missiles are not in placed. you make it sound like its in placed and perform patrolling missions. hy exaggerate?

Its correct that the ship will be ready only by 2012-13 but regarding the K-15.

#1. Its a Strategic Missile hence, Most probabley It wont be used in Patrolling vessels, rather cruize missiles are far better choice.

Vessels carrying K-15, like the INS Arihant will not be patrolling but, remain silent and hidden and wait till an order to launch is given.

Since India is only once of the Handful of countries that have SLBMs Its really a matter of proud that we have such a missile in our arsenal - that completes our Nuclear Triad.

Moreover, the tech is really difficult to master, so the case of the Bulava Missile and its failures.

China certainly has subs that can detect surface ships and sink them before its subs are detected. Isn't Pakistan looking to modernize its attack subs fleet? With a ballistic missle with such a short range, I can only imagine India develop this for Pakistan.

India are getting the Best Submarine Killers of the world - The P8s.
Something China Needs to worry.

New Delhi. The Indian Navy has signed a $ 2.1+ billion deal for eight highly sophisticated P8-I Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft (MMA) with Boeing in the biggest arms accord yet with the United States.

Delivery of the aircraft for operations should begin in about four years, or just around the time the US Navy achieves Initial Operational Capability (IOC) after tests lasting four years. The first flight of the aircraft is due in the last quarter of 2009, “followed closely by delivery to the US Navy for the start of flight tests” at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland, a Boeing spokesperson from the company’s Airborne Anti-Submarine Warfare and Intelligence Programme told India Strategic.

Indian Navy spokesman Commander Nirad Sinha confirmed the deal, signed here on January 1, adding that the government had accepted the recommendations of the Naval Headquarters and that the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) had cleared the proposal at its last meeting.

It was apparently part of the several proposals that the CCS cleared to strengthen coastal and sea-based surveillance in the wake of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks by Pakistani terrorists, who had hijacked an Indian fishing vessel to smuggle themselves into India in a well executed commando operation.

Boeing’s Vice President and Country Head for Integrated Defence Systems (India) Dr Vivek Lall described the deal as “unprecedented” as this is the first time that the US is sharing the technology developed for US armed forces with another country at the same time. Canada and Australia are among the other countries looking for this aircraft, he said.

This is the third big ticket military aviation deal with the US, the other two being the acquisition of three Boeing BBJ VIP jets and six Lockheed Martin C 130J Super Hercules aircraft for Special Operations. The combined value of these two agreements however is lower than that of the MMA deal. The aircraft is much more than the traditional LRMR, in that it would have a tremendous offensive capability to neutralize threatening ships and submarines irrespective of their size and speed.

The aircraft can also serve as a seaborne command post if required.

DR Lall declined to give details but said that the Intelligence, Surveillance and Attack suites on board the Indian version designated Boeing P8-I should be the same as those on board the US Navy version designated P8-A, for the simple reason that it would have taken more time and costs to integrate another set of electronics with different specifications on board the aircraft.

He described the Boeing 737-800 aircraft as “an entirely new machine, built around the standard aircraft but developed as a hybrid with wings of Boeing 737-900.”

Its wings can now carry air to surface missiles and its lower front fuselage has been strengthened as a bomb bay to accommodate Harpoon Block II missiles to engage and neutralize large ships and submarines. The aircraft can also tackle small vessels in coastal defence operations.

One nuclear war head at a time is not good enough for u:what:

Simple answer is NO!! With India's no first use policy how can we be sure on just a single missile?
Anyways, my question was not about nuclear weapons fired!!

I am more concerned about the weight, length of the missile,and carrying capacity of the ship!!
:cheers:

India are getting the Best Submarine Killers of the world - The P8s.
Something China Needs to worry.

This is developed because a Chinese sub pop up among the US career fleet. However, this plane is still in the development stage and won't be ready for a least several years. What US have to hunt down Chinse subs are US subs. As of now, only a sub can kill a sub. Does India plan to purchase US subs? If so, its really something china need to worry in the IOA.

Its correct that the ship will be ready only by 2012-13 but regarding the K-15.

#1. Its a Strategic Missile hence, Most probabley It wont be used in Patrolling vessels, rather cruize missiles are far better choice.

Vessels carrying K-15, like the INS Arihant will not be patrolling but, remain silent and hidden and wait till an order to launch is given.

Since India is only once of the Handful of countries that have SLBMs Its really a matter of proud that we have such a missile in our arsenal - that completes our Nuclear Triad.

Moreover, the tech is really difficult to master, so the case of the Bulava Missile and its failures.

Is the K-15 missile equivalent in technology as Bulava missile? Otherwise, why do you say that K-15 is difficult to master. Isn't this technology that US/USSR mastered back in the 50s, France/England in the 60s and China in the 70s? If so, than its old tech. So the fact is that India started late, not its difficult to master. And the comparason of K-15 to Bulava missile is like comparing a Mig 15 to a Su35.:rofl:

Dude, whats your problem with that? Just because other countries don't do it doesn't mean we shouldn't do it!! In simple words, that may be part of tactical plan, never same for all countries!!!

