What's new

Indian Defence Budget for 2012-13 hiked to 1.95 lakh crore ($39 billion)

sooo a poor country like india will use more than 17% of her resources to support the weopon industry of Russia & Israel...

not good move

BTW provided current indian trend half of this money will definetely goo army & govt pockets....

cz with tht huge buget why still indian army is short of weopons as their army cheif said...
see who is talking..we r poor but at least we dont beg like ur country...& how can u call us poor when our defence budget is more than ur annual budget???

I just compiled some data from http://indiabudget.nic.in/ub2012-13/bag/bag1.pdf

It gives the complete picture on nominal GDP growth rates:

GDP (Financial Year 2010-11): ₹ 76 lakh crore
GDP (Financial Year 2011-12): ₹ 88 lakh crore

GDP growth rate (nominal): 16.03%

GDP (Financial Year 2012-13: ₹ 100 lakh crore (budget estimates)
GDP growth rate (nominal): 13.82% (budget estimates)

The 17% rise in defence budget should compared to 16.03% GDP growth rate last year and 13.82% growth estimated next year.

Also, since some of the money is usually unspent, so actually spent money on defence could be equal to or less than 13.82% GDP growth rate.

Hence, the increase in defence budget is prudent. The % of defence budget is likely to remain constant.

Further, Indian rupees spent in India buy more than what the official exchange rate suggests (PPP factor). Bulk of the budget will get spent in India: all the regular part (which goes to salaries, payments to ordnance factories, DRDO).

Defence imports are between 10% to 20% of the total budget only (between $4 billion to $8 billion). Only these are comparable to the defence budgets of other countries.

It is a decent budget, and economy is well on the growth track.

Only think I didn't like was delay in GST... which would boost efficiencies massively.

i dont mind india tax ing me more..

But it should be spent wisely and qualitatively..

inflation will go up again..

eating in hotels going to be a luxury hereafter. i ll better buy tiffin box now :cry:

now wages has to be increased too..:blink:

India's GDP growth is currently at 6.1%.

And they are increasing their defence spending by 17%.

It looks like a very good decision. :D

for 2011-2012 gdp growth will be anywhere btw 7.1-7.3. dw not much lower than chinas

:woot:Whatttttt? Pakistan's current Defense budget is about 5-6 billion dolloars.....
No way they r gonna increase it to 25-30Billion.....
With the current budget they cannot afford nuclear submarine forget Aircraft carriers....

time to go north korea way

I think we should stop making comparisons with what happens in China and Pakistan and look at things from the perspective of whether it is good for us.
Anyways this increase may not count as a increase, if we consider some of the money already returned back by the armed forces.

i dont mind india tax ing me more..

But it should be spent wisely and qualitatively..

inflation will go up again..

eating in hotels going to be a luxury hereafter. i ll better buy tiffin box now :cry:

now wages has to be increased too..:blink:

If you salary increased by 16.82% in 2011-12 compared to last year .... you covered inflation and grew as much as rest of India did.

If it was less than 16.82%, other Indians on an average did better than you ... or if your increase was higher than 16.82% you did better than what rest of Indians did on an average.

About 10% was the inflation and 6.9% the real growth.

They are such a bunch of retards. Instead of building submarines and carriers which are not going to be of much use - they should use the money to protect urban areas as if they were city states. The thinking is antiquated.

Those are for long run plans, but one needs to start some time and mostly importantly early, however i"ll agree India needs to invest more in improving capabilities when it comes to low intensity conflicts, such UAVs

If you salary increased by 16.82% in 2011-12 compared to last year .... you covered inflation and grew as much as rest of India did.

If it was less than 16.82%, other Indians on an average did better than you ... or if your increase was higher than 16.82% you did better than what rest of Indians did on an average.

About 10% was the inflation and 6.9% the real growth.

The increase in my salary was 50.00% in 2011-2012 compared to last year..!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
:offtopic: ; but couldn resist sharing it here..!! :cheers:

. good move

it was necessary due to inflation

and weapons prices keep increasing by 15% each year

The increase in my salary was 50.00% in 2011-2012 compared to last year..!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
:offtopic: ; but couldn resist sharing it here..!! :cheers:

mine was 400% ..... but sorry, I brought down the GDP of India, since I became an NRI.

but, I remitted 200% of my old Indian salary back. Govt of India lost the taxes on my old Indian salary... but I did help the foreign exchange reserves .... and supported (and in the process benefited) from low cost shares available in the stock markets :tup:

mine was 400% ..... but sorry, I brought down the GDP of India, since I became an NRI.

but, I remitted 200% of my old Indian salary back. Govt of India lost the taxes on my old Indian salary... but I did help the foreign exchange reserves .... and supported (and in the process benefited) from low cost shares available in the stock markets :tup:

You bloody basket..!! :D

Isn't that much increase a little less given the fact the you moved to the west??

Back
Top Bottom