What's new

India wants Gorshkov in 6 months; says Further Delay will invite Penalty

sudhir007

Reaction score
India wants Gorshkov in 6 months; says Further Delay will invite Penalty

India will strongly take up with Russia the delay in delivery of aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, the refurbished Admiral Gorshkov, asking it to deploy additional manpower to ensure the warship’s “refit” is completed within 67 months.

Defence minister A K Antony will stress this to his visiting Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov during the 12th meeting of India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) here on Thursday, said sources.

The delivery of the already much-delayed Vikramaditya was to take place on December 9, as per the re-revised timeline, but crippling engine-boiler malfunctions during sea trials have put paid to the plan. It has been a double whammy for the navy as far as its long-standing ambition to deploy two operational carrier battle groups (CBGs) by 2015 was concerned. First, delivery schedule of the 40,000-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC) being built at Cochin Shipyard was pushed back to 2018.

And now, it’s certain the 44,570-tonne Vikramaditya will not be ready for induction anytime before end-2013 at the earliest. So, India will have to soldier on with its solitary carrier, the over 50-year-old 28,000-tonne INS Viraat, for the foreseeable future.

“We will tell the Russians to seriously step up the workforce at the Sevmash shipyard for the refit-repair of Vikramaditya. A leeway of three to four months is provided in the contract after the December delivery date… Beyond that, penalty clauses and liquidity damages could kick in,” said a source.

India has already paid $2.33 billion for Vikramaditya’s refit, instead of the original $974 million earmarked in the January 2004 contract under which the carrier was to be delivered by August, 2008. New Delhi is spending another $2 billion to induct 45 Russian MiG-29K naval fighters to operate from the decks of Vikramaditya and IAC.

During the delegation-level talks on Thursday, India and Russia will also discuss ongoing projects for 272 Sukhoi-30MKI fighters and 1,657 T-90S mainbattle tanks. While IAF has so far inducted 160 Sukhois towards getting all 272 by 2018 at a cost of over $12 billion, transfer of technology (ToT) problems continue to plague the T-90S tanks.

India had first ordered 310 tanks for Rs 3,625 crore in 2001, then another 347 for Rs 4,900 crore in 2007. But indigenous manufacture of another 1,000 T-90S tanks has been painfully slow, with the army having just about 710 of the tanks so far.

A source told a news agency: “A state commission has concluded it was necessary to extend the handover date to fall 2013 due to the need to fix all the faults found, including the insulation of the ship’s boilers.”

The source of the problem, which reduced the ship’s maximum speed from a design 29 knots to just 27.9 knots, was due to use of low-grade Chinesemade firebricks in the boiler insulation instead of asbestos, he said. Last week, the Chinese Defense Minister Yan Yujun flatly denied any such locally-made firebricks had been exported to Russia, it was reported.

During the delegation-level talks on Thursday, India and Russia will also discuss ongoing projects for 272 Sukhoi-30MKI fighters and 1,657 T-90S main battle tanks. While IAF has so far inducted 160 Sukhois towards getting all 272 by 2018 at a cost of over $12 billion, transfer of technology (ToT) problems continue to plague the T-90S tanks.

So how many Active MBT we have in total.

Approx 750 T90MBT
Approx 200 Arjun

We should have approx 2000 Active duty MBT and another Approx 3500 T72.

Disgusting, These Russians are looting us , India should not purchase their "Bhangar" any more :angry:,

We are spending 3 billion on old bhangar , china building new carrier in 4 billion . I don't know what our politicians see, but i think this Ship going to be disaster money sucking Bhangar .

just imagine how much problems are coming before delivery don't how much will After delivery :cheesy:!!!!

Stupid Congress , We don't need such carrier , China will never dare to attack India again and We don't need carrier for Pakistan :taz:.

Disgusting, These Russians are looting us , India should not purchase their "Bhangar" any more :angry:,

Say good bye to nuclear submarine and ToT on S-400s and others.

We are spending 3 billion on old bhangar china building new carrier in 4 billion , I don't know what our politicians see, but i think this Ship going to be disaster money sucking Bhangar .

just imagine how much problems are coming before delivery don't how much will After delivery :cheesy:!!!!

Stupid Congress , We don't need such carrier , China will never dare to attack India again and We don't need carrier for Pakistan :taz:.

The carrier has little to do with China, INS Virat is at the end of her service life and needs replacement, India's indigenous carrier will take time, in the mean time we compensate with INS Vikramaditya.

We are spending 3 billion on old bhangar , china building new carrier in 4 billion . I don't know what our politicians see, but i think this Ship going to be disaster money sucking Bhangar .

you know the lame nerdy guy at school who wanted to hang out with popular guys, well he had to buy them thing everyday, lunch money, home work etc.

Admiral Gorshkov delay upsets India.

PIX+-+2+VIKRAMADITYA+PREPARING+TO+LEAVE+HARBOUR+FOR+SEA+TRIALS.jpg

NEW DELHI: India will 'strongly' take up with Russia the delay in delivery of aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, the refurbished Admiral Gorshkov, asking it to deploy additional manpower to ensure the large warship's 'refit package' is completed within six-seven months.

Defence minister A K Antony will stress this to his visiting Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov during the 12th meeting of India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) here on Thursday, said sources.

The delivery of the already much-delayed Vikramaditya was to take place on December 9, as per the re-revised timeline, but crippling engine-boiler malfunctions during the carrier's recent sea trials have put paid to the plan. It has been a double whammy for the Navy as far as its long-standing ambition to deploy two operational carrier battle groups (CBGs) by 2015 was concerned. First, delivery schedule of the 40,000-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC) being built at Cochin Shipyard was pushed to 2018.

And now, it's certain the 44,570-tonne Vikramaditya will not be ready for induction anytime before end-2013 at the earliest. So, India will have to soldier on with its solitary carrier, the over 50-year-old 28,000-tonne INS Viraat, for the foreseeable future. This when China has recently commissioned its first aircraft carrier, the 65,000-tonne Liaoning, and the US seeks to 'rebalance' six of its 11 potent CBGs towards Asia-Pacific.

"We will tell the Russians to step up the workforce at the Sevmash shipyard for the refit-repair of Vikramaditya. A leeway of three to four months is provided in the contract after the December delivery date...Beyond that, penalty clauses and liquidity damages could kick in,'' said a source.

India has already paid $2.33 billion for Vikramaditya's refit, instead of the original $974 million earmarked in the January 2004 contract under which the carrier was to be delivered by August, 2008. New Delhi is spending another $2 billion to induct 45 Russian MiG-29K naval fighters to operate from the decks of Vikramaditya and IAC.

During the delegation-level talks on Thursday, India and Russia will also discuss ongoing projects for 272 Sukhoi-30MKI fighters and 1,657 T-90S main-battle tanks. While IAF has so far inducted 160 Sukhois towards getting all 272 by 2018 at a cost of over $12 billion, transfer of technology (ToT) problems continue to plague the T-90S tanks. India had first ordered 310 tanks for Rs 3,625 crore in 2001, then another 347 for Rs 4,900 crore in 2007. But indigenous manufacture of another 1,000 T-90S tanks has been painfully slow, with the Army having just about 710 of the tanks so far. While Russia will remain India's largest defence supplier for many years, Moscow's tendency to delay deliveries and ToT, jack up costs midway and faulty product support has forced New Delhi to increasingly look at countries like Israel and US for military hardware and software.

Admiral Gorshkov delay upsets India - The Times of India

You see "Vikidi" as Bhangar ??? It's beautiful and I am sad you fail to see it

We can't stop purchasing from Russia - cuz its the only country that will sell us everything we want. Forget the past. I agree Russians are bad on time and delivery schedule but hey their economy and industry isn't that strong it used to be. They helped us in our time of need. We aren't obligated to help but we should. Offcourse we can talk with then and clear the issues

We are spending 2.4 billions on carrier and 2 billions on Mig29Ks. China is making news carrier in 4 B$ :D who told you ? Even Chinese know what they suppose to know nothing more nothing less. I will say google the ACC prices from other countries to that size. USA is making one so you can search its price. It's overbudget.
2.4 billion is cost of complete refitt right from the steal of hull. It's almost new. I will say 98% is brand new material.

Problem is there but as one of our former Neval chief had said give me a carrier in 3 Billions I will buy it right now :D

This deal was sign when Indian shipbuilding industry was that big and we were facing tonnes of sanctions from around the world. So it was a good deal and still is

In accordance with the habits of the Russians, they will postpone the delivery and ask for more money.
how much $ do indians spend on this carrier ?

In accordance with the habits of the Russians, they will postpone the delivery and ask for more money.
how much $ do indians spend on this carrier ?

It's the first line of the SIXTH paragraph if you can read :P
And if yes come back with answer and I will give you a STAR for that :P

There are some misconceptions about the cost of INS Vikramaditya, which need to be corrected:

We have paid $2.35 billion for the carrier which includes - upgrade & refit of AC, original 16 mig-29k, training, weapon systems, etc. In exchange we have got an AC which can be said to be 90% new with expected service life of 30-35 years, 30 on board helos & jets, 45k tonnes mid AC.

On the other hand an AC like QE costs $4 billions only for the AC so obviously jets & training costs can amount to 1-1.5 billion dollars more, again it has an expected service life of 40 years & very costly to operate.

So, IMHO, we haven't got a bad deal at all in $2.3 billion as IN is one of the most professional armed force in world :tup:

very envious !!!!! we can only buy scrap metal from russia..:tup:

Back
Top Bottom