Indian Atomic Scientist Reports Laptop Theft

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Indian Atomic Scientist Reports Laptop Theft

March 16, 2012

An Indian nuclear researcher raised an alarm when his laptop, reportedly filled with critical data, was pilfered from a passenger rail car, India Blooms News Service reported on Thursday (see GSN, Jan. 13).

The scientist, who is reportedly involved with the Kaiga atomic power plant in Karnataka, demanded that train officials find his laptop and other stolen personal effects that included identifying documents.

The Thiruvananthapuram-bound train was stopped for roughly 10 minutes. Interviews with other passengers did not turn up any clues as to what happened to the stolen laptop.

"The robbery took place somewhere near Vasai road railway station in Mumbai suburban. We have lodged a police complaint," rail authorities said.

Law enforcement officials have opened an investigation into the matter and began detaining potential perpetrators on Wednesday (John Edwards, India Blooms News Service, March 15).

Source:Indian Atomic Scientist Reports Laptop Theft | Global Security Newswire | NTI

Major security risks and concerns about India's nuclear program, kidnapped nuclear scientist and now nuclear information and electronic documents containing "critical data" stolen.

IAEA should investigate the Indian nuclear situation considering this is a concern for the international community.

india_facilities.gif

this actually is a serious matter. if it had info about the nuclear weapon installments then it should ne investigated as soon as possible.

I am sure they are listening to you.. Sure they should investigate everyone traveling on the train to find the where-about of the laptop.. Don't know why they only care about one particular country..

...and what exactly will they investigate, genius?

Weight the security risks, investigate the atomic scientist, investigate the data loss, the entire situation should be investigated considering "critical data" now has been stolen and possibly in rogue possession. This is a risk the International community cannot take.

Weight the security risks, investigate the atomic scientist, investigate the data loss, the entire situation should be investigated considering "critical data" now has been stolen and possibly in rogue possession. This is a risk the International community cannot take.

My dear, IAEA, just FYI, kicks into the picture in cases where there's plausible evidence of a nexus between the atomic program of a nuclear weapons/power state and a rogue state (such as you know who) and where it's evident that there's some co-operation of sorts going on between rogue states (such as you know know).

There's no precedent of IAEA meddling in the affairs of responsible nuclear powers and probing incidents of theft of data.

An IAEA's investigation is called in to probe activities of rogue states (such as you-know-who) and their state/non-state actors (such as you-know-who)

...although I can understand your excitement. :D

My dear, IAEA, just FYI, kicks into the picture in cases where there'splausible evidence of a nexus between the atomic program of a nuclear weapons/power state and a rogue state (such as you know who).

There's no precedent of IAEA meddling in the affairs of responsible nuclear powers and probing incidents of theft of data.

Considering "critical data" has been stolen and one nuclear scientist has been kidnapped and consider much of eastern India is under Maoist influence it is too risky. The information could be sold to rogue elements within India, in a nation with over a hundred insurgencies IAEA should not give benefit of the doubt.

Considering "critical data" has been stolen and one nuclear scientist has been kidnapped and consider much of eastern India is under Maoist influence it is too risky.

...According to you.

...and do I have to explicitly tell you that you're a nobody?

The information could be sold to rogue elements within India, in a nation with over a hundred insurgencies IAEA should not give benefit of the doubt.

Why only inside India? It could be sold to terrorists inside (you-know-where), the same country which has a history of nuclear proliferation.

...so I suggest you to request your govt. to in turn request the IAEA to initiate a probe.

...we'll see what comes of your e-mail to your prez, or whatever it is you call Zardari.

China has $3 trillion foreign exchange reserves. Surely we can spare a little bit of that for whoever gives us this intel data. Assuming, we were not the ones who stole the secrets ourselves!

...According to you.

...and do I have to explicitly tell you that you're a nobody?

Why only inside India? It could be sold to terrorists inside (you-know-where), the same country which has a history of nuclear proliferation.

...so I suggest you to request your govt. to in turn request the IAEA to initiate a probe.

...we'll see what comes of your e-mail to your prez, or whatever it is you call Zardari.

Regional neighbors have a right to be concerned, like Pakistan, China, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and others. One Indian nuclear scientist has already been kidnapped and who knows his fate and what he may have revealed? Now sensitive electronic documents containing "critical data" about nuclear technology have been stolen and possibly being copied and distributed as we speak. They can easily end up in wrong hands. We all know how identity thieves can steal someone's personal info and distribute they can easily do it in this case as well.

It seriously is a matter of concern.

Pakistan should be concerned about indias nuclear weapon security now.

Back
Top Bottom