What's new

Indian Air Base at Pathankot under attack by gunmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
India really needs to recheck its forces two days and you have failed to clear your one of the most crucial Air Bases. Air Base which is equipped with expensive Fighter Jets. Pakistani Media is now quoting Indian media and saying death toll is now 11
Total tally is 12 including terrorists. Government and military has said categorically that they are ready to take hits if it means and bring long term peace.

Bhai Zakir, what are you trying to prove by posting these tweets?

He won't find any.

ANI ‏@ANI_news 2h
Shop owner Prashant hit by bullet yesterday in Pathankot.

CXyC6cwUkAIHYN7.png

12:26 AM - 3 Jan 2016 · Details

THank god , no civilian causalities.. collateral damage could be far more damaging

@Zarvan Any update on the paper of injured you posted...

Still awaiting an exact timeline of events but from what once can understand right now:

-5 terrorists involved
-They came with the intention of destroying IAF aircraft (massive amounts of explosives found with them)
-3 Indian Security Forces killed-2 DSC and 1 Garud Commando of the IAF
- The Security establishment was aware an attack was coming to this base based on intercepts by Indian intel agences
-As a result NSG, PARA (SF) and 2-4 columns of infantry were brought in
-Shops asked to close in the area
- Families told to remain inside
-Perimiter/exlcusion zone around the base was extended
- Terrorists were detected the moment they tried to gain acsess to the base(apparently though a drain) by airborne assets of the IAF.
- No damage to any strategic assets nor loss of civlian life

The loss of the three security forces is terribly but this was a massively succesful operation on all levels- from the intel agencies to the guys on the ground they performed exceptionally, especially considering there was only about 24-36 hours of warning. This was not another case of India being caught napping (actually another example of the fact it has woken up in the past few years).

Something worth mentioning is that it is very interesting to see that the GoI deployed the NSG. Usually in incidents like this (in the "frontier areas") the Army would take the lead and hence deploy their assets (SF if need be) or we could expect inter-service rivary to play its part and the IAF insiting they be left alone and only ramping up the deployment of Garuds. But in this instance, everyone worked together, the resources were optimally used and there was great success. It shows the potential of the Indian forces if they are utilised properly (from a command level) with expediency. It also highlights the need for the SOCOM, NOW! I couldn't think of a more fitting example to demonstrate the benefits of such an organisation. There needs to be a more institutionalised response going foreward.

I am glad the NSG is being properly utilised as India's go-to internal security crisis unit and I do think this is something that has been further strengthened under this GoI. In 2014 the MHA is said to have MASSIVELY increased the budget of the NSG (some peolpe say quadrupuled but I can't believe it) and in the past 18 months I know for a fact they have been more active then ever before in terms of live drills on exsisting infrastructure, increased cross training with state/local emergency response units, more active threat analysis, more proactive foreward deployments etc etc. I think this GoI has given the NSG a longer leash and hence more autonomy. This is what the NSG was born to do and thankfully they are actually having their potential tapped instead of wasting in Manesar year after year as had happened in the past.

Lastly, the Punjab stretch of the IB needs to face enourmous scrutiny by the security establishment now, this is the second time in a year this stretch has been used to infilitrate into India for an attack in Punjab. The LoC is all but impenetrable these days so naturally the attention will turn to weaker spots and hopfully a holistic approach is taken to secure all of India's land borders now not just the IB. The LoC's example is clear- yes it is highly expensive but it is proven to work.

+
Any news on the Garud commando that was killed? The names (and pics) of the DSC guys have been released but not his.

RIP all warriors.

@PARIKRAMA @Hindustani78 @Vauban @Levina @Parul @Joe Shearer @Unknowncommando @Hulk @danish_vij @K M Cariappa @IndoUS @Koovie @Echo_419 @Force Awakens @ayesha.a @MilSpec @nair @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ
The issue with Punjab border is that out of the 553km long border only 461km is fenced. Add to it the fact that BoPs are just 178 in number and some stretches running through riverine areas along the banks of the Sutlej and Ravi cannot be fenced and, ergo this part remains susceptible to infiltration.
But Gurdaspur and Pathankot attacks reinforce one thing for sure that Punjab is now being pushed back into militancy.

More firings and more deaths.
RIP brave soldiers!!!
I heard that a commando battalion will now be established in Pathankot.
Pathankot used to be a sleepy town when I lived there.

Kashmiri FFs claim this was retribution for the controversial hanging of Afzal Guru. Btw, one of the Indians killed was a high profile gold medellist Subedar.

Official response from Punjab State government

ANI ‏@ANI_news 9m9 minutes ago
We are writing to GoI. There is not as much BSF deployment on the Punjab border as compared to J&K border- Punjab Dy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal

We are writing to GoI. There is not as much BSF deployment on the Punjab border as compared to J&K border- Punjab Dy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal

They should increase deployment in this fencing area, for this is the second/third time such incident has happened in Punjab-Dy CM Punjab

ANI ‏@ANI_news 8m8 minutes ago
Punjab Police will act as the second line of defence whereas BSF will be first line of defence: Sukhbir Singh Badal, Dy CM Punjab

ANI ‏@ANI_news 2m
At the moment our understanding is four terrorists have been killed & two are being engaged now: Sukhbir Singh Badal,Dy CM Punjab #Pathankot

ANI ‏@ANI_news 3m3 minutes ago
We are conducting security checks everywhere, we have taken anti terrorist action to combat any kind of terror activity:Jt CP (NDR) MK Meena

Please correct your facts for covering 75 acres only you need 30000 plus soldiers....
Buddy you are considering only airbase whil I am considering full Garrison. Pathankot military is a big area with defence area devided in services. And 30k is too high. I said it as a example. Further number of third group is stated to be upward of 2.

Why the hell is so much confusion created by the media they said 5 Terrorist killed yesterday and now they are saying 2 more Terrorist killed so now the total has become 5 again instead of 6 . And then they are reporting firing is going on and 2 terrorist holed up looks like no one is going to believe what the indian chuthiya media is going to say now

Kashmiri FFs claim this was retribution for the controversial hanging of Afzal Guru. Btw, one of the Indians killed was a high profile gold medellist Subedar.
Yeah.
The kidnapped driver heard terrorists say that.
But I do not believe it.

Btw it was Capt. Fateh Singh(a commonwealth gold medal winner) and not a subedar (not that the rank matters!!).
RIP brave soldier.
The sharp shooter continues to inspire us....

image.jpeg

Why the hell is so much confusion created by the media they said 5 Terrorist killed yesterday and now they are saying 2 more Terrorist killed so now the total has become 5 again instead of 6 . And then they are reporting firing is going on and 2 terrorist holed up looks like no one is going to believe what the indian chuthiya media is going to say now
wait till the news conference at 5pm.

ANI ‏@ANI_news 2h
Shop owner Prashant hit by bullet yesterday in Pathankot.

CXyC6cwUkAIHYN7.png

12:26 AM - 3 Jan 2016 · Details

THank god , no civilian causalities.. collateral damage could be far more damaging

@Zarvan Any update on the paper of injured you posted...

That is a very heavy caliber bullet. its not from terrorist but from security forces

So the airbase is not clear yet?

Its a 14KM long base you have to do combing operation in such a vast area along with clearing IED's and engaging a unknown number of terrorist so obviously it takes time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom