What's new

Indian IT firms employ over 1 lakh in US: Report

to stay within recommended ranges is an assault? that's bit of stretch . One does not have to take the offer. I won't disagree they low ball ya but it is still in the range. I'll tell ya , this my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt- Indians tend to be terrible salary negotiators.

Here is an example for you - say you work in NYC - the minimum wage for H1b I think now is $50000. a developer in NYC, if he is a direct employee, commands $100,000 minimum or per hour $65 if he is a contractor - do you think the Indian consulting companies offers $100,000 for its employees? and if they offer even $60,000 and especially if the employee is married - what kind of lifestyle can he manage even if he lives in NJ or Stamford and travels to NYC?

Here is an example for you - say you work in NYC - the minimum wage for H1b I think now is $50000. a developer in NYC, if he is a direct employee, commands $100,000 minimum or per hour $65 if he is a contractor - do you think the Indian consulting companies offers $100,000 for its employees? and if they offer even $60,000 and especially if the employee is married - what kind of lifestyle can he manage even if he lives in NJ or Stamford and travels to NYC?

don't take the job, btw people in NY, all don't make 60,000 / year. you don't have to live in the city. millions commute from jersey. Point is it's your choice to take the job. If more reject it, they will have to pay more. but I get what you are saying about them low balling you.

don't take the job, btw people in NY, all don't make 60,000 / year. you don't have to live in the city. millions commute from jersey. Point is it's your choice to take the job. If more reject it, they will have to pay more. but I get what you are saying about them low balling you.

Point is if they have an engineering degree or other professional degree - would they want to settle for $60,000 per year?
I wish the employees reject the job and look for a better salary offering - but unfortunately they dont do.

if you know about the H1b process it is not that easy. you have to show why you can't hire an American worker.

Funny!

If you have a spare couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your wallet, I suggest you go talk to a visa lawyer. Proving this "no qualified American" is a by-the-book recipe.

Look even here he says the fact Indians get more H1B visas is because US wants to compensate for the fraud. yes- that level of absurdity.

That was in response to your silly claim that the US increasing H1B quotas somehow disproves the fraud.

Funny!

If you have a spare couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your wallet, I suggest you go talk to a visa lawyer. Proving this "no qualified American" is a by-the-book recipe.

That was in response to your silly claim that the US increasing H1B quotas somehow disproves the fraud.

is this another I know a lawyer I met in band camp anecdote from you?

The fact that 80% of the visas issued are to Indians if not indicative of the level of trust then - well I know why you would think it would be a reward for fraud. think tank eh :)

80% wow!

getting way late here. My international conf call to Hong Kong is done. Have it man... big bad India is all around :)

Any competent lawyer will do.

The fact that 80% of the visas issued are to Indians if not indicative of the level of trust then - well I know why you would think it would be a reward for fraud. think tank eh :)

80% wow!

You misunderstand me. I have no issue with whatever % of H1-B is going to Indians; I have hired a few myself.

My only point is to refute the impression created in the original post that these jobs by Indian companies are going to US residents when the number of H1-B visas acquired by them clearly tells the opposite story.

You misunderstand me. I have no issue with whatever % of H1-B is going to Indians; I have hired a few myself.

My only point is to refute the impression created in the original post that these jobs by Indian companies are going to US residents when the number of H1-B visas acquired by them clearly tells the opposite story.

Pardon me for jumping in but how exactly is the number of H1-B's issued to Indians correlated with the number of people employed by Indian companies in the US?

A lot of Indian work for Microsoft.

A lot of Indians work for NASA.

A lot of Indians work for various universities as faculty in the US.

A lot of Indians work for Google.

A lot of Indians work for McKinsey.

A lot of Indians work for Booze & Co.

A lot of Indians work for Pfizer.

The list is endless.

The point is, you are assuming that Indians being granted H1-B's has any bearing on the no. of people employed by Indian companies in the US.

Last I checked none of these major companies belonged to India.

The point is, you are assuming that Indians being granted H1-B's has any bearing on the no. of people employed by Indian companies in the US.

Last I checked none of these major companies belonged to India.

Well, that is why I posted the earlier link which showed that 80% of H1-B visas for top companies went to Indian companies. Indians working directly for Microsoft, etc. are not part of this discussion.

Here's something else:

Indian IT firms step up hiring in the US - Rediff.com Business

Last updated on: January 27, 2012 10:22 IST

The Durbin-Grassley Bill might have fallen through but large Indian information technology service providers are taking no more chance of being seen as job snatchers in the US.

The Bill, introduced in 2009, proposed that no employer be allowed to hire more H1B visa holders unless local Americans were more than half of the staff on their rolls.

Top Indian firms such as Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and Wipro have started making whole-hearted efforts to raise local hiring in the US. This includes campus hiring, delivery and training centers and reducing dependency on visas, especially the L1 visas.

Now, clearly, their workforce is over 50% Indian, else why would they care? The 90% figure I gave was for smaller consulting companies. The bigger shops would clearly be more sensitive to appearances but they are still affected by the proposed bill.

Did you even read that headline and the sentence in red?

Yes. The bill didn't pass which means that, right now, there is no such restriction on H1-B hiring. But the Indian companies are "taking no more chances".

Keep in mind that this news is only a couple of months old, so the state of affairs is current.

The study, "Contribution of Indian Tech Companies to the U.S. Economy," also reaffirms U.S. government figures that show investments from India to the U.S. grew by 90 percent in 2010 from the year before, capping what has by now become a mutually-beneficial trend of growing commerce between the two countries. Trade between India and the U.S. has increased eightfold in the last 20 years, the study says.

Next,the ''well meaning'' folks on PDF will claim that Indian investments in the United States are also fraudulent as technically,they are pumping the funds into infrastructure adjacent to the Indian embassy(and by default,ownership belongs to the Indian establishment)and thereby crippling the American industry by flooding it with Indian funds. :lol:

Set aside the hatred and grow up you silly rabbits.

80% of H1-B visas went to Indian companies. Add B1, B2, L1, L2 and all the other visa categories. The original article states that Indian companies employ 100,000 workers in the US.

Now I will let you look up the number of the above visas issued and compute 80% of it.

Come on, I know you can do it -- math genius that you are!

I think a more sensible route will be to look beyond the headlines and go thru the article in more detail. Posting 1 page that will help you with your above problem

qozl8m.jpg

I think a more sensible route will be to look beyond the headlines and go thru the article in more detail. Posting 1 page that will help you with your above problem

qozl8m.jpg

Here, I will break it down for you.

Study: India-based Tech Firms Boost U.S. Economy, Job Growth - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee

Indian tech firms directly employ 107,000 people in the U.S. and support a total of 280,000 jobs.

Oops, there's that phrase "in the US" again, deliberately vague on the visa status of these people.

The 175,000 "indirect" jobs (retail, courier, etc.) are the kind of jobs which would exist ANYWAY if those 107,000 "direct" jobs were not outsourced and held by US workers in the first place. It is unlikely that there are too many cook and couriers running around with H1-B visa. So the (3/4 x 280,000 = 210,000) "local US" jobs being touted are mostly these lower-paying, indirect jobs.

The higher-paying 107,000 direct jobs are held mostly by visa-holding Indians.

Point is if they have an engineering degree or other professional degree - would they want to settle for $60,000 per year?
I wish the employees reject the job and look for a better salary offering - but unfortunately they dont do.

Most starting engineers with a Bachelor's degree start at 60,000$ and some up to $80,000. But that's it. I mean, don't expect six figure paychecks when you graduate. If you get a MBA, then that's a different story.

80% wow!

getting way late here. My international conf call to Hong Kong is done. Have it man... big bad India is all around :)

80% VISAs going to Indians can prove a lot of things, one being the sheer number of Indians desperate to emigrate from India.

No?

Here, I will break it down for you.

Study: India-based Tech Firms Boost U.S. Economy, Job Growth - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee

Indian tech firms directly employ 107,000 people in the U.S. and support a total of 280,000 jobs.

Oops, there's that phrase "in the US" again, deliberately vague on the visa status of these people.

The 175,000 "indirect" jobs (retail, courier, etc.) are the kind of jobs which would exist ANYWAY if those 107,000 "direct" jobs were not outsourced and held by US workers in the first place. It is unlikely that there are too many cook and couriers running around with H1-B visa. So the (3/4 x 280,000 = 210,000) "local US" jobs being touted are mostly these lower-paying, indirect jobs.

The higher-paying 107,000 direct jobs are held mostly by visa-holding Indians.

Hmm.. Not too good at maths it seems..

Lets look at the numbers..

For every 1 direct job, 1.6 new indirect jobs getting created in the US
which means out of 280 K jobs, 107 K are direct and 173 K are indirect.. (Please note that the indirect jobs are incremental and wouldnt exist if the 107 K direct jobs werent there..If there wasnt a development facility of Genpact in Wilkes barry,PA supporting 230 direct jobs, the 400 indirect jobs of infrastructure,cleaning,food,transportation etc supporting that facility wouldnt exist either)

Now every 3 out of 4 jobs (on the base of 280 k) are held by locals, this would mean 210K jobs out of 280 k are held by locals,which means even out of that 107K jobs, at least 34K jobs are held by the locals... and do remember, that for every H1B visa, apart from the visa holding worker paying the same (or higher) rate of taxes as US citizen, the Indian company that gets that person there also pays an additional tax that contributes to the USA economy...

Back
Top Bottom