What's new

Indian Army wants combat flame-throwers

flamethrowers have their uses.
limited in modern war, but still there are niches for them
the PLA uses them to remove killer wasp nests lol

Its more like 1947 tenders getting approved today.
That's exactly what I thought!

But the flamethrower is a potent weapon with great psychological impact upon unprepared soldiers, inflicting a particularly horrific death. This has led to some calls for the weapon to be banned. With a range of between 50-80 m, it is primarily used against battlefield fortifications, bunkers, and other protected emplacements.

My comment was more of a light hearted joke about the more than necessary delays in foreign weapon inductions. About your other thing for it being a fine weapon I will have to whole heartedly disagree. All that ignite on someones back does seem a bit old fashioned. How about we google incendiary rockets or if I remember correctly the M202.

They can be used to fish out terrorists from tunnels. Smoking terrorists out from dug up tunnels will be a brilliant use for this weapon? Also, they can be used to clear out snow quickly. So there is a possibility of tactical use of the weapon. Though, for its efficacy, me not the the right person to comment.

Btw, @sandy_3126 you can buy a flame thrower in the US :P

Indian Army wants combat flame-throwers
By SP's Special Correspondent
Photo Credit: US Army

March 31, 2014: The Indian Army's Directorate of Infantry has announced its intention to procure an unspecified number of combat disposable-type flame-throwers for fighting units deployed in counter-insurgency areas. The Army has revealed the flame throwers will be used during conventional and sub conventional operations against hostile elements as well as for training purposes. The shape and size of the flame thrower should be such that it can comfortably be carried and used by a single soldier. It should be stable for storage for the complete shelf life and should not be prone to accidents while in storage or being transported under operational conditions. The maximum and the minimum range at which Flame Thrower (Disposable) can effectively engage targets will need to be produced as information by interested suppliers. The requirement is a surprising one, given that military flamethrowers aren't much in use anymore. For instance, the US military discontinued the use of flamethrowers for combat operations in 1978, and they do not figure in any current arsenals. Flamethrowers were used in the World Wars and the Vietnam War extensively, but were subsequently found to be ineffective in most operational scenarios, given their close-combat requirement. The Indian Army will be looking to use them against bunkers, fortifications, built-up areas to flush out terrorists etc.

FLAMETHROWER.jpg

Indian Army wants combat flame–throwers - SP's Land Forces

Antim sanskar saath saath hi kar do. Why to waste expensive lands on terrorist pigs graves.

That's exactly what I thought!

But the flamethrower is a potent weapon with great psychological impact upon unprepared soldiers, inflicting a particularly horrific death. This has led to some calls for the weapon to be banned. With a range of between 50-80 m, it is primarily used against battlefield fortifications, bunkers, and other protected emplacements.

We all have seen their use in movies. it was beautiful. In Movies. What we fail to have seen is the waves of infantry that crashed against the fortification before the flamethrower hobbled to the 50m target over a mountain of casualties. Its a beautiful thing for the reasons you mentioned but unfortunately it has no place in squad based combat today.

Actually this thing is perfect in certain situations . It burns away cover,concealment and also kills by burning away oxygen so even bunkers aren't safe. Depending on the weight its an ideal tactical solution.

Back
Top Bottom