What's new

Indian actress Nandita Das is the face of the 'Dark is Beautiful Campaign,' which helps spread the

Whats with Indians and color, the color threads had stopped popping up a while ago but I guess they are back....:hitwall:

Its a common feeling throughout the subcontinent. . . . . btw Did you check what OP wrote at the bottom ?

thats was the only purpose of this thread ;)

Ironically, this actress herself is probably lighter skinned than most other people she would walk by on the street.

If they want it to mean something, they should use someone who is darker than average. Otherwise it is simply reinforcing the problem.
nandita_das395.jpg

This complexion is termed dark in India though. And nobody knows the 'average' skin complexion in India. :)

There's nothing with Indians and colour.

But there's something with Sri Lankans/Pakistanis obsession with colour of Indians. We are black and they are white.

I dont condone it man, its nothing personal, I just think that a persons color should not matter to the least in any society, and this problem is not just Indian but its more of a regional problem, I know for a fact that its more prevalent in India....

do you think not having a thread here means problem goes away. :o:
and having multiple threads means there is really a big problem? right?

No, not at all, pdf just gives a perspective to certain issues, particularly about the mindset of ''educated'' people of a country, the number of threads and the material within provide some insight into the issues and are seconded only to first hand experience which may not always be possible.....

No, not at all, pdf just gives a perspective to certain issues, particularly about the mindset of ''educated'' people of a country, the number of threads and the material within provide some insight into the issues and are seconded only to first hand experience which may not always be possible.....
I agree 100 percent, but why are you surprised that a thread is opened on same topic (which is more of cultural in nature) and think that ' hey I thought they stopped doing it last week, they are doing it again??'

AFP
Actress and director Nandita Das is fighting to change the idea that Indian women are only beautiful if they have fair skin.

MUMBAI - Looking to find a husband, make friends, and get ahead at work? Then you need to have lighter skin.

That's the all-pervasive message in India, and it's something that one actress is fighting to overturn.

The new poster girl of the "Dark is Beautiful" campaign, Nandita Das, has called out India's obsession with fair skin -- a prejudice she says has driven some young women to the brink of suicide.

"Magazines, TV, cinema -- everywhere being fair is synonymous with being beautiful," Das told AFP.

Described as having "dusky" skin as opposed to a fair complexion, the 43-year-old is well used to Indian preoccupations with color, and not just in the film industry, where she has refused requests to lighten her skin for roles.

"How can you be so confident despite being so dark?" is a question regularly asked of Das, who has preferred to star in unconventional, issue-based films but says she would struggle to get ahead in mainstream Bollywood movies.

'Beauty beyond color'

In May, Das became the face of the Dark is Beautiful campaign, launched in 2009 by activist group Women of Worth to celebrate "beauty beyond color".

Her backing has helped to generate increasing debate in the media, but the response has underlined just how ingrained the preference is for fairer skin, which has long been associated with higher social classes and castes.

"I started getting tonnes of emails from young women pouring their heart out about how they were discriminated against. Some wanted to commit suicide because they couldn't be fair," she said.

Das found her own photograph had been lightened by a newspaper even for a feature on the campaign. When looking for a nanny, she was told one candidate was "good, but quite dark".

RELATED: SKIN-WHITENING PRODUCTS RECALLED

Amid such pressures to be pale, India's whitening cream market swelled from $397 million in 2008 to $638 million over four years, according to market researchers at Euromonitor International.

Skin-lightening products accounted for 84 percent of the country's facial moisturizer market last year, their report shows.

The bias facing darker-skinned women was raised again in September when an Indian-origin woman, Nina Davuluri, won the "Miss America" contest in the United States.

"Had she been in India, far from entering a beauty contest, it is more likely that Ms. Davuluri would have grown up hearing mostly disparaging remarks about the color of her skin," said an editorial in The Hindu newspaper.

"She would have been -- going by the storyline of most 'fairness' cream advertisements -- a person with low self-esteem and few friends."

Vaginal whitening cream

Last year, a commercial for an "intimate wash" to whiten vaginas emerged, showing a young Indian woman who uses the product to successfully regain her boyfriend's attention.

The advert was widely panned, but a glance through matrimonial websites and newspaper columns suggests that fair skin, at least on a woman's face, remains key to attaining an Indian husband.

Aspiring grooms often state in their adverts their preference for a fair bride, while nearly all women's profiles describe their complexion as fair or so-called "wheatish".

Ekta Ghosh, a fashion designer in Mumbai who specializes in wedding wear, said the message that only fair is beautiful had been passed down to Indian girls for generations.

"Parents, relatives, they all keep saying you should do something to lighten your skin tone," she said.

RELATED: ADS IN SENEGAL: DON'T BLEACH, 'BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL'

India's mass market whitening pioneer was "Fair & Lovely", launched in 1975 by Hindustan Unilever and now selling in a range of other countries where pale skin is desirable, across Africa and the Middle East as well as Asia.

Indian consumer group Emami later came up with "Fair and Teen" for girls and "Fair and Handsome" for men.

Promoted by Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, the latest advert shows him tossing a tube of the cream from the red carpet to a young male fan.

Dark is Beautiful has launched a petition against the "irresponsible" video and its message that "fair skin is a prerequisite for success".

So far more than 15,000 people have signed up in protest, but Khan has not responded.

"You're telling people they're just not good enough," said Das, who describes whitening cream adverts in general as "so regressive and derogatory".

Fairness cream producers suggest they help to boost users' confidence, although both Emami and Hindustan Unilever declined to comment for this article.

Not everyone, however, is convinced such creams are even effective.

Receptionist Prachi Chawan, 28, said she had been using Fair & Lovely products for three years "out of habit", but was yet to see noticeable results.

"There have been no side effects but no change either," she said.

Das believes whitening cream developers did not create Indians' color bias and insecurities, but have "cashed in" on it, creating a "vicious circle".

While men's fairness products are gaining ground, the actress says women and girls still face far more pressure over their skin tone, which she puts down to a general lack of respect and inequality.

"Until we let women have the same space as men and treat them as human beings, all this will carry on."

Read more: 'Dark is Beautiful' movement takes on India's obsession with whiter skin - NY Daily News
'Dark is Beautiful' movement takes on India's obsession with whiter skin - NY Daily News

@Parul please share us your thoughts on this?;)

Abe Ravan ke bhai aaya nahi aur trolling suru ? Baas kar bhai life mea koi kaam na ho tho NAREGA kyu nahi try karte . :hitwall::hitwall:

here I have to agree with rupa ganguli , & the guy in the bed
for example even though i tend to agree with rupa ganguli but i find nandita das more beautiful & it has more to do with the face then the complexion
think about it, having preference's for a certain type of looks, complexion does not make's a person racist , but shoving down ones own preference in the throat of others is clearly an fascist approach

plus complexion has to have a certain compatibility with looks ,for example not all dark people are ugly but nonetheless there are many who are ugly, similarly not all fair skin people are good looking & there is many who are ugly

for example no 1 : i don't like (a) sanaya irani , even though she (a) is very fair
while i find (b) vidya balan very beautiful, even though she (b) is dark

example no 2 : now on the other hand, i find (a) karisma kapoor extremely beautiful, & she is fair
however, i don't like (b) aishwaria rai ,& she is dark

now here lies the twist, with my 1st preference people will usually say
"well he doesn't like (a) because he like's (b)"
but in the case of the second preference's people usually tend to say
look he likes (a) over (b) because (a) is fair while (b) is dark !
& here lies the dilemma , rather then being objective, people often tend to look @ a subject, from the lenses of their own complexities
subjective rather then objective

Last edited:
here I have to agree with rupa ganguli , & the guy in the bed
think about it, having preference's for a certain type of looks, complexion does not make's a person racist , but shoving down ones preference in the throat of others is clearly a fascist approach

plus complexion has to have a certain compatibility with looks ,for example not all dark people are ugly but nonetheless there are many who are ugly, similarly not all fair skin people are good looking & there many who are ugly

for example no 1 : i don't like (a) sanaya irani , even though she (a) is very fair
while i find (b) vidya balan very beautiful, even though she (b) is dark

example no 2 : now on the other hand, i find (a) karisma kapoor extremely beautiful, & she is fair
however, i don't like (b) aishwaria rai ,& she is dark

now here lies the twist, with my 1st preference people will usually say
"well he doesn't like (a) because he like's (b)"
but in the case of the second preference's people usually tend say
look he likes (a) over (b) because (a) is fair while (b) is dark !
& here lies the dilemma , rather then being objective, people often tend to look @ a subject, from the lenses of their own complexities
subjective rather then objective

I feel the IQ of PDF just increased.

Features on a face are way more important to me than skin complexion, although I do have a preferred skin tone and that is Brown/Olive skin tone. People are too obsessed with this wheat-ish complexion and what she said is true, she has no chance in Bollywood because all they want is light skinned men with tapered jawlines and 5 o clock stubble and the women to be freakishly skinny and light as the eye could handle lol.

nandita_das395.jpg

This complexion is termed dark in India though. And nobody knows the 'average' skin complexion in India. :)

Oh I see, I was going by her pictures in this thread which looked different to that.

My mistake then.

Look at her picture. She would be light in South India, and even in North Indian provinces like Bihar.

If they want to put across "dark is beautiful", why not use someone who is actually really dark? Wouldn't that make more sense?

And the fact that she is a successful actress and director doesn't help the argument either.

It's about average in South India.

afp-nandita-das.jpg

AFP
Actress and director Nandita Das is fighting to change the idea that Indian women are only beautiful if they have fair skin.

MUMBAI - Looking to find a husband, make friends, and get ahead at work? Then you need to have lighter skin.

That's the all-pervasive message in India, and it's something that one actress is fighting to overturn.

The new poster girl of the "Dark is Beautiful" campaign, Nandita Das, has called out India's obsession with fair skin -- a prejudice she says has driven some young women to the brink of suicide.

"Magazines, TV, cinema -- everywhere being fair is synonymous with being beautiful," Das told AFP.

Described as having "dusky" skin as opposed to a fair complexion, the 43-year-old is well used to Indian preoccupations with color, and not just in the film industry, where she has refused requests to lighten her skin for roles.

"How can you be so confident despite being so dark?" is a question regularly asked of Das, who has preferred to star in unconventional, issue-based films but says she would struggle to get ahead in mainstream Bollywood movies.

'Beauty beyond color'

In May, Das became the face of the Dark is Beautiful campaign, launched in 2009 by activist group Women of Worth to celebrate "beauty beyond color".

Her backing has helped to generate increasing debate in the media, but the response has underlined just how ingrained the preference is for fairer skin, which has long been associated with higher social classes and castes.

"I started getting tonnes of emails from young women pouring their heart out about how they were discriminated against. Some wanted to commit suicide because they couldn't be fair," she said.

Das found her own photograph had been lightened by a newspaper even for a feature on the campaign. When looking for a nanny, she was told one candidate was "good, but quite dark".

RELATED: SKIN-WHITENING PRODUCTS RECALLED

Amid such pressures to be pale, India's whitening cream market swelled from $397 million in 2008 to $638 million over four years, according to market researchers at Euromonitor International.

Skin-lightening products accounted for 84 percent of the country's facial moisturizer market last year, their report shows.

The bias facing darker-skinned women was raised again in September when an Indian-origin woman, Nina Davuluri, won the "Miss America" contest in the United States.

"Had she been in India, far from entering a beauty contest, it is more likely that Ms. Davuluri would have grown up hearing mostly disparaging remarks about the color of her skin," said an editorial in The Hindu newspaper.

"She would have been -- going by the storyline of most 'fairness' cream advertisements -- a person with low self-esteem and few friends."

Vaginal whitening cream

Last year, a commercial for an "intimate wash" to whiten vaginas emerged, showing a young Indian woman who uses the product to successfully regain her boyfriend's attention.

The advert was widely panned, but a glance through matrimonial websites and newspaper columns suggests that fair skin, at least on a woman's face, remains key to attaining an Indian husband.

Aspiring grooms often state in their adverts their preference for a fair bride, while nearly all women's profiles describe their complexion as fair or so-called "wheatish".

Ekta Ghosh, a fashion designer in Mumbai who specializes in wedding wear, said the message that only fair is beautiful had been passed down to Indian girls for generations.

"Parents, relatives, they all keep saying you should do something to lighten your skin tone," she said.

RELATED: ADS IN SENEGAL: DON'T BLEACH, 'BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL'

India's mass market whitening pioneer was "Fair & Lovely", launched in 1975 by Hindustan Unilever and now selling in a range of other countries where pale skin is desirable, across Africa and the Middle East as well as Asia.

Indian consumer group Emami later came up with "Fair and Teen" for girls and "Fair and Handsome" for men.

Promoted by Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, the latest advert shows him tossing a tube of the cream from the red carpet to a young male fan.

Dark is Beautiful has launched a petition against the "irresponsible" video and its message that "fair skin is a prerequisite for success".

So far more than 15,000 people have signed up in protest, but Khan has not responded.

"You're telling people they're just not good enough," said Das, who describes whitening cream adverts in general as "so regressive and derogatory".

Fairness cream producers suggest they help to boost users' confidence, although both Emami and Hindustan Unilever declined to comment for this article.

Not everyone, however, is convinced such creams are even effective.

Receptionist Prachi Chawan, 28, said she had been using Fair & Lovely products for three years "out of habit", but was yet to see noticeable results.

"There have been no side effects but no change either," she said.

Das believes whitening cream developers did not create Indians' color bias and insecurities, but have "cashed in" on it, creating a "vicious circle".

While men's fairness products are gaining ground, the actress says women and girls still face far more pressure over their skin tone, which she puts down to a general lack of respect and inequality.

"Until we let women have the same space as men and treat them as human beings, all this will carry on."

Read more: 'Dark is Beautiful' movement takes on India's obsession with whiter skin - NY Daily News
'Dark is Beautiful' movement takes on India's obsession with whiter skin - NY Daily News

@Parul please share us your thoughts on this?;)

Listen you dimwit, if there is any thread wherein I can contribute, I'll post in it. You better mind your own business & stop mentioning me in your posts. :bad:

Listen you dimwit, if there is any thread wherein I can contribute, I'll post in it. You better mind your own business & stop mentioning me in your posts. :bad:
he is banned lol

There's nothing with Indians and colour.

But there's something with Sri Lankans/Pakistanis obsession with colour of Indians. We are black and they are white.
the only people obsessed with indians colors are indians themselves.
we don't care about that stuff like your people do.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom