What's new

Indian Air Force has now received all 66 Hawk advanced jet trainers (AJTs)

Ambitious.Asian

Reaction score
hawkl_350_081412090321.jpg

14 August,2012

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has now received all 66 Hawk advanced jet trainers (AJTs) it had ordered from BAE Systems, which was made to pay damages of £6.5 million for supplying defective components that delayed the supply of the aircraft.

The details about the Hawk programme were shared with Parliament by Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju, who said that training of IAF pilots in 2010-11, planned on new advanced trainers, eventually took place in Mig-21 aircraft because of late delivery of aircraft by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), which produced the trainers under licence.

Lack of training aircraft has been one of the major problem areas for IAF planners. All the three phases of training - basic, intermediate and advanced - suffered from absence of adequate number of modern aircraft.

The IAF eventually would have more than 140 advanced jet trainers after the additional 66 Hawk trainers are being made available. With new deals lined up, the IAF would look to revive its Surya Kiran aerobatic team with Hawk AJTs. The Surya Kiran team, flying Kiran intermediate jet trainers, had stopped flying because of shortage of aircraft.

While the advanced training requirements are being met, the IAF hopes that its basic stage programme would start getting back on track by 2013 when the first batch of Pilatus PC 7 aircraft, ordered recently from the Swiss company, would be delivered.

But the IAF will continue to have problems with the intermediate stage. An intermediate trainer is being developed by HAL but it is facing design problems.

Indian Air Force's full fleet of Hawk trainers adds muscle to flying training : North, News - India Today

Cool!!

With 140 operated by India (IAF and IN combined) this would make India easily the largest Hawk operator on the planet- when India buys it buys BIG!!

US Navy is the largest operator.

800px-T-45A_Goshawk_04.jpg

US Navy is the largest operator.

800px-T-45A_Goshawk_04.jpg

Well technically the USN operates the McDonnell Douglas T-45 Goshawk which is a highly modified version of the BAE Hawk land-based training jet aircraft.

How many does US operate ?

IIRC it is around 180 as many have been retired and the USN is looking to for replacements as they been in service for almost 23 years now with USN.

USN operates T-45 Goshawk which a modified version of BAE Hawk Ajt basically a carrier based version...

I don't knw the exact no bt i think its over 200 :woot:

I wish IN also go for Goshawks like the USN...:cheers:

hey if i m not wrong, they can be used in wars also, right?

how lethal they are in war, can they be compared to any fighter jets currently possessed by IAF??

USN operates T-45 Goshawk which a modified version of BAE Hawk Ajt basically a carrier based version...

I don't knw the exact no bt i think its over 200 :woot:

I wish IN also go for Goshawks like the USN...:cheers:

Nah, IMHO the trainer varient of the N-LCA is the best option for LIFT (which is what USN use T-45s for). But if/when IN goes for CATOBAR configured ACC the IN will need to go for the T-45 and with Hawk 132s in IN service there will be commanilty for IN.

how lethal they are in war, can they be compared to any fighter jets currently possessed by IAF??

Limited utility in war- no radar, no BVR, no counter-measures etc the IAF wanted them purely as trainers so their war-fighting capabilty is limited at best. Maybe in "clean up" scernios or CI ops (even though IAF would never be used in internal confilicts).

Yes we can use it as light attack plane . It has 5 hard points and 30mm canon .

thats a good news.....the trainer jets have been a big problem recently.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom