What's new

India wields oil 'weapon' to cut dependence on Saudi Arabia

My comment on having too much faith in Saudi power was solely based on your posts in this thread.

So,

1617801941990.png

?

If tiny Qatar can defy Saudi, surely others can too.

Pretty sure you are just feigning naivete now. Doesn't take much to realize that defying the Saudis in which they have no control is not analogous to defying them where they are the largest bully.

In OPEC, other countries listen to Saudi since it suits their interests too.

.................whatever floats your boat, bud. The years upon years of history showcasing the lackey-ism of those countries to the Saudis obviously has no value now that Indian fantasies are involved. Clearly, the overwhelming and permanently Saudi bound regional and global interests of those countries will be tossed aside for the peanuts that India has on offer. Like I said before, you are not what you wish you were.

What action can Saudi take if an Iran or a Russia defies Saudi in oil production.

You mean the very thing I have pointed you towards multiple times in this thread?

-> 2020 Russia–Saudi Arabia oil price war <-

Please don't come back with more uneducated statements.

Last edited:
What? Do you seriously expect me to read thousands of your posts or the ones related to the thread.

.................whatever floats your boat, bud. The years upon years of history showcasing the lackey-ism of those countries to the Saudis obviously has no value now that Indian fantasies are involved. Clearly, the overwhelming and permanently Saudi bound regional and global interests of those countries will be tossed aside for the peanuts that India has on offer. Like I said before, you are not what you wish you were.
Sure, whatever floats your boat. Saudi may be a big bully in oil right now, but India too is a rising power amply supported by bigger powers. Moreover, its a fight where both will be losers. So both sides will avoid an all-out fight.
Now, clearly you would reply with some more smart comment. You want to win the argument. Sure take the win. No interest in debating the same topic again and again.

He can bully small countries like Pakistan. But with India, which is his third largest oil buyer, he'll tread carefully. But let's just wait and see.
The Saudis & Emiratis tried bullying Pakistan because Pakistani governments over the years have rolled over for them. Can't blame them for trying given history. The change in Pakistan's approach towards the GCC started with Pakistan's rejection of involvement in the Yemen fiasco.

MBS has tried bullying Pakistan and gotten what?

- Pakistan refused immense Saudi+Emirati pressure to deploy troops in Yemen.
- Pakistan refused to back down on criticizing the Saudi led OIC over J&K dispute
- Pakistan refused to back down on its relationship with Turkey, Iran & Qatar
- Pakistan refused to follow the Emiratis and other Arab States in recognizing Israel, despite immense back channel pressure from the Saudis and Emiratis.

End result, the Crown Prince has invited Imran Khan back for an official visit. The tensions between the Saudis+Emiratis and Pakistan are more because the relationship has taken a new direction, especially under Imran Khan, and all sides will take time to get used to it.

The Saudis & Emiratis tried bullying Pakistan because Pakistani governments over the years have rolled over for them. Can't blame them for trying given history. The change in Pakistan's approach towards the GCC started with Pakistan's rejection of involvement in the Yemen fiasco.

MBS has tried bullying Pakistan and gotten what?

- Pakistan refused immense Saudi+Emirati pressure to deploy troops in Yemen.
- Pakistan refused to back down on criticizing the Saudi led OIC over J&K dispute
- Pakistan refused to back down on its relationship with Turkey, Iran & Qatar
- Pakistan refused to follow the Emiratis and other Arab States in recognizing Israel, despite immense back channel pressure from the Saudis and Emiratis.

End result, the Crown Prince has invited Imran Khan back for an official visit. The tensions between the Saudis+Emiratis and Pakistan are more because the relationship has taken a new direction, especially under Imran Khan, and all sides will take time to get used to it.
So you are indeed helping to prove our point. If Pakistan, despite being a smaller power than India, is able to withstand Saudi bullying, then surely India can withstand and give proper reply to Saudi bullying.

So you are indeed helping to prove our point. If Pakistan, despite being a smaller power than India, is able to withstand Saudi bullying, then surely India can withstand and give proper reply to Saudi bullying.
I'm not saying anything either way - the article in the OP may end up being a lot of hullaballoo over nothing. The Indian media and the BJP government in general can't really be trusted on the rhetoric/hot air they pump out incessantly.

With respect to the Saudi-Pakistan relationship, there are other dynamics at play here (beyond just economic heft) that India just cannot match as long as the Saudis and Iranians are at each others throats.

What? Do you seriously expect me to read thousands of your posts or the ones related to the thread.

Well, if you are going to commit yourself to ad hominem then I'd suggest putting in a little leg work to support it.

Sure, whatever floats your boat. Saudi may be a big bully in oil right now, but India too is a rising power

We keep hearing that. Still waiting on the invincible India to step out of Indian fantasies and on to the stage.

amply supported by bigger powers.

The same ones who couldn't force the Saudis into what you think will be so easy for India? Sure....

Moreover, its a fight where both will be losers. So both sides will avoid an all-out fight.

So now we are taking a step down from the "Mighty India will use oil as a weapon and force the Saudis into submission" to "both will avoid an all-out fight". That's progress.

Now, clearly you would reply with some more smart comment. You want to win the argument.

Well that is how debates and arguments work.

Sure take the win. No interest in debating the same topic again and again.

Thanks for letting me have it.

That is not what you or your minister has been overtly implying. You have been openly suggesting that India will make the Saudis submit to it.

Last edited:
I'm not saying anything either way - the article in the OP may end up being a lot of hullaballoo over nothing. The Indian media and the BJP government in general can't really be trusted on the rhetoric/hot air they pump out incessantly.

With respect to the Saudi-Pakistan relationship, there are other dynamics at play here (beyond just economic heft) that India just cannot match as long as the Saudis and Iranians are at each others throats.
What other dynamics does Pak offer Saudi?
Fellow Muslim country? - Dont think Saudis are too emotional about it. They are open to friendship with India for economic reasons. Even gave highest civilian medal to Modi.
Raheel Sharif and some soldiers for training? - They can get the same from any other country. BD might be willing to offer those services as well if given appropriate renumeration for it.
Support in Saudi wars? - This may be the only reason. They asked your help in Yemen, but you denied it.
Nuclear protection? - Saudis are aligned with US and also have close relations with Israel. They can get that protection from them too.

What other dynamics does Pak offer Saudi?
I mentioned that already when I referred to the Saudis and Iranians being at each others throats.

Outside of Pakistan, the US is probably the only country that would deploy its military in a conflict to support a direct threat to the Saudis, and it will only do that to protect oil supplies - that is not something India has done or will ever do. Pakistan has demonstrated this ability and willingness in the past by deploying troops in support of the Arabs, so the relationship, even if rocky after Pakistan's refusal to deploy in Yemen, has a history that few other countries can match.

The Bravados aside, OPEC should end the artificial price hike in the market or buyers will have to look for other sources outside of OPEC which will be counterproductive. Don't push around with the price like this, or you will end up with nobody buying from you. The US would be happy to balance its trade with India or other countries.

Although it benefits India, we know the usual ones who will end up hitching a ride on our success despite ridiculing us.

I mentioned that already when I referred to the Saudis and Iranians being at each others throats.

Outside of Pakistan, the US is probably the only country that would deploy its military in a conflict to support a direct threat to the Saudis, and it will only do that to protect oil supplies - that is not something India has done or will ever do. Pakistan has demonstrated this ability and willingness in the past by deploying troops in support of the Arabs, so the relationship, even if rocky after Pakistan's refusal to deploy in Yemen, has a history that few other countries can match.
Coming to Iran vs Saudi.
India can play a better diplomatic middleman between the two as India's relations are good with both.
Pakistan does not have very good relations with Iran.

In middle east, only Iran can / will ever threaten Saudi militarily. If it ever happens, US will happily jump in to support Saudi. Saudis dont need Pak for that. They will only need Pak in Saudi initiated colonial wars. Pak has taken a decision to not get involved in such wars.

Not so simple.

If all it needed was a 'better diplomatic middleman', then it would have happened already.
Right now, Saudis dont have anything to talk to Iran about. When they do, India is a better option than Pak.

The Bravados aside, OPEC should end the artificial price hike in the market or buyers will have to look for other sources outside of OPEC which will be counterproductive. Don't push around with the price like this, or you will end up with nobody buying from you. The US would be happy to balance its trade with India or other countries.

So what sources are these? OPEC controls 50% of the worlds Oil supply and 90% of the world's proven oil reserves. Where and who will you go to for oil?

Although it benefits India, we know the usual ones who will end up hitching a ride on our success despite ridiculing us.

Lol....

So what sources are these? OPEC controls 50% of the worlds Oil supply and 90% of the world's proven oil reserves. Where and who will you go to for oil?
Back for more lol... Who said anything about picking on OPEC? Did you miss the thread title?

Back
Top Bottom