What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

Whilst the C-130s were bought for a specific role and this aren't part of the mainstream transport fleet but are still present in their inventory and are thus still a burden on training, logistics, MRO etc so you can't immediately discount them just ecause they aren't present in exceedingly high numbers.

They are not a burden, since it was planned to operate them aside of MTA, in the same class, but for a specific reason that the MTA doesn't offer. So you can't count them as part of the actual transport fleet of IAF, especially in these low numbers.

Missed that part, but that exactly why the C295 is such a good option! It is cheap to procure and to operate, but is not a tactical aircraft the the C130, MTA or even the C27J. That's why it will suit perfectly to the basic uttility transport roles of the Avro and the improvements of the new version only benefits our requirements, since more payload can be carried now to high altitude areas.
Not to mention that it remains a good option for IN as well, as a hi lo mix with the P8I, only that you can buy 5 x C295 for the cost of a single P8I.
For some reason, right from the outset I have wanted the C-27J to win but the more I look into it the C-27J is just riddled with issues and is apparently inordinately expensive to maintain. I mean when the US is trying to get rid of theirs citing high maintence costs red flags have got be waving for the IAF.

The only plus wrt C-27J seems to be the commanility with the RR engines in the Super Hercs.

Wrt the IN and their MPA requirements parallel to the P-8Is. We'll just have to wait and see what happens here because there is little transparency on this front and we don't even know the contenders really.

It wouldn't be too bad if the IN went for the Sea Hercs though, right? Seems a pretty decent offer.

And I've heard from some industery guys that if India gets enough Hercs then LM would seriously consider making India an MRO hub for the S.Asian region with TATA fronting the charge. So IN, ICG, BSF and more IAF orders for the Hercs could be VERY good for the Indian aviation industery as a whole (which is what the Avro replacement deal is meant to do anyway!).

They are not a burden, since it was planned to operate them aside of MTA, in the same class, but for a specific reason that the MTA doesn't offer. So you can't count them as part of the actual transport fleet of IAF, especially in these low numbers.

Yes, "burden" was the wrong terminology- what I was trying to say was there mere presence presents a challenge to the IAF to maintain and support them regardless of numbers. Each type has different specifc needs so diversifying the fleet fuehrer may cause more of a headache that it is worth. But I'm no expert, I don't have the figures of life cycle costs and such and the IAF would conduct a CBA beforehand so they'd find the best solution for them.

For some reason, right from the outset I have wanted the C-27J to win but the more I look into it the C-27J is just riddled with issues and is apparently inordinately expensive to maintain. I mean when the US is trying to get rid of theirs citing high maintence costs red flags have got be waving for the IAF.

That's the problem, it was developed with similar roles and capabilities as the C130, which makes it so expensive to operate. We will have the MTAs in these roles, that's why a cheaper option is clearly the better choice.

And I've heard from some industery guys that if India gets enough Hercs then LM would seriously consider making India an MRO hub for the S.Asian region with TATA fronting the charge. So IN, ICG, BSF and more IAF orders for the Hercs could be VERY good for the Indian aviation industery as a whole (which is what the Avro replacement deal is meant to do anyway!).

Not very special, Airbus is offering a production line for the C295 in India, Saab is rumored to transfer the production of Saab 200s to India (which ended in Sweden), Russia offers to be a partner in the IL 112, so they all are offering it, but the costs will be far higher for C130s and unreasonable, when you already have a co-development for the MTA in the same class. So either you go for a smaller more cost-effective aircraft + MTA, or only for MTA as a replacement for Avro, AN32, IL 38s...

should have been posted in the multimedia section mate:)
great add though.

For my tastes I disagree, and found this to be a terrible advert, stilted and cliched. Too much sentiment. Would have preferred more eye candy regarding the beautiful jets the IAF flies, more technology, more of the AWACS etc. Dammit the IAF is such a formidable arm we want to see more of the fight and less of the touching moments - my mother my father etc...

Sorry but that is just me.

For my tastes I disagree, and found this to be a terrible advert, stilted and cliched. Too much sentiment. Would have preferred more eye candy regarding the beautiful jets the IAF flies, more technology, more of the AWACS etc. Dammit the IAF is such a formidable arm we want to see more of the fight and less of the touching moments - my mother my father etc...

Mate the message is "we the air warriors are there for you", it is not about the show of strength but a commitment to defend the Nation and its people. :cheers:

Mate the message is "we the air warriors are there for you", it is not about the show of strength but a commitment to defend the Nation and its people. :cheers:

Sorry mate I disagree having the 4th largest airforce is all about show of force and for my tastes the commitment to defend could have been less puke inducing sentiments and more of what the IAF is about - fury and power, jets and explosions and high tech equipment. But that is my taste, you don't have to agree.

It's a careers advert meant for recruiting - and Indians are sentimental about their families and their motherland.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom