What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

This was taken during flight trials in US.

I know, but it shows that the P8 is actually more than a sub hunter, infact it might be even more useful for India, at the land boarders with the right sensor and weapon fit. The P8 AGS would be a great addition to monitor enemy ground forces from long distances, guide the Apache Block 3, or even attack multiple targets on it's own ( at least 36 x SDBs would be possible for strikes up to 100Km, or a number of JSOW / SLAM-ER to even higher distances.
The main advantage of this aircraft is surveilance gathering and monitoring the surface from high altitude, unlike a normal sub hunter.

I know, but it shows that the P8 is actually more than a sub hunter, infact it might be even more useful for India, at the land boarders with the right sensor and weapon fit. The P8 AGS would be a great addition to monitor enemy ground forces from long distances, guide the Apache Block 3, or even attack multiple targets on it's own ( at least 36 x SDBs would be possible for strikes up to 100Km, or a number of JSOW / SLAM-ER to even higher distances.
The main advantage of this aircraft is surveilance gathering and monitoring the surface from high altitude, unlike a normal sub hunter.
Indeed, in fact the USN used their P-3s over land in Afghan extensively.

Indeed, in fact the USN used their P-3s over land in Afghan extensively.

Just like the UK used Sentinels and the French Atlantics in Mali, although the situation is different there from ours, but P8s with long range side SAR radars would be great in addition to our AWACS to keep an eye on 2 of the worlds major ground forces, especially in the north east.

Just like the UK used Sentinels and the French Atlantics in Mali, although the situation is different there from ours, but P8s with long range side SAR radars would be great in addition to our AWACS to keep an eye on 2 of the worlds major ground forces, especially in the north east.
I highly doubt the IN's P8s would be used in this role on a regular basis. To be the IAF's and ARC's future COMJAM/ASTOR will do the job just fine.

Pilatus+PC+7+over+Swiss+Alps+Indian+Air+Force.jpg

A Pair Of Indian Air Force Pilatus Trainers Over The Swiss Alps

I highly doubt the IN's P8s would be used in this role on a regular basis. To be the IAF's and ARC's future COMJAM/ASTOR will do the job just fine.

That's intel collections and a different issue which can be handled by smaller business jets, but the P8 AGS can monitor enemy ground forces at long range, command our own defence to counter the threats, or attack them on it's own with pretty impressive stand off strike capabilities.

Well, why not utilize everything we got, and utilize the platforms in every role they are capable of? The navy will have at least 12 P-8Is, that has been decided. That means that they can dedicate one P-8I to shadow every single pakistani sub and still have a few left to reconnoiter ground build ups.

Pak navy uses its P-3Cs in that role, to scan for talib hideouts to be bombed by fighters. I don't know if our P-8s are outfitted with necessary equipment to do a mini JSTARS type role, but it would be awesome if they are.

Well, why not utilize everything we got, and utilize the platforms in every role they are capable of? The navy will have at least 12 P-8Is, that has been decided. That means that they can dedicate one P-8I to shadow every single pakistani sub and still have a few left to reconnoiter ground build ups.

Pak navy uses its P-3Cs in that role, to scan for talib hideouts to be bombed by fighters. I don't know if our P-8s are outfitted with necessary equipment to do a mini JSTARS type role, but it would be awesome if they are.

The sensor and weapon fit is important. We currently have aimed on ASW and martime attack, while a SAR radar should had been interesting for the martitime patrol role too. For the stand off strike role we currently have no suitable weapons on order, at least from what we have seen in the tests. So it depends on what we can get from the US, or of we can customize with Israel techs and weapons for example.

Because I just can't see the IN, who is far removed from the struggles on the Northern borders, dedicating their own assets for this. Instead the IAF and IA (and RAW/ARC) will take the lead and will utilise or acquire their own assets in in this theatre.

The PN only does so because they have very little by way other options.

The sensor and weapon fit is important. We currently have aimed on ASW and martime attack, while a SAR radar should had been interesting for the martitime patrol role too. For the stand off strike role we currently have no suitable weapons on order, at least from what we have seen in the tests. So it depends on what we can get from the US, or of we can customize with Israel techs and weapons for example.

Weapons for striking land targets would be impossible to come by from the US, or from anywhere else without severely displeasing the US. They were pretty miffed when pakistan modified their harpoons to give them a land attack capability. I'm sure the IN would not use the P-8s for striking anything other than sea vessels. But reconnaisance or target aquisition of ground troops and enemy positions...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom