What's new

Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

ye acha nhi kiya USA ne we have some extra respect of women in society

hmmm compare and decide who deserves respect ?

th

th

Last edited:
Diplomatic row: Angry and furious India hits back at US

- directed all US diplomats and consular officers posted in the country to return the identity cards issued to them.

- withdrawn airport passes for the US consulates/embassies personnel and their families.

- withdrawn VIP treatment to all US envoys across the nation. American diplomats will now have reduced immunity in India.

- The government has asked the Delhi police to lift traffic barricades, except the pickets, outside the US embassy.

- Delhi has also sought salary details of Indian staff working in US consulates, including by Consulate officers and families such as domestic help.

- Government seeks visa and other details of all teachers at US schools and salary and bank accounts of those of Indians in these schools.

- Visa details of all teachers at US schools, salaries paid and bank account details have also been sought.

- stopped all import clearances for the US embassy including liquor.

- Foreign Secretary Sujata Singh summoned Nancy Powell, American Ambassador to India, and lodged a strong protest over what India has described as ‘unacceptable treatment’ meted out to its consular officer in New York.

- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, BJP's prime ministerial candidate and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, and National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon have each refused to meet with visiting US delegations.

- India has argued that the US has violated Article 41 of the Vienna Convention, which states that a diplomat will only be arrested for a grave crime, and even if arrested, all courtesies will be extended to the diplomat.

Will India now act against gay US diplomats?
Yashwant Sinha calls for arrest of same-sex ‘companions’
IANS
December 17, 2013
New Delhi: With the Supreme Court once again criminalising same-sex relationships under the Indian Penal Code (IPC), will the Indian government take action against self-declared gay American diplomats who have sought diplomatic immunity for their same-sex partners?
With India threatening more actions against US diplomats until Washington renders an “unconditional apology” over the mistreatment of an Indian diplomatic official in New York, there is talk in official circles of invoking Section 377 of the IPC to book these diplomats and their partners under Indian laws, sources confirmed to IANS.
The US action also came in for condemnation by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders including former external affairs minister Yashwant Sinha, who said the government should punish same sex companions of US diplomats in India following the Supreme Court ruling against gay sex.
“Media has reported that we have issued visas to a number of US diplomats’ companions. ‘Companions’ means that they are of the same sex. Now, after the Supreme Court ruling, it is illegal in our country, just as paying less wages was illegal in the US.
“So, why does not the Government of India go ahead and arrest them and punish them,” Sinha said.
Diplomatic relations between countries are governed under the Vienna Convention for Diplomatic Relations and the Vienna Convention for Consular Relations under the principle of reciprocity. So when a country is seen to act against the Conventions against a country’s diplomats or embassy, the other country is well within its right to take reciprocal measures against the country.
Officials said the Indian government has in its knowledge many such American diplomats who have declared they had same-sex relationships and have sought immunity and other diplomatic facilities for their partners.
“We know who they are and, if we want, we can take action against them under Indian laws,” said one source with access to official thinking.
“But the fact remains that, under the law of the land, these are now illegal relationships and hence these people can be subject to criminal prosecution for which they do not enjoy diplomatic immunity,” the source said.
Officials, especially those who have dealt closely with the US, said Washington only understands tough language and gave the example of how the US suddenly withdrew certain tax priviliges to Indian diplomats about 10 years ago. In retaliaton, India imposed service tax liabilities on the US embassy operations here.
When the US embassy petitioned the government against the tax, they were told it could only be done if the tax privileges to Indian diplomats were restored. The US subsequently restored those privileges and New Delhi followed suit.
The latest diplomatic fracas escalated after Devyani Khobragade, the deputy consul general in New York, was arrested, handcuffed and humiliatingly strip searched, under what the US police calls its “standard procedures” after she was found to violate visa regulations for her Indian househelp.

Will India now act against gay US diplomats? | GulfNews.com

India terrorizing US embassy !!

bulldozer removing barricade from US embassy

17ss3.jpg

wow! I find this sudden spine Indian Foreign office has grown wrt USA very very suspicious...

the usual humiliation America giving to india but the funny thing is india members believed America love admire and respect them lol

hmmm compare and decide who deserves respect ?
th

th

I certainly respect her fashion sense :D She is 39 :woot:

If that was not enough, she is also a doctor (MBBS kind) who did her graduation from Mumbai before getting into IFS. She also speaks English, Hindi, German, and Marathi. So who deserves more respect ? :azn:

Devyani+Khobragade.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for Indians but I hope USA prosecutes her and exposes their entire diplomatic staff for such a treatment. When USA would violate geneva convention, it will have to face similar treatment when Raymond Devis like people breach local laws.

