What's new

Indian Army News & Discussions

Is Israeli Spider not doing this job for you already?

I guess India is trying to acquire every potent system out there. :lol:

Seriously India is modernizing to some serious standards. Gearing up to compete with the best in the world.

^^^ we haven't bought SPYDER yet..and anyways its for the air force not the army

Why we need to buy missiles form some one else yaar :angry::angry:

We have our OWN Akash for Short range( Fabulous by the way)

http://www.wikiwak.com/image/Akash+SAM.jpg

and We are also developing Astra missile. we can use it as a SAM also.

http://*****************/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/astra-bvr-s.jpg

other countries are also using their Air to Air missiles as a SAM like

USA with their AAMRAM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/AIM-120_AMRAAM_P6230147.JPG

Israel with their Derby and Python (We alredy have Spyder system then also we are looking for some thing else..:blink:)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/SPYDER.jpg

Are we on some short of shopping list or what??

We are just buying and buying and Buying from OTHERS...

Why don't we give work to our own Engineers and Scientists?

even if his posts are deleted, so many of us have his posts repeated in ours ;)

I think Something goes wrong with India. If We take air defence missile example, We will see that India is ordering various type of missile system from Israel, Russia, USA.. Besides trying to develop something on her own.

If you want to tie all those air defence units to operate by a single software system under the network centric warfare, I think You can not manage this job because Such a different type air defence missile units will bring you increadible headache to operate all those under a network. Maybe, Israel or Russia will not give you permission to chance the software codes of their air defence system to connect your central command-control software. Logistic disadvatages are also another issue to talk about...

This is a good beginning, since many of our air defence is largely based on Anti Aircraft gun guided by radars, we can surely capitalize on all round capability of Quick reaction SAM's. Even anti-aircraft guns are very effective but in order to protect big cities and industrial installation, we need hundreds of them which is not possible given space constraint and logistics as well as manpower issues coupled with servicing of the same. This particuler reason might have prompted Indian army to procure such SAM.

I think Something goes wrong with India. If We take air defence missile example, We will see that India is ordering various type of missile system from Israel, Russia, USA.. Besides trying to develop something on her own.

If you want to tie all those air defence units to operate by a single software system under the network centric warfare, I think You can not manage this job because Such a different type air defence missile units will bring you increadible headache to operate all those under a network. Maybe, Israel or Russia will not give you permission to chance the software codes of their air defence system to connect your central command-control software. Logistic disadvatages are also another issue to talk about...
These SAMs can not be operated using a single software. And we do not need them under the same network either.

All SAMs are networked with their respective radars, using the software provided by the manufacturers. There is no need to inter network them.

Diversifying the arsenal is a good step, since the enemy aircraft might have some some of jamming capabilities with respect to some radar but in case of different radars, it becomes virtually impossible to fool and evade them all.

it can also be to generate redundancy.

in case the enemy learns how to beat one type of weapon, the others are still operational.

it can also be to generate redundancy.

in case the enemy learns how to beat one type of weapon, the others are still operational.

You can not beat an air defence weapons sytems simply. It is about RF or Radar transmitter systems transfering the data's to the missiles to correct its route While approaching the targets. If you manage to cut the data tranmitting and break the cyriptos between the ground station and missile after launched, (or jamming the Fire control radars) The missile launched became just a tin-can on air. Otherwise, It is impossible to defeat a missile system easily so I think It is unnecessary to order different kind of SAM's. They will just bring you big headaches logistically and operationally. If you think to use them as an independant system different than other SAM units, It is Ok but Under the network centric environment, Operating various kind of SAM's are a problem to connect them with eachothers...

Reason for ordering this lot is self-explanatory.

Akash air-defence system is extremely capable enough , but the problem is Akash missile requires continuous guidance and does not give what we call a Fire and Forget capability , simply bcoz DRDO didn't build or thought of building seeker into missile .
I would go by the former assumption .

What this SPYDER QR-SAM brings is the capability of having its own seeker.
And this recent JV btw RAFALE and BEL will be good enough signal for defence expert to pick up and analyze , what's in store for future.

As somebody pointed out of Jamming the Air-Defence network . Its not that easy bcoz the link communications in Today's SAM network have evolved a lot and they are as advanced as JTIDLS /LINK16 of NATO / ,
additionally operating in L-BAND freq .
You need different type of Jammer's to Jam them

can anybody tell me the difference between Akash and this system. ??

Difference wiil be primarily different operational value -

This new missile system is supposed to be QR-SAM and short-ranged , carefully read article and its requirements . Let me quote it

"The Army is looking for a 20-km range missile system with active and passive guidance, with the capacity to engage targets moving upto 500 metres/second, and including hovering targets"

Now first thing- ACTIVE and PASSIVE guidance .
Akash dosen't have a seeker , so requires a full path guidance while SPYDER missile has its own seeker to destroy the target.
Passive guidance - they meant IR receiver and homer , or radar receiver & homing , may be both .

Second thing - Hovering targets
I think Indian army is more inclined at shooting towards cruise missile with hovering capability than Fighter air-crafts at this short range .
How much maneuverability and tight thrust vectoring Akash gives may not suffice IA , so they want more Maneuverable system.

Finally- few hundred meters to 20KM range
So Lets spare Akash for Intermediate tier of Defence.

I think Indian army is more inclined at shooting towards cruise missile with hovering capability than Fighter air-crafts at this short range .

What was that...?

Never heard of a cruise missile that hovers...:hang2:

Cruise missile with some maneuverability are hard to shoot down.
Sub-Sonic missile are better than Super-sonic in this aspect.

Loitering (Kamakazi) missile are also difficult to bring down.

Back
Top Bottom