What's new

India vs England: Bell survives close shout, decision criticised by experts

EastWest

BANNED
Reaction score
India vs England: Bell survives close shout, decision criticised by experts

BANGALORE: The crucial group B World Cup match between India and England on Sunday witnessed a controversial moment when Ian Bell was ruled not out by on-field umpire Billy Bowden to a delivery, which TV replays clearly showed, was hitting the stumps.

Bowling the final ball of the 25th over, Yuvraj Singh's delivery struck Bell on the pads and the ball-tracking system suggested it was going to hit middle and off. The batsman, shaping up for a sweep, was almost on his way back after watching replays on the giant screen, but Bowden was not convinced.

India called for the decision review but third umpire Rod Tucker somehow went with Bowden's decision as there was more than 2.5m between impact and the stumps.

The controversial decision was roundly criticised by commentators Nasser Hussain and Sourav Ganguly. The former England skipper said that irrespective of whether the distance was 2.5 or 3 metre the decision was wrong, and Ganguly nodded in complete agreement.

"I don't care whether it is 2.5 or 3.5 or 4.5, the ball was clearly going to hit the middle stump and he should have been given out," Hussain said.

Fellow commentator Ganguly said, "I do agree with you Nasser, I think Bell is very lucky to have survived."

Man , that was Out

if bell would have been given out that time , the result would have been different

Yes we would have won it but now the game is over lets get over it

Man , that was Out

if bell would have been given out that time , the result would have been different

Exactly He was out!!! But it just happen and nothing can be done about it now...!!

it happens,but forget it

If it was just an field Umpire decision..I would completely agree with u...

But this came from UDRS..i think this is really bad and definitely needed to be taken with up ICC.

let's not get stuck in Bell's decision.. we could have easily scored over 350 if it wasn't for poor running between the wickets by our batsmen, too many dot balls & maiden over played by the batsmen. too many misfields & dropped catches!! anyway.. india needed this kick up their back side to get off their high horse!! i'm sure they will come good in their remaining matches!!

This decision is going to be the subject of a great deal of discussion, hair-splitting, arguments and what not for the next few days. But the episode just goes to show the fallacy behind believing that modern technology is simplifying decision making for the umpires. I mean, "Hawkeye" very clearly showed something which does not match with the 2.5 meter rule. So, either "Hawkeye" is in error or the 2.5 meter rule is incorrectly premised.
Why is there a contradiction? :confused:

p.s. this decision has little to do with the final result of the match.

just part of the game, happens, no need to whine...

we cant have aleem dars and asad raufs in every game..

well similar decision was given not out couple of days ago

when South Africa was playing against West Indies and it was clearly going to hit - but umpires gave it Not out and so did the UDRS.

Don't worry - they are trying to upheld the umpires decisions and not definitely relying upon the UDRS system only. This technology is very new and can technically create wrong graphics

This was given not out by both Umpires and the UDRS so lets accept their decision and forget this issue now

wat if.....................?wat if not.........................?

Match is over.now why cry over spilled milk.

In UDRS , 1st clause is that if the ball hits more than 2.5 m away from the stumps then the original decision is kept .
But the 2nd clause is that it applies unless the ball hits middle stumos .

So the 3rd umpire was partly correct but he forgot the 2nd clause and in this case ball was clearly hitting middle and off .

Leave it now ...
It could nowhere be compared to Steve Buknor though

Shane Warne is the new Paul Octopus
NDTV Correspondent Last updated on Monday, 28 February 2011 00:45
font size decrease font size increase font size Print Be the first to comment! Share:
Add to Google BuzzAdd to FacebookAdd to DeliciousDigg thisAdd to RedditAdd to StumbleUponNew Delhi: After FIFA World Cup's Paul Octopus, Shane Warne played the perfect oracle, as much before the India-England match started, the former Australia spinner predicted it would be a tie in Bangalore.

Warne wrote on his Twitter account, "Looking forward to the game between india and England today should be a cracker.. My prediction a tie!"

And so it was when England made 338 for 8 in 50 overs in reply to India's 338 all out in 49.5 overs. Zaheer Khan was the last man to fall as he was run out for 4 runs. Had the Indian batsmen completed one run in the end, the match would well have been in India's bag. But that was not to be.

Soon after the match was over, Warney made sure no wrong guesses were made over his prediction. "Before u think there was something untoward re prediction of a tie, thought it was going to be a cracker-tie was tongue in cheek-but right," he tweeted.

GUYS this was the perfect match fixing as warne have connections with some indian bookies due to IPL and have fined in the past too.
now what will be the future of CWC 2011.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/current-events-social-issues/95424-england-vs-india-fixed-says-shane-warne-predicted-3-pm-india-time-where-icc.html#post1523380

Back
Top Bottom