What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

Massive order for the HTT-40!
First flight was in 2016!
This is a great sign of things to come.
WUfdM1q.jpg

Cockpit
onPHAIA.jpg

It's a really big deal for the IAF to go back to an Indian designed basic trainer, after the PC-7 Mk2. To be fair, the PC-7 Mk2 has been excellent for the IAF, after all the troubles it faced with the HPT-32 Deepak.

here's an old advert for the HT-2 that was posted recently on Twitter. Way back in the 1950s, designed and built by Hindustan Aircraft Private Ltd. That was before it was nationalized and converted into Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.

Ee9UuNHU8AMOYyZ

But an order this large will mean thousands of crores of rupees for HAL's suppliers as well as HAL, which will help keep them going for a long time. This is the kind of thing needed to keep a vibrant aerospace industry supplier base. That was something that almost did not exist before the Tejas program began in the early 1990s.

Last edited:
Not many are aware that HAL proposed a Hindustan Turbo Trainer-35 to the IAF in the late 1980s for entry into service in the 1990s, but the IAF was not interested and the proposal did not go anywhere beyond a static display model, shown below. It was quite contemporary of the basic trainers of that time, with tandem seating.

27654816_1676398145771567_2533579918094817025_n.jpg

It's a really big deal for the IAF to go back to an Indian designed basic trainer, after the PC-7 Mk2. To be fair, the PC-7 Mk2 has been excellent for the IAF, after all the troubles it faced with the HPT-32 Deepak.

here's an old advert for the HT-2 that was posted recently on Twitter. Way back in the 1950s, designed and built by Hindustan Aircraft Private Ltd. That was before it was nationalized and converted into Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.

Ee9UuNHU8AMOYyZ

But an order this large will mean thousands of crores of rupees for HAL's suppliers as well as HAL, which will help keep them going for a long time. This is the kind of thing needed to keep a vibrant aerospace industry supplier base. That was something that almost did not exist before the Tejas program began in the early 1990s.
Completely agreed, Dhruv for the Rotary div and Tejas for Fixed wing are great +ve catalysts for Indian Aerospace industry.
Next we should focus on Saras/Transport aircraft for the An replacement due in the next 15-20 years.

I'm going to repost the video of its spin test. Its something that gets my heart rate going every time I watch it!

IAF ACM RKS Bhadauria flew a Bison on his own at WAC. He had flown the single seater Tejas during the squadron formation ceremony earlier. Not like most other ACMs who sit in the back and let another younger pilot do the flying.

link
The #CAS ACM RKS Bhadauria is on a visit to a frontline air base in Western Air Command (WAC). During the day long visit, the CAS will review operational preparedness of the base and interact with the #airwarriors serving on the frontlines.
#IndianAirForce

EfSMI9EU4AAT80U

EfSMJkfVoAYZ2VL

link
The #CAS will meet with aircrew and combat crew from the Squadrons and units stationed at the base.

Earlier in the day, the CAS flew the Mig-21 Bison with the resident fighter squadron.
#LeadingFromFront
#IndianAirForce
EfSMLq7UYAAAQuF

EfSML1uU4AAQQWD

IAF ACM RKS Bhadauria flew a Bison on his own at WAC. He had flown the single seater Tejas during the squadron formation ceremony earlier. Not like most other ACMs who sit in the back and let another younger pilot do the flying.

link

EfSMI9EU4AAT80U

EfSMJkfVoAYZ2VL

link

EfSMLq7UYAAAQuF

EfSML1uU4AAQQWD

I suspect we may find out how good this guy is, or is not, soon enough. :-)

Biggest news yet!
Su 30MKI test fires the MICA!
Report mentioned the stealth capability, so I think the emphasis was on the MICA IR!
So the Su 30MKI can use all the missiles in the IAF inventory except for the Meteor.
A2A weapons so far:
R-27(Both Radar and IR), R-77, Astra, ASRAAM, R-73 and MICA.
Report here.

Biggest news yet!
Su 30MKI test fires the MICA!
Report mentioned the stealth capability, so I think the emphasis was on the MICA IR!
So the Su 30MKI can use all the missiles in the IAF inventory except for the Meteor.
A2A weapons so far:
R-27(Both Radar and IR), R-77, Astra, ASRAAM, R-73 and MICA.
Report here.

Oh wow..this came out of the blue! the report doesn't mention if it was the MICA-IR or MICA-EM, but MICA-IR is definitely easier to integrate than the MICA-EM which would have required the missile to share information with the Su-30MKI's mission computer.

But if it was the MICA-EM, then MBDA probably has a good reason to allow the MICA-EM to be integrated with the Su-30MKI.

1) possibility of a larger MICA buy given that the Mirage-2000I, Rafale and Su-30MKI fleets will be able to share the MICA-EM or IR
2) builds up the business case for a MICA-NG purchase in a few years' time. The MICA-NG reportedly has 100+ km range with a dual pulse motor and a new seeker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom