What's new

India Wants New Defence Ties with Sri Lanka

If not for the British would there have been Tamils there in the first place? I'm sorry but my sympathies lie strictly with the Sinhalese in this case.

Srilanka was completely conquered by the Tamil King Rajendira Chola and Tamils have been there ever since.

BTW can we extend the same logic to the Muslims in Kashmir.?

Srilanka was completely conquered by the Tamil King Rajendira Chola and Tamils have been there ever since.

BTW can we extend the same logic to the Muslims in Kashmir.?

Sure if you'd like, I'm not really familiar with the history of Kashmir beyond the rudimentary.

If not for the British would there have been Tamils there in the first place? I'm sorry but my sympathies lie strictly with the Sinhalese in this case.

the sinhalese are themselves immigrants to Sri Lanka.......though this was in ancient times ( emperor Ashoka's times) ..the veddans are the original inhabitants...and also tamil immigration there has little to no connection to the british....may be in malaysia or fiji but not Sri lanka.....50% of Indian origin Tamils were repatriated when the british left......
on topic.......considering strategic locations and circumstances......civilisational ties also count to a certain extent......It 's a mutually benificial move for both parties involved..... a good move by india to secure a strategic ally.....a credible effort against "the string of pearls"......:cheers:

the sinhalese are themselves immigrants to Sri Lanka.......though this was in ancient times ( emperor Ashoka's times) ..the veddans are the original inhabitants...and also tamil immigration there has little to no connection to the british....may be in malaysia or fiji but not Sri lanka.....50% of Indian origin Tamils were repatriated when the british left......
on topic.......considering strategic locations and circumstances......civilisational ties also count to a certain extent......It 's a mutually benificial move for both parties involved..... a good move by india to secure a strategic ally.....a credible effort against "the string of pearls"......:cheers:

Please not so many ...... also there is no need for a counter to "the string of pearls" (a largely Indian trumped term).

Sri Lanka is its own country, it is free to make alliances and cooperate with anyone it likes, be it India or China. It is not a pawn in some great geopolitical game. I see no reason why China and India can't both invest in and befriend Sri Lanka to the benefit of everyone involved.

'Stating that panels set up by the Sri Lankan government to probe the allegations ‘lacked the needed credibility, a group of US Congressmen is urging the Obama administration to push for an independent international investigation into alleged war crimes that occurred during Sri Lanka's civil war.
In a letter dated 9th August and signed by 57 members of the US House of Representatives to US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton the group states the panels appointed by the government of Sri Lanka “delayed criminal investigations and in several instances members of these commissions have resigned in protest at the government's interference.”
"There is mounting evidence that suggests both parties in the conflict committed severe human rights violations during the conflict." The letter also states, "We urge you to call for a robust and independent international investigation that would finally clarify the events that occurred during the conflict and provide the foundation for a sustainable peace in Sri Lanka."
Sri Lanka, however, has rejected a United Nations probe into alleged rights abuses during the final stages of the war. Sri Lanka says that no civilians were killed during the war and that it would not allow the UN or any other independent body to probe war crimes allegations.

I understand terrible things were done by the government forces. Civil wars are never pretty but in my personal opinion the moral right goes with the government.

Also America needs to butt out. What does a senator from Arkansas know about the situation in the subcontinent?

Please not so many ...... also there is no need for a counter to "the string of pearls" (a largely Indian trumped term).

Sri Lanka is its own country, it is free to make alliances and cooperate with anyone it likes, be it India or China. It is not a pawn in some great geopolitical game. I see no reason why China and India can't both invest in and befriend Sri Lanka to the benefit of everyone involved.

Yes I completely agree with you.

SriLanka is a sovereign nation and must choose its partners keeping in mind only its interests.

No one wants SL to be a puppet for India.

But what I am saying is the Sinhalese are not all angelic as it is portrayed and the Tamils were not all terrorists.

Infact the SL Army committed some of the worst war crimes in this battle indiscriminately mass-murdering SL Tamil civilians.

Sri Lanka Navy interested in The Shivalik class frigates or Project 17 class frigates are multi-role frigates with stealth features being built for the Indian Navy.

The Shivalik class will be the main frigates of the Indian Navy in the first half of the 21st century.

Let’s see if India sells them to Sri Lanka

Shivalik_Maiden_Sortie.jpg

Where did you got that 'news'??? Sounds completely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom