What's new

Indian AEW&C at Baharin International Airshow

LOL. I was not aware they are mutually exclusive :cheesy:

When that aircraft is going for an PR trip to Bahrain for DRDO, how can it protect India and Indian airspace? Does DRDO have an alternative for IAF in the meantime? Did they even have finished the development?
=> So who is benefitting here, DRDO or Indian security?

When that aircraft is going for an PR trip to Bahrain for DRDO, how can it protect India and Indian airspace? Does DRDO have an alternative for IAF in the meantime? Did they even have finished the development?
=> So who is benefitting here, DRDO or Indian security?

These AC had not even been cleared by CEMILAC. It is still under qualification so a little PR does help.

When the time comes for an untested and unproven and unqualified system to defend India and Indian airspace I am sure they can fly down from Bahrain in 2 hrs. :angel:

As to the benefit, people who actually build such stuff have better know how of what needs to be done than self styled armchair experts. These people walk the talk.....so people who just 'talk' should just restrict themselves to clapping at the sidelines and providing moral support. (or you can stand in the sideline and bitch about them)

These AC had not even been cleared by CEMILAC. It is still under qualification so a little PR does help.

Whom? DRDO, but we didn't paid 100s of millions for this aircraft for DRDOs PR, but for Indian security!

mate ,i really wouldn't mind that, as long as they can deliver on time.Also what is the status of the project doen anyone know?

That's the point! They haven't delivered anything yet, the whole project is delayed and only because of the hope of them delivering anything soon, IAF kept delaying additional procurement of A50 Phalcons, which resulted in IAF having less AWACS coverage than PAF!!!
So let DRDO deliver "something" first, before they start PR for their own benefits and definitely, don't give them critical defence material that costs 100s of millions for PR, why not models, or mock ups of the radar? More than enough!

Last edited:
Well said, whatever DRDO does is under scrutiny. Sometime it is lack of publicity and marketing.
It is like saying Lets wait for Tejas to become fully operation then Air Force will induct versus second analogy

Suma Varughese AWACS Project Director CABS on EMB 145 AWACS, Aero India 2013.

True that,like I said earlier timely delivery of this project is very crucial.They've risked but tech delayed is tech denied in our country's case

Delivery of any AWACS system is crucial and the rapid production of further AWACS too, I bet even the additional order of EMB 145 is delayed because of DRDO and their dreams about AWACS India (the name itself shows their need of PR). They are putting them higher than Indias defence needs and that can't be accepted!

@sancho sir, the CABS AWACS on the EMB-145 isn't operational yet so they can take it wherever they like and this won't be leaving a gap in Indian national security as it's not the IAF who are currently using the a/c.

To be fair to DRDO, they need to get their name out there and to project themselves as an emerging player. PR has always been lacking so if they are now trying to correct this they should be applauded. Many other nations have sent experimental/under-test a/c to such airshows during their development stage- see F-22/35, F-16, P-8 etc. This is just how these things go.

Talking brass tacks, this PR opportunity will,at most, setback the development process by no more than 10-14 days.

Why DRDO couldn't send the ALH or even a LCA as well, is beyond me.

Are bhai pehle bana to lo phir PR ki fikar karna.
DRDO = Sheikh Chili
Khayalo mein Khayalo mein
Bawa tum loga to Hum par kyo zulma karte ho

But Anyway it look good

Shows how DRDO works, everything in their interest. What is more important, getting the AWACS ready for operational service and for the defence of the country, or showing off in foreign countries? :hitwall:

err, do you think the entire DRDO team to do with this project is there? what makes you think they have a " gone out for fishing" sign hung in the department that is working on this project.

It is very important to get to these shows... simply from an export perspective it is vital.

err, do you think the entire DRDO team to do with this project is there? what makes you think they have a " gone out for fishing" sign hung in the department that is working on this project.

It is very important to get to these shows... simply from an export perspective it is vital.
Exactly, exposure of this kind is invaluable. Work will still be going on albeit the test-bed has flown to Baharin for a few days. One could even say the flight to Baharin could be a pretty decent oppurtunity to test certtain parameters on a relatively long flight abroad.

@sancho sir, the CABS AWACS on the EMB-145 isn't operational yet so they can take it wherever they like and this won't be leaving a gap in Indian national security as it's not the IAF who are currently using the a/c.

To be fair to DRDO, they need to get their name out there and to project themselves as an emerging player. PR has always been lacking so if they are now trying to correct this they should be applauded. Many other nations have sent experimental/under-test a/c to such airshows during their development stage- see F-22/35, F-16, P-8 etc. This is just how these things go.

Talking brass tacks, this PR opportunity will,at most, setback the development process by no more than 10-14 days.

Why DRDO couldn't send the ALH or even a LCA as well, is beyond me.

No they can't mate, it's an aircraft procured by Mod for the air force and Indias defence needs, not for CABS as a tech demo or PR platform. So CABS can't do what they want with it and the fact that it's not operational yet is my problem! They should focus on that and keep testing the systems, instead of sending it abroad to PR shows with not a single bit of benefit for India as a country.
And the best PR for DRDO is still getting SOMETHING done, not only claiming big and failing even bigger! This AWACS is only one example, LCA MMR, Kaveri engine, UAVs..., let them get at least one of these things done and then we can apploud. We don't even know how capable the DRDO radar system is yet and if it works according to IAFs requirements, so still more than enough to do and by far not much to show off.

As I said if they want to do PR, then display a model of the aircraft or a mock up of the antenna they developed, why on earth must Indian taxpayer pay for the deployment of the aircraft for DRDOs PR?

One could even say the flight to Baharin could be a pretty decent oppurtunity to test certtain parameters on a relatively long flight abroad.

Wait fying alongside our borders is not long enough and what is more important, to test the platform and the system at high altitude areas in diverse climate regions in INDIA, or to fly over the Arabian Sea and tracking some trawlers if possible?

Who cares if the team is there or not, but without having the platform in India, we can't go on with the integration and testing of systems! And no, it is not important to have this aircraft at shows, since it was not procured for PR reasons nor will anyone buy a system that is not developed yet.

Last edited:
No they can't mate, it's an aircraft procured by Mod for the air force and Indias defence needs, not for CABS as a tech demo or PR platform. So CABS can't do what they want with it and the fact that it's not operational yet is my problem! They should focus on that and keep testing the systems, instead of sending it abroad to PR shows with not a single bit of benefit for India as a country.
And the best PR for DRDO is still getting SOMETHING done, not only claiming big and failing even bigger! This AWACS is only one example, LCA MMR, Kaveri engine, UAVs..., let them get at least one of these things done and then we can apploud. We don't even know how capable the DRDO radar system is yet and if it works according to IAFs requirements, so still more than enough to do and by far not much to show off.

As I said if they want to do PR, then display a model of the aircraft or a mock up of the antenna they developed, why on earth must Indian taxpayer pay for the deployment of the aircraft for DRDOs PR?
Fair enough, and yes, I don't know why the decsion was made to send the CABS AWACS over,say, the ALH/ALH WSI or LCH or whatever.

But focusing on the DRDO's failures alone is a bit harsh IMHO and I am one of the biggest critics of DRDO there is but to be fiar to them they have produced some successes and especially lately.

Back
Top Bottom