What's new

Indian Missiles - News, Developments, Tests, and Discussions

Can any expert please tell me what is the significance of this Night Launch?

Can any expert please tell me what is the significance of this Night Launch?

Will be easy to fire when others will be sleeping. :rofl: joking.

They are testing its day night capability. Who knows when it fails.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Balasore: Breaking News! India test-fired the 2,000-km Agni-II missile from the Wheeler Island off Orissa Coast at 7:50 PM tonight. This is the first time the nuclear-capable missile was launched in the night. The testing of Agni-II is a significant step towards making it fully operational in the Strategic Force Command.

The Agni-II missile has a weight of 17 tonnes and a length of 20 meters. It can carry a one-tonne payload over a maximum of 2,000 km.

The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Science : Agni II missile fired first time after sunset

Agni II missile fired first time after sunset

India’s nuclear-capable intermediate range Agni II missile was test—fired for the first time after sunset Monday, defence sources said.

The surface-to-surface missile with a range of 2,000-plus kilometers was tested from Wheeler’s Island -- a launch site in Bhadrak district, about 200 km from Bhubaneswar, at about 7.50 pm.

“It was a user trial,” the sources said, adding that the aim of the test was to give the Army confidence to fire the missile whenever it was required.

The Agni II missile, which is a part of India’s Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme, is 20 m long and can carry 1,000 kg payload.

Weighing 17 tonnes, the range of the missile can also be increased to 3,000 km by reducing the pay load.:what::woot:

“It can be fired from both rail and road mobile launchers. It takes only 15 minutes for the missile to be readied for firing,” :devil:the sources said, adding that the Agni II-version of the Agni series of missiles was first test fired in 1999 from the same location.

The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Science : Agni II missile fired first time after sunset

Agni II missile fired first time after sunset

India’s nuclear-capable intermediate range Agni II missile was test—fired for the first time after sunset Monday, defence sources said.

The surface-to-surface missile with a range of 2,000-plus kilometers was tested from Wheeler’s Island -- a launch site in Bhadrak district, about 200 km from Bhubaneswar, at about 7.50 pm.

“It was a user trial,” the sources said, adding that the aim of the test was to give the Army confidence to fire the missile whenever it was required.

The Agni II missile, which is a part of India’s Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme, is 20 m long and can carry 1,000 kg payload.

Weighing 17 tonnes, the range of the missile can also be increased to 3,000 km by reducing the pay load.:what::woot:

“It can be fired from both rail and road mobile launchers. It takes only 15 minutes for the missile to be readied for firing,” :devil:the sources said, adding that the Agni II-version of the Agni series of missiles was first test fired in 1999 from the same location.

"It was a smooth launch. Data relating to various parameters of the missions' objectives are being analysed," said a defence official who witnessed the test launch.

The 2000-km plus Agni-II has already been inducted into service and today's test was carried out by the SFC of the Indian Army while logistic support was provided by various laboratories and personnel of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), sources said.

On the significance of conducting night trial, a DRDO scientist said since it is a training exercise for the end-users, one should be familiar with the operation in extreme conditions.

The entire trajectory of today's trial was tracked by a battery of sophisticated radars, telemetry observation stations, electro-optic instruments and naval ship located near the impact point in the down range of the Bay, the sources said.

First night trial of Agni-II conducted

BALASORE: India's nuclear-capable intermediate range Agni-II missile, test-fired for the first time after sunset on Monday, reportedly failed to get the desired results.

The Army test-fired the surface-to-surface Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) from Wheeler’s Island, Bhadrak district, around 7.50pm.‘‘The liftoff and the first stage separation was smooth. But it faltered just before the second stage separation and behaved erratically, deviating from its coordinated path. Further analysis is on to ascertain the cause,’’ said a source.

The entire trajectory of Monday’s trial was tracked by a battery of sophisticated radars, telemetry observation stations, electro-optic instruments and a naval ship.

The launch, originally scheduled in the first week of this month, was deferred due to some technical snags in its pneumatic system. Though the snags were rectified, another glitch surfaced during Monday’s test, leading to the fiasco, the source claimed.

The nuclear capable 2,000-km-plus range missile has a length of 20 meters, a diameter of one meter, weighs 17 tonnes and can carry a payload of around 1,000 kg. It was first tested on April 11, 1999.

The test launch was significant from India's strategic point of view because for the first time since the beginning of DRDO’s missile development programme, a missile was put under trial during night. The user trial was conducted by Army officials while scientists from DRDO were present to provide necessary logistical support.

Bad new guys - Agni 2 test fails.

well the news is said but sure issues will be rectified...however i am not clear what does night trial means and how is it complicated than day trial?? I failed to contemplate the technical challenges about a missile behaving fins during the day but not in night...Can someone please enlighten me??

^^^ on a lighter note, Agni-II apparently has "night blindness" someone forgot to it "Vitamin A"!!
I know what it needs, Carrots!!

^^^^^^^^^
Hahaha funny...I hope Agni II get's the carrot..Though still waiting for a reply in regards to the question

^^^^^^^^^
Hahaha funny...I hope Agni II get's the carrot..Though still waiting for a reply in regards to the question

There's no news yet about the reasons for the failure. Lets wait for the investigation results. Apparently the test was delayed from earlier this month due to some pneumatic problems. Maybe they didn't fix it right or maybe there's another problem or maybe it was lack of carrots after all! :)

Gogbot might be able to better answer the night/day test question.

^^^^^^^^^

Military professionals may answer your question Decki..Ask Gambit or some one else.. :cheers:

:what: missiles can't see in night :woot:!!!:eek:
i think the solution would be to put some headlights on its nose or either put some flood lights on the target. :cool::smokin:

i think i cracked it:victory:
anyway, waiting for some serious information, why is that so !

Back
Top Bottom