What's new

Indian Economy - News & Updates - Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. destructlord,

You need to re-read your figures for Iran. Total GDP of Iran is 386 billion, how could you have foreign reserve of 500 billion. Look at your figures again and come back.

Thanks.

I was talking about national reserve not foreign reserve my friend! and last time i checked Iranian National Reserve it was around $500.010 billion USD! :D Or at least thats what they say! :D

And however thats still not much! Iran population is around 68 million but India population is more than 1 billion!!

Last edited:
I was talking about national reserve not foreign reserve my friend! and last time i checked Iranian National Reserve it was around $500.010 billion USD! :D Or at least thats what they say! :D

And however thats still not much! Iran population is around 68 million but India population is more than 1 billion!!

dude can you plz explain what are National Reserve.

France looks to double trade with India

France and India have many opportunities for economic co-operation and there is a scope to double the trade between the two countries
in the near future. This was expressed by Anne-Marie Idrac, French minister for foreign trade, who was in the city to visit the manufacturing facilities at Bharat Forge Limited.

Idrac told the media on the sidelines of her visit that India and France can work together in areas such as energy, infrastructure, technology and services such as hospitality, healthcare and personal care.

"About 3 per cent of France's external trade is with India, while India's trade with France is 20 per cent of its world trade. So we see good scope for stronger economic ties," Idrac noted. According to her, against the background of the India-US civil nuclear energy deal, newer avenues will open for India to benefit from France's strength in power generation and equipment. India's energy needs are huge and French companies can extend their capabilities to India for a strong growth in the energy and infrastructure, she added.

French power equipment major Alstom has a sizeable presence in India and has also recently signed an agreement with Bharat Forge to set up a joint venture for manufacturing super critical turbine island power plant equipment. Bharat Forge has recently signed a joint venture agreement with another French industry major Areva for manufacturing heavy forgings and components required for nuclear reactors.

Allaying concerns over media reports that troubled companies in France will not be comfortable selling their businesses to Indian owners, Idrac said France has put in place many investor-friendly policies, including taxation incentives and a flexible legal framework, especially in respect of labour legislation. "The French Agency for International Investment is very active in canvassing investments from Indian industries in our country," she added.

India FY09 GDP estimate at 7.1%

India FY09 GDP estimate at 7.1%

February 09, 2009 12:39 IST

Given the impact of the global financial meltdown, the government today projected Indian economic growth to slow down to 7.1 per cent in the current fiscal against 9 per cent in 2007-08.

Even though economic growth is slowing down, it is on expected lines and the rate projected has been as predicted by the Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Panel.

While manufacturing, agriculture, power, construction and financial services are likely to pull down growth, services including trade and hotels as well as mining are projected to give a push to the economy.

Agriculture is set to grow by 2.6 per cent in 2008-09 against 4.9 per cent in the previous fiscal, manufacturing is likely to expand by 4.1 per cent against 8.2 per cent, and construction by 6.5 per cent against 10.1 per cent.

Financial, insurance, real estate and business services are set to grow by 8.6 per cent against 11.7 per cent.

On the other hand, the category of trade, hotels, transport and communication is projected to grow by 10.3 per cent against 12.4 per cent and community, social and personal services by 9.3 per cent against 6.8 per cent.

These are advance estimates by the Central Statistical Organisation (CSO) and actual growth figures may not exactly be the same.

interesting to know that, please give a little brief on this NTR, so that a better understanding can be developed.

thanks.

Sure Look mate we are under the sanctions for over 30 years, Thats help us to avoid the sanctions a little bit, Recently oil got very cheaper, The treasury help us to continue the development even by selling $42 oil.

Regards

Sure Look mate we are under the sanctions for over 30 years, Thats help us to avoid the sanctions a little bit, Recently oil got very cheaper, The treasury help us to continue the development even by selling $42 oil.

Regards

thanks for the reply, but what i was looking at was how dose this amount get collected, and what are the components of ntr.

thanks and regards.

They collect some amount of money every year!
$500.010 billion been collected during the 4 year! Sometimes when we need finance for construction and infrastructure, We take it from the treasury! :D However we also have the National budget approved by Majlis from the export income and revenues.

India plans extra borrowing of $9.45bn in 08/09

NEW DELHI: India will borrow an extra $9.45 billion by late March from the market, an official said on Tuesday, sending bond yields higher and raising concerns about the state of public finances. The extra borrowings are largely aimed at supporting the economy, which is expected to expand at its slowest pace in six years in 2008/09 as the global economic crisis takes a toll. “We had discussions with the Reserve Bank of India. The borrowing will be between Feb 20 and March 20 to the order of 46,000 crore (460 billion rupees),” Economic Affairs Secretary Ashok Chawla told reporters. He said the extra borrowing would be done in four tranches. India’s fiscal year ends on March 31. The government’s finances have deteriorated in 2008/09 due to increase in salaries of government employees, large subsidies on oil and fertilisers and waivers on loans for small farmers, prompting the government to borrow more from the market. A slowing economy has meant that the government receipts have remained sluggish while it had to forego a substantial amount in duty which were aimed at boosting demand. The central bank said it would conduct the market borrowings in a non-disruptive manner. Fitch Ratings affirmed India’s ratings on Monday but kept its negative outlook on the local currency rating, saying public finances will deteriorate due to a weakening economy and government stimulus measures. Fitch forecast India’s general government deficit will reach 9.5 percent of gross domestic product in 2008/09, up from 6.1 percent in the previous year. The agency includes oil and fertiliser bonds in its estimates. This is sharply higher than a central bank projection of around 7 percent of GDP and an estimate of 8 percent of GDP by an economic advisory council to the prime minister. reuters

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Economy already showing signs of recovery: Kamath

After a week of suffering very dismal news in Davos where the World Economic Forum (WEF) ,et, one came back with the sense that there was little hope that 2009 will bring any positive news to the global economy because of which India will continue to suffer.

However, that one voice that is always more optimist than those of others is that of KV Kamath, President of CII and MD and CEO of ICICI Bank. He believes that there are signs of a recovery already. India is not hurt as much as most of the economies around the world are, Kamath says.

Kamath says that the growth consensus is between 6 per cent and 7 per cent–7.5per cent for a year ahead and believes that 7.5 per cent number is also doable.

Kamath is of the view that the impact of global factors on India will not be very significant. According to him, India is not in need of a fiscal stimulus package but textiles, export industries, particularly in the small and medium enterprise (SME) sector, are in need of a helping hand urgently.

"To me, that is more than a fiscal stimulus, it would be direct injection of support in whatever form, a subsidy or otherwise."

Here is a verbatim transcript of the exclusive interview with KV Kamath on CNBC-TV18. Also watch the accompanying video.

CNBC TV18: I think that will be the one biggest statement anyone has heard this month that is you actually believe that there are signs of a soft landing for India or a recovery for India already in sight.

KV Kamath: Indeed; if you look at what others said: consensus is between growth of maybe 6% to 7%–7.5% for looking a year ahead. I believe that 7.5% number is doable. So India is not hurt as much as most of the economies around the world are.

How do I say that we will be at the upper end of this number? I think it is based on a dipstick survey amongst the CII CEOs. This was at the last National Council Meeting when we had about 45 out of 50 CEOs present. These same CEOs in November had no confidence at all that we would be up and doing things that we are doing today.

Same was the story in October whereas the same set of CEOs in July was extremely bullish. I am not saying that their confidence level just now is what it was in July but it certainly is quite different from what it was in November and I can explain this in more details as we go ahead.

CNBC TV18: You are saying 7.5% based on the positive comments that you are getting from CII manufacturers but the same industry leaders when we speak to them are asking for fiscal stimulus packages.

They are saying that earnings will continue to deteriorate, so on what basis do you believe that we are actually going to see a turnaround happened in the next two-three months?

KV Kamath: The steel industry was seeing no pick-up of stocks from the yard at all during most part of the last quarter. Today, that industry is back to full capacity production.

I am taking that as one basic mother industry, which actually feeds other industries. The same is the story with cement, you then go on to motorcycles — back at almost full capacity; you go to commercial vehicles, which is hurting badly; cars somewhere in between, so you have a sketchy sort of situation.

Let us see what sectors are doing well. Rural India continues to do well and that is 45% of the economy; you then have FMCG still doing well growing at 15-20% not 20-25%; knowledge areas i.e. services sector not growing at 20-25% again growing at 15-20%.

So the areas which are truly hurting now could be commercial vehicles, textiles, auto ancillaries and some areas of downstream oil where adjustment process is going on.

So if you take weight of all these things that I have talked about, you probably see about 75-80% of India back on track. Nothing stops us from doing the infrastructure investment that we need to do – that will happen; inflationary numbers are now looked at as probably 0% to 2%; interest rates probably set to fall another 1-2%.

To me that is hugely positive along with opportunity in infrastructure and the fact that most of these sectors that I have talked about are coming back to normal except for maybe 20% and that is where I say you do a weighting of all these things and you are looking at numbers back to 7-7.5%.

I will possibly then try to pitch too my past record — I have had in this is always being more optimistic than the others and probably being right over the last 10 years or so.

CNBC TV18: So you are saying that this the last quarter of pain — this January to March quarter — and that starting the next quarter in the beginning of the next fiscal earnings will start bouncing back?

KV Kamath: Yes. If you look at corporate India, they have had quarter-on-quarter (QoQ) growth of more than 20% for almost 18 quarters and this is the first quarter where we are all probably looking at a 15% deceleration in that growth — and that was a quarter when oil corrected by 66%, most of the commodities corrected by 66%.

Every company which was right in it got all their raw materials, all their work in process and finished good re-priced. So to me probably the worst hit was the quarter ending December, maybe some more hit in this quarter and then we should be back into a clearer territory with inflation down to near 0%, all output prices redone as it were because of input cost going down and interest rates coming down.

CNBC TV18: Do you believe that this is irrespective of what happens in the global economy because I know that the prognosis for the global economy in 2009? I am sure you have heard that as well while you were in Davos, was incredibly dismal. Everyone believed that 2009 would be if not as difficult an even more difficult year than 2008?

KV Kamath: I entirely agree with you on that part. The global scenario as seen through the lens of global entrepreneurs, global bankers or global thought leaders is really dismal. How much would it impact us? Yes, it will impact us to the extent we export but to the extent we import, we are going to get things much cheaper than we did. So it will have an impact but that impact I am factoring into that 20% which is of our growth which is impacted, the rest 80% should do well.

Economy already showing signs of recovery: Kamath

India not moving in sync with US encouraging: JP Morgan

The US government financial stability plan failed to cheer markets there with indices seeing 4% cuts. The plan consists of four main components. It envisages setting up of a public-private fund to mop up to USD 500 billion of spoiled bank assets. It will also set up a consumer-lending facility to support up to USD 1 trillion in new lending. The plan will devote up to USD 50 billion to help stem home foreclosures and provide new funding to banks after a stress test to determine if the bank is healthy.

Commenting on this development, Adrian Mowat, Chief Asian and Emerging Equity Strategist, JP Morgan, feels the market sell-off makes sense as it expected more clarity from the US bailout plan. "Hedge funds are shorting markets on disappointment from the bailout plan."

Mowat expects Asia to be impacted by the capital market correlation, not economic slowdown. India, he said, is charting its own course away from US, which is an encouraging trend.

India not moving in sync with US encouraging: JP Morgan

Asia to play a major role in global revival: Montek Singh Ahluwalia

The next 20 years will be very different from the last 20 with regard to the global geo-economic scenario and the world’s financial system. Planning Commission Deputy Chairman, Dr Montek Singh Ahluwalia said this at the launch of the book ‘India’s Strategic Interests in Southeast Asia and Singapore’ by Ambassador See Chak Mun in New Delhi , today.

The event was jointly organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Aspen Institute India and Institute of South Asian Studies (iSAS).

Pointing out that the book has come at a very significant time when the world is going through a financial crisis and Asia is likely to play a major part in the global revival, Dr Ahluwalia said, “Global crisis is likely to strengthen ties between Asian nations.”

He said that there is “going to be a restructuring of global financial system which was till the crisis operating from New York and Washington.” The global crisis, he added, has proved that the highly sophisticated global financial system too could fail. “There is going to be much greater decentralization of financial and economic resources in the world and more financial systems will come up in future,” Dr Ahluwalia said. “There will be intensification of intra-regional flows and as Asian nations – China, India and East Asia as a bloc – will play a major role in the revival of global financial system, integration between these nations will increase,” he observed.

Earlier, Ambassador See Chak Mun, Senior Fellow at iSAS, introduced his book to the gathering by saying that “four-and-a-half-years in India as High Commissioner fuelled my interest in India and inspired me to write the book.” He spoke in detail about the evolving interaction between India and Southeast Asia over the last six decades and said that following former Prime Minister Narasimha Rao’s Look East policy, India’s interests in the region have increased. “This is a good development,” he said.

The thought was echoed by Prof. Tommy Koh, Ambassador-at-large, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore. He agreed with Ambassador Chak Mun and said that “re-emergence of India is a good thing and welcomed by us as India has a non-threatening presence.” He quoted his Prime Minister saying, “India should consider Singapore as its last outpost.”

Mr N K Singh, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha, said that “Asian nations should play an important and catalytic role in global revival.” He pointed out that Asian nations like China, Japan and India have huge foreign exchange reserves and thus “they should lead the charge in changing from export-led strategy to consumption-led strategy.” This, according to him, would be a major step towards bringing about a revival in global financial system.

The session was moderated by Mr Tarun Das, Chief Mentor, CII, who welcomed the distinguished guests and introduced them to the audience.

South Asia to expand regional trade by 25% to stem global eco woes

New Delhi, Feb 11: South Asian countries on Wednesday agreed to expand free trade within the region by 25 per cent in the next one year to make up for declining demand in the west for the merchandise produced in the Saarc economies.

"We have adopted a report. We are basically looking at enhancing trade further. Sensitive list would be decreased by about 25 per cent, within another 12-months so that the trade is increased," Commerce Secretaries G K Pillai said after the two-day meeting of the commerce secretaries of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (Saarc) here.

Pillai, who presided over the meeting of the Committee on Economic Cooperation, said the members have agreed to prune the sensitive list by 25 per cent so that more goods produced in the region are traded within Saarc.

While the eight countries have operationalised Safta, they maintain barriers on items listed in the sensitive lists, thus blocking the potential for increasing trade in the USD 26-billion intra-Saarc region.

India's trade within South Asia was USD 11.72 billion in 2007-08. It was USD 5.91 billion in the first six months of the current fiscal.

Inflation at 4.39% vs 5.07%; experts see it at 0-3% soon

Inflation for week-ended January 31 has come in at 4.39% versus 5.07% week-on-week (WoW). Earlier, a poll conducted by CNBC-TV18 saw inflation at 4.30%.

The inflation number made headlines last year after it hit double digits. Post August though, the number has been steadily declining.

The WPI numbers for all commodities are down 0.7% at 228.4 (WoW) except for the fuel products group, which is down 3.1% (WoW).

Also, inflation for the week-ended December 5 has been revised to 6.56% versus 6.84% (provisional).

In an interview with CNBC-TV18 earlier , Davesh Kumar of Centrum Broking had said that he sees inflation between 0% and 3% by June, and interest rates in single-digits by October next year. "In case this materializes, then we will find that the last two quarters of FY10 will be good for corporates and the mood will be different."

In another interview, KV Kamath, President of CII and MD and CEO of ICICI Bank said that 75-80% of India back on track as inflationary numbers are now looked at as probably falling to 0% to 2%. "Iinterest rates will also fall another 1-2%."

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/n...-439-vs-507-experts-see-it-at-0-3-soon/385112

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom