What's new

Indian Govt. Demands RIM Email Access by March 31

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
The tussle between the government of India and Canadian handset maker Research in Motion continues. The Indian govt. remains persistent about the encryption keys required for the lawful access of RIM's corporate email. The govt. has given RIM a deadline of March 31 to provide a working solution for the encrypted corporate emails, reported The Economic Times. On the other hand, RIM is sticking to its standard reply that the demand is technologically infeasible.

Last month, we reported that Indian Home Minister P. Chidambaram told the media that the govt. will insist RIM to provide lawful access to the encrypted corporate email services. Now, the Intelligence agencies, Interior ministry and telecom ministry believe that RIM might have provided a solution to the govts. of Saudi Arabia, UAE, China and US. ET cited "an official" aware with the developments and stated that the govt. will be talking with RIM to strike a similar deal for India.

RIM had provided the Indian govt. with a solution to access BlackBerry Messenger services in January this year. Sachin Pilot, junior Telecoms Minister, told in the Parliament that the Indian Security Agencies aren't satisfied with RIM's solution to access the BBM data. That was bit surprising and in defense, RIM confidently claimed that the BBM solution was adequate enough.

RIM has stated that the encryption key to the corporate email lies with the BIS server users i.e; the companies who have bought and implemented the RIM's corporate email solution. So indirectly, RIM wants the Indian govt. to seek the encryption keys from the respective Indian companies.

The battle between RIM and the govt. of India has been going on since the last three years, and the battle continues.

Indian Govt. Demands RIM Email Access by March 31 > Telecom > Techtree.com

MHA is determined to go deeper in to RIM's encryption system and will not settle for half measures. Coupled with the 2G fracas, GoI will not and cannot back down. The Telecom companies will have to give in. RIM has little leverage in the matter.

Good they should do so many a times terrorist activities are planed on such devices its good to see they are demanding for this

Lets see if they are wise(foolish) enough to loose the booming Indian market for some legalities.

I think RIM is paying someone in the government otherwise in any other country the company would be banned many times....i mean, i can't even remember how many times the government has extended the date. Does our government serious about the security or not ??/

Just ban the damn company and use the political clout and get it banned in other friendly countries also. This is the time to set example. I mean a mobile phone company is fooling around with our country and we are not able to take any action and we call ourselves global power??

If it was China, they would have bankrupted this company.

Good they should do so many a times terrorist activities are planed on such devices its good to see they are demanding for this

Hey India has so much talent in IT industry, they provide their super duper IT engineers and programmers to the whole world, why don't the GOI decide to ban the Black Berry service in India and ask it's capable IT manpower to come up with a similar but indigenous service with some exotic south Indian name like "Black Booty" for example.

The tussle between the government of India and Canadian handset maker Research in Motion continues. The Indian govt. remains persistent about the encryption keys required for the lawful access of RIM's corporate email. The govt. has given RIM a deadline of March 31 to provide a working solution for the encrypted corporate emails, reported The Economic Times. On the other hand, RIM is sticking to its standard reply that the demand is technologically infeasible.

Last month, we reported that Indian Home Minister P. Chidambaram told the media that the govt. will insist RIM to provide lawful access to the encrypted corporate email services. Now, the Intelligence agencies, Interior ministry and telecom ministry believe that RIM might have provided a solution to the govts. of Saudi Arabia, UAE, China and US. ET cited "an official" aware with the developments and stated that the govt. will be talking with RIM to strike a similar deal for India.

RIM had provided the Indian govt. with a solution to access BlackBerry Messenger services in January this year. Sachin Pilot, junior Telecoms Minister, told in the Parliament that the Indian Security Agencies aren't satisfied with RIM's solution to access the BBM data. That was bit surprising and in defense, RIM confidently claimed that the BBM solution was adequate enough.

RIM has stated that the encryption key to the corporate email lies with the BIS server users i.e; the companies who have bought and implemented the RIM's corporate email solution. So indirectly, RIM wants the Indian govt. to seek the encryption keys from the respective Indian companies.

The battle between RIM and the govt. of India has been going on since the last three years, and the battle continues.

Indian Govt. Demands RIM Email Access by March 31 > Telecom > Techtree.com

with money you can do anything in India

Gov already give more than 10 deadline to RIM (WTF they are doing )

Hey India has so much talent in IT industry, they provide their super duper IT engineers and programmers to the whole world, why don't the GOI decide to ban the Black Berry service in India and ask it's capable IT manpower to come up with a similar but indigenous service with some exotic south Indian name like "Black Booty" for example.

y dont u go and brain fart some where else than in a public forum yes we know what to do first worry about ur country than about india..................
and one more thing post reported

y dont u go and brain fart some where else than in a public forum yes we know what to do first worry about ur country than about india..................
and one more thing post reported

why are you smouldering, I gave a very honest suggestion, may be you didn't like the name. Actually I wanted to say beauty then I thought of bollybood and my fingers slipped on the keyboard.............

Chill out man

why are you smouldering, I gave a very honest suggestion, may be you didn't like the name. Actually I wanted to say beauty then I thought of bollybood and my fingers slipped on the keyboard.............

Chill out man

If need be we can do it. No problem. Link

But then we get a sadistic pleasure in beating down a huge MNC to comply with our demands. :lol:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom