What's new

Indian firm bags Army’s Rs 140-crore deal for high altitude UAVs, eyes exports too

You are not grasping the simple economics of making critical technologies, military assets through your own industries, and it always costs more to start one's own ecosystem.

Your link is a generic blah blah page by some company in Pakistan, and It does not prove/show or speak specifically that our Border patrol bought any drones from Pakistan, a claim you made earlier. Please stop kindly stop spreading such tall claims. there is no eagle drone or any drone we purchased from Pakistan
The above system is not a UCAV, its a UAV, commercial off the shelf technology. What you are saying applies to to armed items subject to export control laws.

The above system is not a UCAV, its a UAV, commercial off the shelf technology. What you are saying applies to to armed items subject to export control laws.

I don't know how many ways you need to hear this. THERE is NO Pakistani drone bought by our border patrol, please quit making such fake claims. We have our own advanced drones and SMALL drones

I don't know how many ways you need to hear this. THERE is NO Pakistani drone bought by our border patrol, please quit making such fake claims. We have our own advanced drones and SMALL drones

ID exports were years ago whatever was exported would have been end of life now but what about the DJI ones. If something commercially available and its non combat it can be procured.

I don't think you follow Pakistan's defence exhibitions we have a pretty good drone private sector and because of price competitiveness it's thriving on exports to middle East and couple of years back even sold to US border management.
Building something yourself is risky as the product might fail but take the risk and do it yourself for three reasons.
1. What you need doesn't exist.
2. What you want is available but they are not willing to sell it to you.
3. You think you can make it cheaper yourself.
If above three are not met and you still spend time and money to build a product it's bad planning. For indiginisation argument if the volume exists can negotiate local license production and win win for everyone.

In this case they would be saving money building locally but again the main issue is claiming to invent something that is already there and boasting about is not innovation it is ego and arrogance. And what makes it worse is they've been buying off the shelf drones and rebranding as own.

On the contrary I follow these exhibitions and intimately know the companies and people you allude to. You gave a link to ID in one of your posts. I suggest you talk to Sabri sahb about this topic and your views on it and let me know where he stands on this. You want to bet what he'll say? You can also speak to Dr. Haroon of EastWestInfiniti and hear his views (which can be found on youtube so you dont need to know him personally).

The point is not blind indigenization. It is build-up and support of local industry that can pay massive dividends in the future.

You are ignoring the economic and security aspects and keep focusing on making something only if you can't immediately make it for cheaper. Not sure if you realize that almost any product will be more expensive when you first try to make it yourself. If what you said was how everyone thought the entire world would trade with everyone freely (no trade agreements or tariffs) and basically everything would be made by China or the US.

I believe enough arguments have been made on this thread and an interested reader can form their own opinions at this point. Let's agree to disagree. Thanks for your time.

On the contrary I follow these exhibitions and intimately know the companies and people you allude to. You gave a link to ID in one of your posts. I suggest you talk to Sabri sahb about this topic and your views on it and let me know where he stands on this. You want to bet what he'll say? You can also speak to Dr. Haroon of EastWestInfiniti and hear his views (which can be found on youtube so you dont need to know him personally).

The point is not blind indigenization. It is build-up and support of local industry that can pay massive dividends in the future.

You are ignoring the economic and security aspects and keep focusing on making something only if you can't immediately make it for cheaper. Not sure if you realize that almost any product will be more expensive when you first try to make it yourself. If what you said was how everyone thought the entire world would trade with everyone freely (no trade agreements or tariffs) and basically everything would be made by China or the US.

I believe enough arguments have been made on this thread and an interested reader can form their own opinions at this point. Let's agree to disagree. Thanks for your time.
This is why during procurement it is decided whether to go for open tender or self R&D full system or sub components.

ID exports were years ago whatever was exported would have been end of life now but what about the DJI ones. If something commercially available and its non combat it can be procured.

NOPE. There was never a Pakistani drone bought by our border patrol years ago, decades ago, or ever. Why lie about something as easily verified as this.

NOPE. There was never a Pakistani drone bought by our border patrol years ago, decades ago, or ever. Why lie about something as easily verified as this.
"

Karachi-based Integrated Dynamics in the past produced UAVs primarily for the Pakistani military but is now moving into the civil arena, where it is focusing on markets like law enforcement, surveillance, surveying etc. The company manufactures 15 different UAVs, most of which are small – the smallest weighs just 800 grams.

Khan said that his company has exported its products to such places as the United States, Australia, Spain, Libya and South Korea. The Border Eagle system is being used by the United States for border patrol. Khan added that potential South African customers had approached the company regarding the use of its UAVs for anti-poaching missions. However, no sales have yet been forthcoming from South Africa.

"
Guy is a MIT graduate and has great contributions for civilian applications of drones as wellas you can find his talks on TED
This is pretty old news and janes had a link on it too, now its giving 404 error. Just let it rest.

"

Karachi-based Integrated Dynamics in the past produced UAVs primarily for the Pakistani military but is now moving into the civil arena, where it is focusing on markets like law enforcement, surveillance, surveying etc. The company manufactures 15 different UAVs, most of which are small – the smallest weighs just 800 grams.

Khan said that his company has exported its products to such places as the United States, Australia, Spain, Libya and South Korea. The Border Eagle system is being used by the United States for border patrol. Khan added that potential South African customers had approached the company regarding the use of its UAVs for anti-poaching missions. However, no sales have yet been forthcoming from South Africa.

"
Guy is a MIT graduate and has great contributions for civilian applications of drones as wellas you can find his talks on TED
This is pretty old news and janes had a link on it too, now its giving 404 error. Just let it rest.

Khan is making fake claims to elevate his status at some conference to the Pakistani audience- There is no border eagle system used by border patrol nor has it ever been bought in 2012 or ever. We have had far more advanced small drones in our inventory for over a decade

in 2011 khan had to go into hiding because people thought he was helping Americans with its Predator drone program (which was bombing high-value militants in Pakistan), which he denied he ever worked or sold to Americans. He also said his drones were exclusively for peace programs never the military. But in 2016 he was back bragging how his drones were being used by military programs. The gentleman tends to make tall claims.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom