What's new

Indian Govt. to launch its own Operating System(Linux Distro.)

BOSS has been there for a few years now, I remember the laptops given to students by the TN govt used that OS.

Spoke about it to someone here who had used, said it was terrible :(, maybe they can fix whatever was wrong with it and relaunch it.

Edit: found a link with more info:

India’s own BOSS OS set to be updated with a new version | Digit.in

India’s own operating system, Bharat Operating System Solutions, or BOSS, is set to be revamped with an update. A senior official has said that the newer version of the OS will come this September.

The official told Hindustan Times that the new OS will be presented to all government stakeholders tomorrow. The government developed BOSS in order to reduce dependance on foreign operating systems. The OS was first launched back in January 2007, however it lost ground quickly due to the lack of adoption and faster upgrades offered by other operating systems. The official said, “We have no dearth of developers here. BOSS has almost all the features that one can get in, say, Windows. The earlier version was less user-friendly and had few features. We will seek help of Indian software biggies to develop it further.” He also said that the system was tested over the past three months. Many government agencies asked to check for vulnerabilities and the OS worked as it was supposed to.

1f7a49d41d82927acd7f69956a4b72b4f4fc682b.jpeg

BOSS is a linux distribution, which was developed by the Centre of Development of Advanced Computing or C-DAC that is based in Pune. The Defence Research and Development Organisation as well as Gujarat Technological University was actively involved in developing the system that supports all Indian languages.

The latest version of the OS that’s currently available on the official website is BOSS 5.0. This version is codenamed ‘Anokha’ and is comes with the GNOME Desktop Environment 3.4 version. It features the latest Kernel 3.10 and supports Intel 32-bit and 64-bit architecture as well as a 3D desktop, graphic installer, Libreoffice 4.1, and more. The OS has an on-screen keyboard, which supports a variety of Indian languages, thanks to the Smart Common Input Method tool that supports Unicode 6.1. According to the official website, this helps ensure that even those users who aren’t well versed in English, will be able to use a computer effectively. The OS also comes with the Orca Screen Reader as well as Magnifier & E-Speak to help those with visual impairments. Another version of the BOSS OS, called EduBOSS has been designed for students and teachers. It comes with a number of educational applications for students at primary and higher levels.

i didn't know that... what reason.
Adobe flash gets only security updates. Many websites are adopting HTML5 players including YouTube, so perhaps we can survive without flash. I remember using nspluginwrapper long back to get flash work in Gnu/Linux back then.
yes, latest Adobe flash is available in Linux through Google Chrome only. There is a ugly hack called pepper flash *something which can support latest flash in Firefox. There are lot of unofficial flash replacement works like Gnash, Shumway (Mozilla Firefox) etc which are nowhere near maturiy AFAIK.

bhai ! why re-invent the wheel ? Do you know the effort it will take ?
What effort it will need ??

I have more than 10 year experience in linux. Linux is the collections of small tools. Creating this flavour of linux will involve compiling all the software pieces from its source code which is freely available including linux kernel, desktop(kde or gnome ), and other software required. Developing its own flavor means they could work on the vulnerability and bugs on priority to be fixed rather been waiting for someone to get fixed.

IA was already using SUSE Linux for the security purpose in the sensitive establishment. Though its not the first Indian linux distribution but congratulation and good luck for the developer.

you can search anything on it ????????????
Imran bhai what do you want to say.

Yes you can see all inside out because source is available.

I have more than 10 year experience in linux. Linux is the collections of small tools. Creating this flavour of linux will involve compiling all the software pieces from its source code which is freely available including linux kernel, desktop(kde or gnome ), and other software required. Developing its own flavor means they could work on the vulnerability and bugs on priority to be fixed rather been waiting for someone to get fixed.

IA was already using SUSE Linux for the security purpose in the sensitive establishment. Though its not the first Indian linux distribution but congratulation and good luck for the developer.

He is not talking about yet another diastro. He is talking about building a new OS from scratch. Hence the question, why reinvent the wheel ?

Imran bhai what do you want to say.

Yes you can see all inside out because source is available.
my search engine filter the 81+ results :cry:

He is not talking about yet another diastro. He is talking about building a new OS from scratch. Hence the question, why reinvent the wheel ?
Sorry didn't read that post my fault.
Ok go ahead for that good luck

Adobe flash gets only security updates. Many websites are adopting HTML5 players including YouTube, so perhaps we can survive without flash. I remember using nspluginwrapper long back to get flash work in Gnu/Linux back then.

overtly, i remember encountering html5 in one or two places only... i think the ted site uses html5.

i hope html5 doesn't use lot of memory for vid plays.

yes, latest Adobe flash is available in Linux through Google Chrome only. There is a ugly hack called pepper flash *something which can support latest flash in Firefox. There are lot of unofficial flash replacement works like Gnash, Shumway (Mozilla Firefox) etc which are nowhere near maturiy AFAIK.

my slax has by default firefox 19.0.2 and plays flash without problems mostly, with flash plugin crashes sometimes.

my search engine filter the 81+ results :cry:
OOps

overtly, i remember encountering html5 in one or two places only... i think the ted site uses html5.

i hope html5 doesn't use lot of memory for vid plays.

my slax has by default firefox 19.0.2 and plays flash without problems mostly, with flash plugin crashes sometimes.
Html5 is the latest standard for the internet.
Never thought of the memory but it plays video nicely and surely will replace flash but for the animation i could not find anything better than flash at the moment.

OOps

Html5 is the latest standard for the internet.
Never thought of the memory but it plays video nicely and surely will replace flash but for the animation i could not find anything better than flash at the moment.
flash makes my browser crash :(

Change the 'safe search' settings in google, if it is banned in Pakistan then try free vpn extensions like Zenmate. :)
I think zen mate or other software spam and slow the system ? its right ?

which browser and version and your os
hehe.. good question..

Mac for work, I use Safari there, personal laptop runs on Windows, it was 8, recently got upgraded to Windows 10, everything updates automatically, so I use Firefox v40 there. My old college wala desktop runs on Windows Vista, never felt any necessity to upgrade. I have a small mini PC, that I use with my Smart TV to use it as a general purpose computer, home theater system. That runs on Ubuntu 14, using Firefox there as well.

if you are using windows try Maxthon cloud browser
Maxthon.. Chinese na ?

I have been using Firefox since v2 was release, now it's v40..I don't really believe in brand-following, but in case of Firefox, I'm willing to make that exception. I will give Maxthon a try though :)

Back
Top Bottom