What's new

Indian General Elections - 2014

Whom will you Vote for in 2014 General Elections??

• Total voters
In 'Secular' Mulayam's UP, a Muslim DGP is brutally killed. In 'communal' Modi's Gujarat, Muslim children are winning medals in Sanskrit!!

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Nero Hour | Saba Naqvi

To keep track of the various Gujarat riot cases is to enter a legal maze. But in the cycle of events and non-events that routinely take place over the cases linked to the horrific events of 2002, the questioning of Narendra Modi is significant. If it happens on March 21, as scheduled, it would be the first such questioning of the man who presided over the state as the carnage spread and blood was spilt. Modi is supposed to appear before the Supreme Court appointed Special Investigative Team (SIT) for questioning regarding the murder of ex-Congress MP Ehsan Jafri and 68 others in the massacre at the Gulbarg Society on February 28, 2002.

As Outlook was going to press on March 18, the odds were placed on Modi appearing before the SIT, although the possibility of him taking advantage of legal confusion to avoid questioning also remains. Sources close to the CM in Ahmedabad said there would be consultations with lawyers till the last day and he would possibly take a call on the day before the appearance. Meanwhile, BJP sources in Delhi say, “It may be better for him to go as avoiding questioning may not always be possible.”

That Dark Night Zakia Jafri and Teesta Setalvad visit her Gulbarg Society home in Feb ’10

He has, however, managed to avoid it for eight years. Many weary lawyers who live in Gujarat and have tried to hold Modi accountable say, “If he shows up, be certain he will also show off.” Besides, his round of questioning involves only one case. Zakia, the widow of Jafri, wanted an FIR lodged against 62 individuals, including Modi, his ministers, bureaucrats and senior police officers. Since the police in Gujarat refused, she approached the Supreme Court which asked the SIT to take up the matter. The SIT, set up two years ago to look into many high-profile cases, functions as an investigative arm of the Supreme Court.

Outlook has learnt from well-placed sources that the SIT has no direct evidence of mobile phone records of Jafri speaking to Modi and requesting help. In those days, says a source, mobile connectivity was limited and Jafri may have used a land line as he spoke to several people. Shockingly, the landline phone records have disappeared. Many suspect the complicity of police officers who do not want the cases investigated. Yet, the SIT has apparently spoken to some 60 to 70 witnesses linked to the case and, after questioning Modi, can advise the court to investigate him further or lodge an fir against him.

A Gujarat government official told Outlook that if there was political will, Modi could have been charged under section 120 B of the IPC for “criminal conspiracy”, which is often described as the “favourite law of top cops”. The official adds that it is hard to get convictions for conspiracy but in the case of Modi, a political point would have been made. It is, he says, “an expansive charge” and conspiracy suggests “a meeting of minds”. Mukul Sinha, who is fighting some of the key riot cases, says, “The conspiracy section of IPC could have been easily applied against the CM. Doesn’t the US hold Osama bin Laden responsible for terrorism even though he did not fly the planes into the World Trade Center?”

The SIT has no evidence of Ehsan Jafri speaking to Modi for help during the attack. The landline records have vanished.

The credibility of the SIT has been seriously damaged with recent allegations that a witness in the torching of the Sabarmati Express was abducted and tortured by SIT officers. They wanted him to change his statement. Says human rights lawyer Colin Gonsalvez: “The fear is that the SIT will not punish the guilty and continue to prosecute the innocent. One can only hope we are all wrong.”
Equally revealing is the account of R.K. Shah, one of Ahmedabad’s most respected lawyers. He recently quit as special public prosecutor of the Gulbarg Society case because he found it impossible to work with the SIT. He describes their tactics: “Here I am collecting witnesses who know something about a gruesome case in which so many people, mostly women and children huddled in Jafri’s house, were killed and I get no cooperation. The SIT officers are unsympathetic towards witnesses, they try to browbeat them and don’t share evidence with the prosecution as they are supposed to do.”

In control? SIT chief R.K. Raghavan

Shah also told Outlook that the day after his resignation, the SIT chief R.K. Raghavan called him up and requested him to stay on “for the sake of the victims”. Raghavan, a former director of the CBI, also sent a fax to Shah. But Shah says: “Raghavan is from outside Gujarat so he may have good intentions. But what can he do with those police officers who want to cover up everything? I know how they operate. They keep preparing documents in Gujarati to confuse Raghavan and the few officers he has brought from outside.”

Outlook has also learnt that the SIT intends to have Modi questioned by retired CBI officer A.K. Malhotra, who is also from outside Gujarat. If the CM does turn up, there will be questions about the meeting he held in Gandhinagar on February 27 to review the fallout of the Godhra train incident. Did Modi tell officers to “let Hindus vent their anger”, as former police officer R.B. Sreekumar has alleged? Many individuals Jafri called desperately on that dreadful night have also testified that he told them he requested Modi for help but the CM was not helpful. Will the SIT suggest that such evidence is enough to implicate Modi in the conspiracy?

The SIT can certainly conclude that Modi, at the very least, deliberately looked the other way and failed to stop the violence. It can make a case for the Supreme Court to censure Modi. If it fails to do even this, one could say the entire exercise was another legal disaster in the tortured journey of the Gujarat riot victims.

@doublemaster Where did I say BJP was good. BJP minister is behind the jail for life,. So is Babu Bajrangi, the leader of Bajrang Dal. You got 2 top leaders in jail. Tell me in which case of riots, this example has been set ?

I am defending Modi because I look beyond 2002 riots. You don't apprecite his work for 6 crores GUjarati, Muslim included. Why you don't admit that even Muslims of Gujarat has acceped him as leader and moved on with their life.

Read Gujarat's history first. How common riots were. After 2002, there hasn't been a single case of Riots,

And if you don' know why Police couldn't control riots, you should ask 3 neighboring states ruled by Congress who denied to send their police when Modi requested for it. Army came late because it was busy in Operation Parakram.

Are you going to vote over 2002 riot or for entire nation ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@KRAIT you are wasting your time.

There is no point in asking the Muslims to vote for Modi. They are so thoroughly brainwashed that whatever people say, how much ever facts are thrown in their face, they will keep parrotting the same lines of propaganda over and over and frankly after some time it gets so annoying.

Rather than try to convince these people, the Hindus must take a leaf out of the books of these guys and vote for their identity, vote for Modi, rather than harping on some bakchod concepts like secularism that only some deluded Hindus believe nowadays. No Muslim believes in that.

We need to check the birthrate of future would be vote bank before it's out of hand , it's necessary for maintaing the actual demography of India.Why don't anybody talks about it ??? Population explosion should be checked.God knows when 2011 census result for would be made public.

There is no point in asking the Muslims to vote for Modi. They are so thoroughly brainwashed that whatever people say, how much ever facts are thrown in their face, they will keep parrotting the same lines of propaganda over and over and frankly after some time it gets so annoying.

Rather than try to convince these people, the Hindus must take a leaf out of the books of these guys and vote for their identity, vote for Modi, rather than harping on some bakchod concepts like secularism that only some deluded Hindus believe nowadays. No Muslim believes in that.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

If people want Modi to become PM please devote your time trying to convince other Hindus to vote for him. Spend your time in effectively showcasing how Hindus are under siege in their own country and how their naive secular nature will be their downfall.

Convincing non dharmic religious minorities to support Modi is a waste of time. No amount of logic is going to counter greed and fear.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

If people want Modi to become PM please devote your time trying to convince other Hindus to vote for him. Spend your time in effectively showcasing how Hindus are under siege in their own country and how their naive secular nature will be their downfall.

Convincing non dharmic religious minorities to support Modi is a waste of time. No amount of logic is going to counter greed and fear.

@KS - please don't generalize.. Muslims in Gujarat have voted in support of Modi.. Also there are muslim party workers in BJP.. Because of congressi Muslim supporters you can not run them down..point is one can not hold rigid positions when it comes to elections. The more we talk non sense the more we are gonna alienate the potential supporters..

SONIA GANDHI during her speech told a story...

"There was a father who gave 100 rupees each to his 3 sons and asked them to buy things and fill up a room completely.

First son bought woods for Rs. 100 but couldn't fill the room entirely.
Second son bought cotton for Rs. 100 but couldn't fill the room entirely.

Third son bought a candle for Rs. 1 and lit it up and the room was filled with light completely."

Kapil Sibbal added "RAHUL GANDHI is like the third son,
Since the day he has taken charge of his office, our country is filled with the bright light of prosperity."
Narendra Modi asked:
"Woh sab toh theek hai,,,
Where are the remaining Rs. 99 ?"

:lol::lol::lol:

182492_10151274101886548_1521772390_n.jpg

@KS - please don't generalize.. Muslims in Gujarat have voted in support of Modi.. Also there are muslim party workers in BJP.. Because of congressi Muslim supporters you can not run them down..point is one can not hold rigid positions when it comes to elections. The more we talk non sense the more we are gonna alienate them..

Instead of letting wishful thinking replace logic, Why don't you looks at facts objectively?

Why this muslim majority town in gujarat voted for Narendra Modi

Salaya, Jamnagar: Salem Mohammad Baghaad's resume reveals a history of political promiscuity. The 45-year-old has, at different points in his career as a member of the local corporation in his hometown of Salaya, represented the Congress, the Samata Party and others.

But it is his partnership with the BJP that has delivered the richest returns. Yesterday, Mr Baghaad and 26 other Muslims won their seats in the corporation contesting for the BJP. Narendra Modi's party will, for the first time, govern the local corporation in Salaya, a town where Muslims form 90 percent of the population.

"Honestly, joining the BJP was a tough decision for me," Mr Baghaad says. "But I was confident about myself, about my decision. I knew if I joined hands with Mr Modi, it will mean more benefits for the town and more development."

You can see for yourself that even muslim BJP leaders who won first tried everything in their book to defeat the BJP.....its only when they realized that BJP in Gujarat cannot be defeated, they took the 'difficult' decision to join the winning side.

This story will be repeated in all over India. Unless the Minorities realize that BJP is going to Win anyway they are not going to vote for BJP. They will rather vote Anti-BJP in the hope that BJP can loose.

......look at Jamalpur-Khadia a bit closely. This seat estimated to have 61.3% of Muslims, of the total 10 candidates trying their luck on this seat, seven were Muslims. If total the number of votes polled by all Muslim candidates then it comes out to be 60.4% votes, very close to their share in the population. Of course these seven Muslim candidates or at least the Congress nominee must have attracted some non-Muslim votes too so the percentage of Muslims voting for BJP should be higher than 1%.

Bharuch is the only seat from our list of 34 where Congress candidates polled (35.5%) less than the Muslim share in the population (38%). BJP won this seat by polling 59.5% of votes indicating clearly that Musims here voted for BJP but difficult to say if Muslim votes for BJP crossed more than a single digit percentage.

Unfortunately, other six seats with Muslim Congress candidates also give no clue as to what percentage of Muslim may have voted for BJP. In all those seats combined total of votes polled by all Muslim candidates is higher than their share in the population in those areas. This suggests that in fact, Muslims candidates were able to attract some non-Muslim voters.

Reality is a bit more harsh than wishful thinking. Cold realities of Indian politics is BJP has no chance unless it can manage to corner a majority of Hindu votes. Only then it can hope to get a maximum of 10% - 20% of minority votes.

Narendra Modi arrives in Goa

PANAJI: Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi arrived in Goa on Tuesday to attend a mega wedding celebration of an industrialist's son in Bambolim. He was given a rousing welcome on his arrival Tuesday evening at Dabolim airport by the state BJP while musicians played traditional music .

Chief minister Manohar Parrikar took time off to greet Modi who is seemingly getting support to be projected as BJP prime ministerial candidate.

A large number of BJP workers gathered outside the Dabolim airport to welcome the leader with dhol tashe.

@arp2041 Great Thread brother, joined a little late!

INDIA TODAY MOOD OF THE NATION SURVEY - 2013:

graph_012413102048.jpg

This is a depressing figure if we analyse it deeply. there are no two ways about the fact that UPA is going to loose a significant bit of its vote share, but question is who gains. The figure mentioned above shows a really bleak picture as far as stability is concerned. I'm not sure what constitutes the third front, but it winning about the same number of seats as UPA (projected no.s) spells doom for our economy. If the predictions do come true (i sincerly hope they don't) we can start preparing for another general election in 2016-17.
And secondly under these circumstances what can happen is Congress may support the Third front with some puppet PM for a couple of years by the time it will cover its lost ground.
Thirdly with an outside support I don't see Modi or Arun jaitley (two of prospective PM candidates) doing any better than MMS. Coalition dharma will ultimately lead to another lameduck government lumbering through its tenure.
Forth (& most important) point, a lot would depend on which of the two allainces actually keeps its alliance intact. it is a known fact that people like Mulayam, Mayawati and to some extent Mamata will gravitate towards the largest alliance and this can make the game interesting.

@KRAIT is a HYPOkrait & @seiko is banned from PDF only, imagine the conditions when he will be running an entire country.

Sorry, but these two choices are WRONG & they will take India in reverse gear :D

Don't know about PM, but I suppose we can get some Indian member from PDF to be country's next Defence minister others can form an advisory council:P

@arp2041 Great Thread brother, joined a little late!
@anant_s thanks bro. np.

This is a depressing figure if we analyse it deeply. there are no two ways about the fact that UPA is going to loose a significant bit of its vote share, but question is who gains.

If you ask me, i am not tense at all. I think over the years, Indian Polity has matured a lot, If one analyzes past years assembly & LS elections than one can easily see that People have desired for a stability in state & center. Just two examples will suffice:

2009 LS polls - Every Opinion poll was suggesting that UPA will emerge as the largest alliance with around 210 seats, but it ended up in 260 with Just Congress chipping it with 205.

2012 UP assembly elctions - Every Opinion poll was suggesting that SP will get around 180 seats but not simple majority, but in the end, SP made history with around 225 seats.

Thus, my point is that the people after analyzing the opinion polls are actually voting for the largest party/alliance to strengthen it's nos. more, in this case it is NDA.

Anyways, since 2009 there has been a trend that NDA is increasing it's tally in each opinion poll & UPA's tally is decreasing. 1 year still to go, 208 is bound to increase.

IMHO, NDA as it is now, will end up with 260 seats if not more.

The figure mentioned above shows a really bleak picture as far as stability is concerned. I'm not sure what constitutes the third front, but it winning about the same number of seats as UPA (projected no.s) spells doom for our economy. If the predictions do come true (i sincerly hope they don't) we can start preparing for another general election in 2016-17.

Third Front is just a Mirage. It's just a lose coalition of parties which will ultimately join either of the two fronts, but they have kept there so called front such that they can get a better deal from either of the two fronts.

And secondly under these circumstances what can happen is Congress may support the Third front with some puppet PM for a couple of years by the time it will cover its lost ground.

I don't think Congress will now take any step which seems against DEMOCRACY. If NDA emerges the largest alliance, it will be given it's due time to form a govt., Congress will support a TF govt. only when NDA/BJP is unable to form a govt., remember 1996??

Thirdly with an outside support I don't see Modi or Arun jaitley (two of prospective PM candidates) doing any better than MMS. Coalition dharma will ultimately lead to another lameduck government lumbering through its tenure.

It's not about Coalition Dharma, it's about your will power, i must say here that Congress under UPA-1 had more will power for reforms than Congress in UPA-2, even when it had 60 more seats in UPA-2. Remember Indo-US nuke deal?? Even when a Political Power block - The Left with 60+ seats was AGAINST it's signing, MMS went ahead with it even at the cost of his govt., i think this decision was the reason why Congress emerged stronger in 2009 LS election, but this was not people wanted to see in the UPA-2.

Forth (& most important) point, a lot would depend on which of the two allainces actually keeps its alliance intact. it is a known fact that people like Mulayam, Mayawati and to some extent Mamata will gravitate towards the largest alliance and this can make the game interesting.

It will be all about nos., BJP with 180+ seats means that every party except Left will be willing to support it.

Ideologies are just a mask some parties wear to fool common man, but it's always was, always is & always will be about POWER.

Back
Top Bottom