Yes, to a certain extent you are correct, but India doesn't have plans to attack any country without submarines for that any matter any country, care to name a few if you know more!!

How on earth do you think, a missile with that kind of range is china centric, for such a thing to happen the ship will have to be in china sea!! But as far as I know, Indian ships are combat ready to fight a country like china only in IOR.

You are bang on target here
:cheers:!!!

In my opinion, its a total waste of money and bad use of technology. But whatever float your boat. Pakistani subs can easily sink these ships without Indian sub support. This just stretch the resoponsibility of the Indian subs..

Is the K-15 missile equivalent in technology as Bulava missile? Otherwise, why do you say that K-15 is difficult to master. Isn't this technology that US/USSR mastered back in the 50s, France/England in the 60s and China in the 70s? If so, than its old tech. So the fact is that India started late, not its difficult to master. the comparason of K-15 to Bulava missile is like comparing a Mig 15 to a Su35.And :rofl:

I never said, K15 is better than Bulava. India has made a Good Start, Thats what i meant.

I used the term "Mastered" coz despite of having gr8 stack of missiles Russia is still failing in Bulava.

Isn't this technology that US/USSR mastered back in the 50s, France/England in the 60s and China in the

Had they mastered it Bulava would have been a success.

the comparason of K-15 to Bulava missile is like comparing a Mig 15 to a Su35

Wrong.
Missile Effectiveness is Never about Range ONLY.
As per the Reports Bulava has CEP of +-350 Mts, Whille Sagarika has CEP of +- 75 Mts.
These shortcomings of CEP are being overcome in the latest developmental versions by incorporating of global positioning system (GPS) into the missiles to reduce the CEP to as low as 75 meters and use of solid fuel in the propulsion system.

Now, im stressing on the fact that Missiles be it from india pak or China all are virtually unstopabble and can do the task within the range they are designed for.

Sagarika is NOT designed for 8000 Km as Bulava but does the job well for Its range.

I need Not use Concorde to Get to my friends home next door.

IMHO, this test really shouldn't have been done on a patrol ship, since the trajectory angles would be different, not the mention the chance the storage facility on the primary naval vessel the missile is going on is not 100% compatible with the missile itself. Too many factors to consider, why did the military slack out on this one? Anyhow, congrats on the successful test flight.

In my opinion, its a total waste of money and bad use of technology. But whatever float your boat. Pakistani subs can easily sink these ships without Indian sub support. This just stretch the resoponsibility of the Indian subs..

Well That is once possibility.
But Pak subs have P8 to fear which India is planning to get as many as 20, 8 already ordered .
USN and IN will get the plane together.

Don't understand why you overstretch Pakistan's ability about submarines!! Yes, their subs are good...but if India has to attack, it won't be a single ship attack...it would be a fleet which will have subs,FFG,DDG,etc..

Another point, if you don't like it or think its a waste, then just stick to it, why you demean others opinions!!:cheers:

I never said, K15 is better than Bulava. India has made a Good Start, Thats what i meant.

I used the term "Mastered" coz despite of having gr8 stack of missiles Russia is still failing in Bulava.

Had they mastered it Bulava would have been a success.

Wrong.
Missile Effectiveness is Never about Range ONLY.
As per the Reports Bulava has CEP of +-350 Mts, Whille Sagarika has CEP of +- 75 Mts.

Now, im stressing on the fact that Missiles be it from india pak or China all are virtually unstopabble and can do the task within the range they are designed for.

Sagarika is NOT designed for 8000 Km as Bulava but does the job well for Its range.

I need Not use Concorde to Get to my friends home next door.

Out of all the stats between Bulava and K-15, you need to pick a statistic that K-15 has over Bulava. Bulava was created to penetrate US ICBM missile defence that US supposely given up. A very advance weapon as compare to k-15. Also, I never discuss range or accuracy as the difference between the two missiles. But the reality is that K-15 is something that other countries can do decades ago doesn't make it hard to master.

Out of all the stats between Bulava and K-15, you need to pick a statistic that K-15 has over Bulava. Bulava was created to penetrate US ICBM missile defence that US supposely given up. A very advance weapon as compare to k-15. Also, I never discuss range or accuracy as the difference between the two missiles. But the reality is that K-15 is something that other countries can do decades ago doesn't make it hard to master.

Let me explain you.
K-15 is unique not for anything else but coz, India got the ability to launch under water missiles.

Now Underwater Missile capability + Agni III/Agni V = An SLBM with range 5000KM-12000 KM.

So the breakthrough is not that of anything else but the capability of underwater launches, rest is NOW on Indian Government to allow or disallow or when to get a more longer range missile, for example Agni V Development is NOT being perused at a pace as Angi I and II.

But the reality is that K-15 is something that other countries can do decades ago doesn't make it hard to master.

Do u even know how many countries CAN actually launch underwater Missiles ?

ONLY 6 . Excluding Pakistan.
So u see Its not only hard but rather very difficult else Most countries would have it.
Forget Decades my friend, even China will deploy it Only in 2010.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom