What's new

Indian defence minister

how do you rate A.K Antony as a defence minister?

• Total voters
all considered he is definitely the best we had till date . one just has to look at the record . we have made more acquisition's in his tenure than any other defense ministers one.
also its estimated that 70% of the capital outlay of the defense budget has been utilized every year , a huge increase from his predecessors.

Yeah i must say he is honest but most importantly he is the only minister who is worried about his image every second of the day. I mean UPA has brought bad name to even MMS. The only problem is it has effected the decision making process. We can't compare the ministry to what was it a decade ago but still a lot of work is needed.

Antony has a very clean image and will surely will want to remain so.

I doubt you can answer it because you don't even know who will win. But according to me the ideal candidate will be someone who has worked in the armed forces for considerable amount of time and have at-least fought a war. Every where in the world, only the person who has served in the armed forces is given the job of defence minister not a lawyer who has no knowledge about what is happening on the front.

This is the exact same argument that our neighbour's Army to the west use to explain their firm grip on all matters pertaining to defense and see what they have brought upon the nation. I think its Winston Churchill who once said that "War is too serious a business to left to Generals".

Future ????/ If you want to compare with previous ones then he is one of the best .

He not yet passed the trial by fire.. MoD during wartime.

A K Antony is a Honest, simple minded, genuine guy.... The poorest Politician in India..Interms of Bank balance..:woot:..WTF...
Too good to be a politician in the first place...
But i would suggest someone else if the country is facing war like scenarios....
No offense to Antony....just my thoughts.....

For the flaws in that suggestion, look to our immediate western neighbour.

i am not saying former army general shoul be pm but saying nobody knows needs of army more than former army general. Many former army generals are governors in my states.

I can agree to that. Just bcs one isn't a soldier doesn't mean that he has no idea of how defense of a country works. Also if one is arguing that an ex soldier should lead MoD, one can also argue that an ex policeman should lead MoH, an expilot should lead MoAviation, an ex farmer should lead MoAgriculture, an ex accountant should lead Mo Finance etc .

So do u mean that he knows everything and his knowledge is comparable to Army generals is it? during the war scenario wat kind of inputs(technical) he able can give?? he knw the war tactics?? at least he knw hw to read the military map??.

So do u mean that he knows everything and his knowledge is comparable to Army generals is it? during the war scenario wat kind of inputs(technical) he able can give?? he knw the war tactics?? at least he knw hw to read the military map??.

Why the hell do we appoint generals then ? Our government maintains an army and appoints generals for exactly that. However, the ultimate control over the defense ministry must be in civilian hands.

Did George Fernandez & Jagjivan Ram knew how to read maps when they were MoD during 1999 Kargil and 1971 war.

By that logic does Kapil Sibal a lawyer know about how telecommunication work.

Why the hell do we appoint generals then ? Our government maintains an army and appoints generals for exactly that. However, the ultimate control over the defense ministry must be in civilian hands.

Wat I am trying to say if v appoint army people as defense minister it will strengthen our defense forces and he knw abt their dept obstacles, needs very well than the civilian.

Did George Fernandez & Jagjivan Ram knew how to read maps when they were MoD during 1999 Kargil and 1971 war.

Hareh man I am talking abt the future ,in 1960's who passed elementary or illiterate become education minister ,whether that is possible now?? . My query is y v hav to stick in old policies??.

Wat I am trying to say if v appoint army people as defense minister it will strengthen our defense forces and he knw abt their dept obstacles, needs very well than the civilian.

The Govt should army people as MoD, if they are elected to parliament that is.

Hareh man I am talking abt the future ,in 1960's who passed elementary or illiterate become education minister ,whether that is possible now?? . My query is y v hav to stick in old policies??.

I for one don't consider lack of education as a barrier to performance..if thats the case why we have so much corrupt IAS, IPS officers (the cream of the Indian society)..what needs is an ability to learn and adapt.

He's is one of the most honest Defence Ministers we've ever had.

People often blame him for the slow speed of the arms purchases but what they forget is that honesty has a cost which is paid in the currency of time.
Well, it's not just honesty that counts. There are a lot of other things that the defence minister ought to be doing. For eg., let's take One rank, One pension that the veterans have been fighting for, for the past two decades. What has he done? Squat! Instead, the MoD has filed a counter in the Supreme Court questioning the basis of OROP and why the veterans should not be given this!!!! WTF?

Most Jawans retire at age 35. Politicians like him never retire and continue drawing salary till they kick the bucket! What has he done for rehabilitating the thousands who retire at that young age? Whatever happened to lateral absorption into the other para military forces? And what about rehabilitation of officers most of whom retire by age 54? They are left to fend for themselves running around looking for jobs in the corporate world! Some get lucky some don't.

This just shows that he cares a damn for justice and welfare of these veterans many of whom are war wounded who are left to fend for themselves.

Thus, it's not just honesty that counts. There's a lot a defence minister needs to do. But Anthony has instead gone to the Supreme Court to prevent the veterans getting their legitimate dues!! Doesn't that SUCK? So is he to be counted as a good defence minister? Simple answer: NO!

Honesty and Efficiency are not the same people....... Why are u confusing with that. Antony is role model CM but is he the Efficient MOD? Think?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom