What's new

Indian Govt. to launch its own Operating System(Linux Distro.)

oFFbEAT

Reaction score
Country
India
Indian govt to have its own Operating System for official use. A highly improved and secured version of BOSS (Bharat Operating System Solutions) has been developed by C-DAC (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing). Indian government is all set to release BOSS this month.

Aware of the pitfalls and vulnerabilities in its cyberspace following Snowden reports and countless attacks by Chinese hackers on key government websites, Centre has taken a vital step towards having its own operating system (OS) with which it plans to replace all other OSs, including the most popular Microsoft Windows in future.

BOSS, which is a linux distribution, is developed with the help of Gujarat Technical University, DRDO and some other private computer manufacturers.
Untitled-129-750x500.jpg

Indian govt to launch its own operating system for official use | Zee News

Linux distros are traditionally safer than Windows, but if someone wants to hack they'll manage it anyways.

Using Windows, Android, IOS and even normal Linux distros in sensitive govt. institutions must be banned.

I am all for every country completely developing their own OS. Even the Linux systems based on the standard Kernel (which in itself is not allowed to be modified) gives only some security.

It should be a complete re-write.

Pakistan should also develop its own OS.

Using Windows, Android, IOS and even normal Linux distros in sensitive govt. institutions must be banned.

I am all for every country completely developing their own OS. Even the Linux systems based on the standard Kernel (which in itself is not allowed to be modified) gives only some security.

Agreed, its simply a myth that it cannot be hacked. Only saving grace is open source (double edged) and user community that might be of some help. I dont see any point in taking an existing source code and creating your own distro.

Linux distros are traditionally safer than Windows, but if someone wants to hack they'll manage it anyways.
yeap but considering the Microsoft open source software on linux base are much more better; Ubuntu and like linux based systems are quite virus free, as most viruses are connected with microsoft windows only, moreover as user have only their account and access, no other can use any details of user, which is not in the case of microsoft.

Initially many people who are use to with microsoft windows hate the Linux based system, I prefer the use Ubuntu etc. Member may do partition on their Harddisk and try to use ubuntu, just continuous use for 3 months and all would leave the favouring windows.

easy to say, don't you think it is no coincidence that there are only 2-3 popular/usable OS developed from scratch.
You can modify Linux kernel's 17 million lines of code at your own risk.(its GPL licence).
Its like jet engine development in the CS world. But unlike jet engines, thanks to the opensource movement we are free from strings attached.

A hacker capable of attacking linux can easly take control of your new OS.No OS can or will be fool proof.A bird hit can damage any jet engine irrespective of its origin/design.

Linux kernel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

easy to say, don't you think it is no coincidence that there are only 2-3 popular OS developed from scratch.
You can modify Linux kernel's 17 million lines of code at your own risk.(its GPL licence).
Its like jet engine development in the CS world. But unlike jet engines, thanks to the opensource movement we are free from strings attached.

A hacker capable of attacking linux can easly take control of your new OS.No OS can or will be fool proof.
Linux kernel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are not talking about some individuals working for their 3-person company. We are talking about a massive govt machinery with lot of resources available at their disposal working for their national security.

And if they can not create this "small" thing like an individual OS, then I am not sure about their efficiency. Its all about setting priorities and taking cyber security seriously.

And as far as changing the Kernel is concerned, if you do change the standard kernel, you will have to publish your changes and make these available under GPL as well. Something that pretty much kills the purpose of your secure OS.

And no, there are not only "2-3" Operating Systems developed from scratch, there are dozens. Some based on Linux, others on Unix and others on BSD, then there are other proprietary OS as well.

I am well aware that there is no 100% guarantee in IT Security, it is all about reducing the risk to acceptable levels.

We are not talking about some individuals working for their 3-person company. We are talking about a massive govt machinery with lot of resources available at their disposal working for their national security.

And if they can not create this "small" thing like an individual OS, then I am not sure about their efficiency. Its all about setting priorities and taking cyber security seriously.

And as far as changing the Kernel is concerned, if you do change the standard kernel, you will have to publish your changes and make these available under GPL as well. Something that pretty much kills the purpose of your secure OS.

And no, there are not only "2-3" Operating Systems developed from scratch, there are dozens. Some based on Linux, others on Unix and others on BSD, then there are other proprietary OS as well.

I am well aware that there is no 100% guarantee in IT Security, it is all about reducing the risk to acceptable levels.
what i am saying is there is no point spending time and effort on it. Because nothing is foolproof.
Like i said there are only 2-3 capable OSs developed from scratch makes sense in the real world, and you named it.
Bitching windows and saying closed source reduce risk ? dude !

Back
Top Bottom