What's new

Indian Army News & Discussions

SElf propelled artillery. Of you what to get technical, technically the Bofors FH77 of IA is a SPG. But yes the IA is lacking in this field and steps are being taken to rectify any shortcomings.

SElf propelled artillery. Of you what to get technical, technically the Bofors FH77 of IA is a SPG. But yes the IA is lacking in this field and steps are being taken to rectify any shortcomings.

No its not its towed arty.

What he means is something like Bhim. Which fits Denels T6 turret, wit the Arjun chassis.

bhim.jpg

But it has been delayed because "as Denel has become embroiled in a corruption scandal in India, and hence the Indian Ministry of Defence has suspended the Bhim."

But yes the IA is lacking in this field and steps are being taken to rectify any shortcomings.

If you are talking about the self-propeled artillery, steps are not being taken fast enough.

India's Arjun Mark II to go for second trial

CHENNAI (PTI): The Army will be watching closely as an updated version of its Main Battle Tank Arjun, which has incorporated 59 improvements, goes for a crucial trial in the next three months.

The Mark-II version, being developed at Combat Vehicles Research & Development Establishment (CVRDE), will go for a crucial trial in the next three months, DRDO sources said.

"We have incorporated 56 of the total 89 improvements recommended in Arjun Mark II after the last test in Pokhran in Rajasthan. We are hopeful of the next test which is scheduled in December this year or January next year," they said.

The testing would also include firing of Lahat missile, having a range of six kms.

After clearing the test, Mark II will have to face final integrated testing by Army in June 2012.

Some of the major improvements include changes in the commander's panoramic sight with eye safe LRF, night vision, driver's uncooled thermal image, digital control harness, new final drive for increased weight.

"Once Arjun Mark II comes out successfully through the integrated testing in June next year, the production of the latest version of Arjun tanks will start in Heavy Vehicles Factory," the sources added.

Indian Army has ordered 142 MBT Arjun Mark-II which would be ready for commissioning within

link : India's Arjun Mark II to go for second trial - Brahmand.com

414195622.jpg

Indian Defence Minister stops in Tajikastan en route to Russia to break bread with counterpart :) |

Guys - I just got a call from Defpro UK that an armored vehicle conference is happening in Delhi. Any one else got it or attending?...

^^^
I think you are talking about IQPC one. It will happen in Nov.

Ohh Yes, thats the one......I would have joined if I were in Delhi. I was busy so I asked him to mail te details. Are u going?

Indian Army AK-47 rifles to get holographic sights
Published November 16, 2011
SOURCE: Vijay Mohan/ TRIBUNE INDIA

The Army wants to enhance the “kill probability” of troops engaged in combat operations and in a step towards this direction AK-47 series of assault rifles issued to infantry units deployed in counter-insurgency grid are being equipped with holographic sights to make aiming and shooting quicker and more accurate.

Holographic sight is a battery-operated gadget fixed atop the rifle like a miniature telescope. It has a single lens at the centre of which is a coloured laser-induced microdot that marks the exact point at which the bullet would hit. The Army is initially planning to acquire about 500 such sights.

These sights allow soldiers to shoot quickly with both eyes open, doing away with the need to shut one eye for lining up the fore and rear “iron” sights to take aim. “Consequently, they provide large peripheral vision and desired accuracy even when firing from wide angles and awkward positions,” an officer said. This enables instant target acquisition in and enhances accuracy of fire where effective and judicious use of available ammunition is essential,” he added.

Holographic sights are already in use with Indian Special Forces (SF). These sights are standard equipment on the American Colt-M4A1 and the Israeli Tavor-21 assault rifles that are now extensively used by the Army’s SF battalions.

Holographic sights weight barely 500 grams and run to commercially available batteries. They are also capable of providing limited magnification. More importantly, they do not “illuminate” the target with the red dot like laser designators and pointers, thereby making detection difficult.

Back
Top Bottom