Personally I think India is feeling too raged. If she is arrested, things could've been settled diplomatically India has strong lobby in USA. Such public noise makes both side rigid.

Tearful Indian diplomat tells of invasive US body probe | GlobalPost

Tearful Indian diplomat tells of invasive US body probe
A female Indian diplomat told how she broke down in tears after being arrested, stripped and cavity-searched in New York, as the US embassy became the focus Wednesday of outrage at her treatment.

Devyani Khobragade, the deputy consul general in New York, described how she endured "repeated handcuffing, stripping and cavity searches" after her arrest which has sparked a series of diplomatic reprisals from India.

Nationalist protestors were due to gather at the American embassy in New Delhi to vent their anger, the day after mechanical diggers and tow-trucks removed security barricades from outside the mission.

Rattled by the scale of the anger in India, the US State Department sought to calm tensions and said the arrest last Thursday should not be allowed to damage bilateral relations.

The Indian media meanwhile hailed the government for its strong line as Khobragade's case dominated television news bulletins, in the build-up to national elections.

In an email to colleagues published by the media, Khobragade said she stressed to arresting authorities that she had diplomatic immunity only to suffer repeated searches and jailed with "common criminals".

"I must admit that I broke down many times as the indignities of repeated handcuffing, stripping and cavity searches, swabbing, in a hold-up with common criminals and drug addicts were all being imposed upon me despite my incessant assertions of immunity," she said in the email published in the Times of India.

"I got the strength to regain composure and remain dignified thinking that I must represent all of my colleagues and my country with confidence and pride," she added.

Khobragade was arrested as she dropped her children at school for allegedly underpaying her Indian domestic helper, and for lying on the helper's visa application form.

The arrest touches a number of hot buttons in India, where fear of public humiliation, particularly among the middle and upper classes, resonates deeply, and pay and conditions for servants is kept mostly private.

In New York in 2011, an Indian diplomat was accused of treating his domestic helper as a "slave" by forcing her to work long hours for $300 a month, confiscating her passport and making her sleep in a closet. India backed the diplomat and expressed disappointment over his treatment.

Protesters from the hardline nationalist outfit the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) have organised a rally outside the embassy later Wednesday.

State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf admitted it was a "sensitive issue" but insisted it was a "separate and isolated incident" which should not "be tied together" and allowed to affect broader US-Indian ties.

Harf added that as a consular official, Khobragade does not have full diplomatic immunity, but has consular immunity applicable only to her professional duties.

The diplomat's treatment has been widely condemned by the Indian media, with front-page headlines reflecting the sense of outrage.

As well as removing the barricades around the embassy, authorities in Delhi have also demanded that US consular officials return identity cards that speed up travel into and through India and halted import clearances for the embassy, including for alcohol.

With the elections just months away in India, both the ruling Congress party and the main opposition are keen to be seen as standing up to the United States over the issue.

"India takes on Uncle Sam," read the front-page headline of The Hindustan Times, while the Mail Today splashed with "Bulldozer Diplomacy" on top of a picture of a digger outside the US embassy.

The Times of India said that Khobragade's arrest had been "downright humiliating" and said the United States was guilty of hypocrisy.

"There are double standards at play here, as US authorities would not have flouted protocol similarly if the accused had been Chinese or British," it said in an editorial.

"For that matter, what would US reaction have been if their diplomats had been subjected to similar treatment abroad for alleged minor transgressions of local legislation?"

tha-co/jit

This thing is really strange. I mean, there have been many many cases of forced labour in US. Previous year, CJ's seafood (or some company like that) was caught exploiting foreign workers. I remember one another food canning company exploiting mentally ill for 15 years. What I don't remember is anybody getting arrested. It resulted in civil charges, sure. So, why did Preet become suddenly overjealous?
All in all, it seems that US habit is to suck it's enemies and offend it's friends. These people want to deport (or stop) engineers and doctors but too happy to import nanny and her family? Daal me kuch kaala hai...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom