What's new

Indian LCA Tejas Or Pakistani JF-17: Who Is Winning The Malaysian Fighter Jet Contract?

Really? Ek minute

The original media who posted that news has deleted it and a Malaysian Aiforce Team is arriving in BanGalore to test Tejas.

This aforementioned article is the BBC's own content, written by their own Defence Analyst, not sourced from anywhere. I'll see if I get the English version for you since this is published in Urdu.

If JF-17 would be using 3 drop tanks then it can else using internal fuel its difficult for any fighter of its class to have such a high combat radius of 1500km.
Malaysian team coming to India to evaluate Tejas.

Biggest advantage that Tejas has is CATS program and BrahMos missiles and Astra series of BVRAAMS which can be exported to Malaysia.

View attachment 735547
This version of Tejas is still under development. JF-17 Block III allegedly has this type of cockpit as well, and judging from past experience Pakistan will have executed this better. If Malaysia doesn't want to wait for both of these planes then it comes down to JF-17 II (possibly with AESA radar) vs Tejas base model, and IMO JF-17 II wins against base model Tejas.

But the most likely one to be chosen is the FA-50.

My bad I didn't read it properly it has capacity of 6000 pounds
While JF17 has around 5000 pounds..

Secondly F16s range is 850km
JF17s is 1350
Tejas‘s Internal fuel capacity is 2460kg which is 5423.372 pounds, still has less combat radius?
JF-17’s internal fuel capacity is 5130 pounds.
This version of Tejas is still under development. JF-17 Block III allegedly has this type of cockpit as well, and judging from past experience Pakistan will have executed this better. If Malaysia doesn't want to wait for both of these planes then it comes down to JF-17 II (possibly with AESA radar) vs Tejas base model, and IMO JF-17 II wins against base model Tejas.

No, MK1A is just an upgraded Tejas, not in development, IAF has ordered 83 MK1As already and production will start as per schedule.

JF17 Block-II is not better than Tejas MK1 but Block-III is very advanced compared to Mk1, Block-III is direct competitor of MK1A.
FA-50 has 0 chances of selection because British companies would not give export license to KAI again.

Last edited:
Malaysia was looking at JF 17 jet option since 2015, must be close to the deal being done.

There are few articles about malaysia buying the jets is a done deal for the block 3 version.

Tejas are out of the consideration, I reckon.

In terms of time lines JF blk 3 does appear to be a little ahead. That is because China is undertaking most of the developmental work and the Chinese have built a fairly robust indigenous aircraft industry. Hence undertaking an upgradation of the current JF version shouldn’t be a big task for them. It is surprising that it hasn’t been unveiled yet.
Tejas is not too far behind but the weak link could be HAL that has to produce the aircraft as per the timelines. Capability vise Tejas Mk1A specs are available in the open domain but not so with JF-17 Blk III. Once all the aspects are known an informed comparison would be possible.

Tejas does have promising capabilities. Considering the effort of all the agencies involved it might just turn out to be a game changer for Indian aviation industry.
The fact that Malaysian team is studying LCA does mean something and it can’t be written off yet. Malaysia is under no obligation to do the trials just to make India happy.

China and Malaysia have disputes over South China Sea.
One must take diplomatic and geopolitical conditions into consideration Too.
1618851557385.jpeg

In terms of time lines JF blk 3 does appear to be a little ahead. That is because China is undertaking most of the developmental work and the Chinese have built a fairly robust indigenous aircraft industry. Hence undertaking an upgradation of the current JF version shouldn’t be a big task for them. It is surprising that it hasn’t been unveiled yet.
Tejas is not too far behind but the weak link could be HAL that has to produce the aircraft as per the timelines. Capability vise Tejas Mk1A specs are available in the open domain but not so with JF-17 Blk III. Once all the aspects are known an informed comparison would be possible.

Tejas does have promising capabilities. Considering the effort of all the agencies involved it might just turn out to be a game changer for Indian aviation industry.
The fact that Malaysian team is studying LCA does mean something and it can’t be written off yet. Malaysia is under no obligation to do the trials just to make India happy.
I think reducing component and subsystems to 2 or 3 suppliers will make Tejas more marketable. Also i believe Malaysia, or any other country for that matter, testing Tejas will be beneficial for India as well.

I think reducing component and subsystems to 2 or 3 suppliers will make Tejas more marketable.
I guess it is more of a compulsion than a choice. India doesn’t yet have all the sub systems that are made within India. But the work seems to be on. Apart from an indigenous engine, I think that most other systems might get made in India stamp within few years.

An international sale does put a stamp of being competitive in this cut throat segment.

Let’s see what comes out of this evaluation. For the time being I would be more than happy if Tejas just comes out as promised just to meet IAF requirement.
China and Malaysia have disputes over South China Sea.
One must take diplomatic and geopolitical conditions into consideration Too.
This could be one of the reasons that might go against JF-17.

Last edited:
I guess it is more of a compulsion than a choice. India doesn’t yet have all the sub systems that are made within India. But the work seems to be on. Apart from an indigenous engine, I think that most other systems might get Indian made stamp within few years.

An international sale does put a stamp of being competitive in this cut throat segment.

Let’s see what comes out of this evaluation. For the time being I would be more than happy Tejas just comes out as promised for the IAF.

This could be one of the reasons that might go against JF-17.
It has, the Export Variant of Tejas will use Indian D-29 (a very capable E/W Suite) and Uttam radar. and other Indian made stuff.

JF-17 has a combat radius of 1500 kms. This figure has been quoted on it’s thread by quite a few FMs. While that of Tejas is mere 500 km. Considering that both the aircraft are of similar class and capabilities ( Blk3 vs MK 1A) JF-17, should win the contract on this single parameter.
1500 Km of combat range is a phenomenal capability and puts it far ahead of SAAB JAS-39 and even F-16.
This kind of combat range even in certain basic configuration appears very good. What is that configuration would be interesting to know.

Combat radious is about 30% of ferry range. 1500 km combat radious means JF 17 can go 1500 , do fight there and come back. People can bluff anything without an eota of understanding.

Tejas and JF-17 are the only main contenders, rest offerings are trainer aircrafts converted for combat.

Back
Top Bottom