What's new

India warns Israel, Russia to meet deadlines or lose defence orders

insas91

Reaction score
India warns Israel, Russia to meet deadlines or lose defence orders news

29 May 2009

With its increasing clout in the international armaments bazaar, India used the occasion of the introduction of the Phalcon AWACS into the Indian Air Force as an opportunity to warn Russia and Israel - currently its biggest suppliers - that new purchases of equipment would depend on timely delivery of pending orders.

On Thursday, India became one of the few countries to possess an advanced airborne warning and control system. But the Phalcon, an Israeli system mounted on the Russian IL-76 aircraft, has been delivered 18 months late.

Publicly giving vent to India's frustration at the huge delays in contracted weapon supplies from Russia and Israel, which do lucrative arms business worth $1.5 billion and $1 billion annually with New Delhi respectively, defence minister A K Antony said deadlines must be respected.

The Indian defence establishment opened a new season of big-ticket military purchases this week. Over the next five years, the army, navy and air force are embarking on a modernisation programme that could see more than $50 billion spent in new military technology. It could also mark a major shift from a dependence on mostly Russian military technology to western military technology.

Antony said, ''This agreement (to procure the system) was signed in 2004. It is five years. Now five years is too long a time. There are two more AWACS that are yet to be delivered. I hope they will be on time.''

Looking at the ambassadors of Russia and Israel who were in the audience at the air force terminal at Delhi airport, he said, ''The ambassadors of Russia and Israel are here. I wish to convey my anxieties over the delays in the supply of equipment. I can say that if deliveries are on time there will be more orders.''

Defence secretary Vijay Singh is scheduled to lead a team from the ministry and the navy to Moscow on Sunday for meetings to hasten deliveries of military hardware India has contracted from Russia that have slipped on schedule.

Antony said that in his last meeting with the Russian defence minister, there was an agreement to hasten deliveries. However, the Gorshkov aircraft carrier price hike is still being negotiated after the Russians asked for an additional $2.9 billion.

Antony said he was seeking to convey to all military suppliers that ''we have to further speed up the procurement as the security scenario around us demands that we must equip our armed forces with the most modern equipment''

The Indian defence establishment opened a new season of big-ticket military purchases this week. Over the next five years, the army, navy and air force are embarking on a modernisation programme that could see more than $50 billion spent in new military technology. It could also mark a major shift from a dependence on mostly Russian military technology to western military technology.

Good bye Mig-35 for MRCA?

Good bye Mig-35 for MRCA?

Delay is only possible after the contract. Its a firm thing to say by India. If we are ready to give them billions then they should abide by their time. We have seen inductions running into decades, and technologies running old since they take so long to be inducted. I dont think it has anything to do MRCA

I like Anthony as a Minster for a defence services.

I also like India,s bullishness..

India carries a lot of clout in Military imports from abroad.

If peoplw want top dollars then india delivery schedules request for TOT etc have to be abided.

I also agree that mig35 will not win the mrca contract. The Russians are losing alot of credibility amongest india defense planners.

Delay is only possible after the contract.
But it's more likely with aircrafts that are not operational now and only prototypes are available (Mig 35, Gripen NG), or aircrafts that already faces delays (EF).
The fact that we need MMRCA because of our delays should make clear that only a ready and proven aircraft should win!

Well time to learn some harsh lessons if you piss off Israel AND russia most of your big ticket items will go a swirling....

Well time to learn some harsh lessons if you piss off Israel AND russia most of your big ticket items will go a swirling....

It is not the question of losing the big ticket items, but more of customer demands. The old business phrase "Customers are always right."

MONEY TALKS,

that swipe was aimed at russia.

They are not meeting deadlines,,, india wants her planes ships missles on time.

india is suggesting her money may better received at EADS or Lockheed Martin.

"shape up russia or ship out" is the message

United States is a much more reliable military manufacture, India should negotiate with the US on purchasing military technology

Isn't it just the other way around? 1.5 years delay for A50, donno how many years for Gorshkov now and who knows what Pak Fa/FGFA will bring? It's just a signal to Russia to speed up such procurements if they want to keep India as a top buyer of their arms. I don't think they will accept such delays if we had to pay them right?

United States is a much more reliable military manufacture, India should negotiate with the US on purchasing military technology

No offence but thats a utter crock. the U.S. sometimes can't even keep up demand from aliies s well as its own forces. And the U.S. always has its own little caveats to such purchases.

That India spend as much as they do with foreign suppliers and the urgency they exhibit is, ought to be, troubling, for those observers who wonder why these funds were not put to use developing local industries and capablities - clearly such an effort may have taken longer to come to fruition, but the urgency, should focus these observers minds.

Isn't it just the other way around? 1.5 years delay for A50, donno how many years for Gorshkov now and who knows what Pak Fa/FGFA will bring? It's just a signal to Russia to speed up such procurements if they want to keep India as a top buyer of their arms. I don't think they will accept such delays if we had to pay them right?

Yea but if you annoy them then you can say good bye to projects that have allowed India access to certain platforms that they would not have had previously. that means no carrier no PAK-FA no Phalcon etc etc. the U.S. would not allow as much access and the Russians would find plenty of markets to sell to that otherwise would have been blocked.

Yea but if you annoy them then you can say good bye to projects that have allowed India access to certain platforms that they would not have had previously. that means no carrier no PAK-FA no Phalcon etc etc. the U.S. would not allow as much access and the Russians would find plenty of markets to sell to that otherwise would have been blocked.

All power to them then!!

I don't know how Russian buisness systems works, but it is not par with India's. No one expects to be keep paying money after the deal, changing contracts, delay of parts after the payment, and espiecially this one I love, promise of, transfer of technology.

Cash is King!!!

All power to them then!!

I don't know how Russian buisness systems works, but it is not par with India's. No one expects to be keep paying money after the deal, changing contracts, delay of parts after the payment, and espiecially this one I love, promise of, transfer of technology.

Cash is King!!!

Yes but when Russia was economically weak you guys tried to get bargains and frankly get away with murder because you were in a stronger position (The carrier deal is a example of this). Now with Russia in a better place you are getting the other end of the stick so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom