What's new

India urges Israel to speed up defence projects

Agree with everything, except the word TOT... It is the most abused word on these forums... We have never achieved proper TOTs, else we would not still continue to be so pedestal in making even 155mm Howiters (for example). We just get a 'happy feeling' on the word TOT, but real IP knowledge has never been transmitted or transferred (which has to happen if TOT has to be complete in any sense of that word), thus making this word more useless than reliability of my model car's battery

Unfortunately, this is where I have to repeat my now dreary sermon of the difference between knowledge and information.
India in many cases has Transfer of Information and not Transfer of Knowledge.
Information is quick, it helps you achieve a level faster. Knowledge is slow, but it builds upon your level to allow you to exceed that level later.
The former is useful for quick gains(or allowing a certain level of tech to a certain country).. while the latter allows that target country to consistently achieve those(and higher) levels of tech even after the helping hand leaves.

Unfortunately, this is where I have to repeat my now dreary sermon of the difference between knowledge and information.
Information is quick, it helps you achieve a level faster. Knowledge is slow, but it builds upon your level to allow you to exceed that level later.
The former is useful for quick gains(or allowing a certain level of tech to a certain country).. while the latter allows that target country to consistently achieve those(and higher) levels of tech even after the helping hand leaves.

Well said Oscar.. But, unfortunately, this applies to most of emerging economies, not only India (India comes across as the most blatant example because we are the biggest defense importer and we export less than peanuts, when it comes to defense exports)... Our hyper economic growth and exploding confidence needs some ego-satisfying messages (justifying a sense of what i call as false pride) and the key defense exporters and our own governments just use that leverage and just keep feeding us with illusions... Fact is, we need to be self critical and challenging our past best, else we will never 'grow up' and will remain dependent on the world for everything - be it assault guns, artillery, jets, engines, ships, submarines or something else - most defense equipment other than missiles!

Self reliance comes over multiple decades of stringent focus and if we fool ourselves that we will be self reliant in 5 years or 10 years with our style of self-praising approach and tolerance to non-performance (and without compromising the IPR safety confidence that the world has in us - which I believe we should never compromise on). People like me will remain like outlaws, because hubris does not appreciate people speaking inconvenient truth!

Bang on. What is required besides this, is, small projects to be provided to the premier technical institutes which lead to a bigger vision. It has started, but, not yet at the levels of the western countries. These will give rise to students realising the potential of the military as a funding firm, instead, of moving to the usual choices. This will in turn give rise to innovations and hopefully lead to more PhDs coming out of the country.

Also, importantly professors need to understand the application part of the research too. For eg, understanding how marine animals survive in extreme pressures, may one day give way to technological breakthroughs in underwater sustenance and propulsion. Who knows?

Agree with everything, except the word TOT... It is the most abused word on these forums... We have never achieved proper TOTs, else we would not still continue to be so pedestal in making even 155mm Howiters (for example). We just get a 'happy feeling' on the word TOT, but real IP knowledge has never been transmitted or transferred (which has to happen if TOT has to be complete in any sense of that word), thus making this word more useless than reliability of my model car's battery

Knowledge was transfered, but mainly to assemble or produce certain parts in India, critical ToT was very less in earlier deals, because India was not in the position to demand more in the past. This has changed though, which can be seen in the MKI deal, or today in MMRCA, engines for LCA, or even the current negotiations about ATGMs, let alone the co-developments. Indias access to high techs was never as high as it is today and that's because our industry is improving as well. Indian shipyards for example have used ToT for certain systems, we used Israeli radar ToT for our own developments, same goes for avionics..., but Indian defence industry is still at the begining and it will take time till we have even the infrastructure to fully absorb the ToT that we can have today. That's why we still struggle to licence build the Scorpenes, why or why many MMRCA vendors had doubts about the 50% ToT requirement.

Self reliance comes over multiple decades of stringent focus

If we keep doing it alone, but if we team up with foreign partners for indigenous developments, we can benefit from them and speed up the process of improving our forces and our industry by far!

Knowledge was transfered, but mainly to assemble or produce certain parts in India, critical ToT was very less in earlier deals, because India was not in the position to demand more in the past. This has changed though, which can be seen in the MKI deal, or today in MMRCA, engines for LCA, or even the current negotiations about ATGMs, let alone the co-developments. Indias access to high techs was never as high as it is today and that's because our industry is improving as well. Indian shipyards for example have used ToT for certain systems, we used Israeli radar ToT for our own developments, same goes for avionics..., but Indian defence industry is still at the begining and it will take time till we have even the infrastructure to fully absorb the ToT that we can have today. That's why we still struggle to licence build the Scorpenes, why or why many MMRCA vendors had doubts about the 50% ToT requirement.

If we keep doing it alone, but if we team up with foreign partners for indigenous developments, we can benefit from them and speed up the process of improving our forces and our industry by far!

Don't think that 'just' partnering will help... We have to privatize our defense design capability and spread the responsibility... The same pot bellied HAL and NAL guys will screw it up again as they just have no incentives for successes or disincentive for failures... irrespective of how many chances you give to them... and I am happy to be proven wrong there... Without competition, we will stay at doordarshan level always

Don't think that 'just' partnering will help... We have to privatize our defense design capability and spread the responsibility... The same pot bellied HAL and NAL guys will screw it up again as they just have no incentives for successes or disincentive for failures... irrespective of how many chances you give to them... and I am happy to be proven wrong there... Without competition, we will stay at doordarshan level always

I didn't said that we should just partner, but there is a big confusion amongst Indians, that 100% indigenous developments is the only way to reach self reliance, just like privatisation is the key for any problem, which it isn't either!

Where does the privat industry get their knowledge for FICVs for example? From foreign partners!
Where did TATA got the gun for the new SPH? From a foreign partner!
Where did the Kalyani Group get the knowledge for their howitzer offer, or where does Mahindra get their knowledge in the aero field? By taking over foreign companies!

So they are not automatically better than our government companies and has to get assistance as well. The main problem for the government companies is, once we have too less competition, since HAL is the only one in the aero field, DRDO the only one for most of the important developments and if they are busy or fails, we have no alternative. That's why we must let the private companies in, to either offer alternatives like in the FICV competition, or jointly develop and produce arms with our government companies.
Mahindra has a JV with NAL for a smaller civil prop aircraft, which could be extended to a basic prop trainer (which NAL has developed before too), or even further to a joint RTA 70 development, for the civil passenger aircraft market. We have to find a balance between partnerships, government and privat developments to get self reliant on the one hand, but improve ourselfs in a faster way that simple indigenous development would.

I didn't said that we should just partner, but there is a big confusion amongst Indians, that 100% indigenous developments is the only way to reach self reliance, just like privatisation is the key for any problem, which it isn't either!

Where does the privat industry get their knowledge for FICVs for example? From foreign partners!
Where did TATA got the gun for the new SPH? From a foreign partner!
Where did the Kalyani Group get the knowledge for their howitzer offer, or where does Mahindra get their knowledge in the aero field? By taking over foreign companies!

So they are not automatically better than our government companies and has to get assistance as well. The main problem for the government companies is, once we have too less competition, since HAL is the only one in the aero field, DRDO the only one for most of the important developments and if they are busy or fails, we have no alternative. That's why we must let the private companies in, to either offer alternatives like in the FICV competition, or jointly develop and produce arms with our government companies.
Mahindra has a JV with NAL for a smaller civil prop aircraft, which could be extended to a basic prop trainer (which NAL has developed before too), or even further to a joint RTA 70 development, for the civil passenger aircraft market. We have to find a balance between partnerships, government and privat developments to get self reliant on the one hand, but improve ourselfs in a faster way that simple indigenous development would.

Well, to begin, I didn't infer that there is one solution to any large and complex problem, let alone a problem of the magnitude that our defense sector is facing... Obviously this has to be addressed by an integrated, multi-layered and detailed plan and we absolutely lack that. If you tell me that Tata picking up a technology or Mahindra making a JV is a part of a larger (and more importantly, Structured) program, then I fail to see the contours of that program...

But, like most indians 'confuse' TOT word, most also 'confuse' what is really on the offer... First, I don't believe that knowledge absorption is the forte of our Govt companies. Second, I don't think every company out there is as desperate to offer their TOT as desperate you make it sound to be (it surely sounds nice, but parting with IPR is not a funny topic). Third, even if we get TOT of a certain version. But, to develop that technology further, you need R&D capabilities to groom those technologies further. Look at it in an unbiased way, we fail in all 3.. So, we might know how to make SU 30MKI and its engine, but we will not be able to make a better engine, because a) we didn't learn the science, but the process b) we didn't even do that properly, to replicate elsewhere c) we don't have the resources who understand this and can develop this further. So, next time we need a high thrust engine, we will still be looking for a TOT seller and THAT is the core of the problem that I cry about... Other than that, I am completely with you Sancho that what is happening is definitely better. But, I say that just that much is just not enough.

On the competence issue of our state ownned companies... Our Govt companies that are monopolies are just inefficient (and, except missiles, give me a single other instance). Ones that had a competition, improved drastically. Look at the case of BHEL, SBI and NTPC (even BSNL to a small extent) improved by leaps and bounds after they had to competed with private players. HAL, NAL, MIDHANI and their ilks will NEVER improve, if they don't have to fight to retain their space... remember, in US, even F22 is made by a private company and not by DoD or their factories. We are just not learning that....

And, thank you for your time!!!

Well, to begin, I didn't infer that there is one solution to any large

That's why I said that we Indians in general have such a point of view and didn't meant you specifically. ;)

If you tell me that Tata picking up a technology or Mahindra making a JV is a part of a larger (and more importantly, Structured) program, then I fail to see the contours of that program..

They are, for their own benefits so far, while Indian government / MoD has still to much trust in the government companies to go for a larger program that includes such privat companies in a bigger way, but that changes as well can see slowly as well (recent offer to sell 10% of HAL is one sign, increased co-developments and JVs of the government companies another).

First, I don't believe that knowledge absorption is the forte of our Govt companies.

If it's good for our privat companies, why shouldn't it be good for our government companies too?

Second, I don't think every company out there is as desperate to offer their TOT as desperate you make it sound to be

Of course they are not, but if they want to get a share of the Indian market, they have to, that's the big change of Indian foreign procurements of today and the past! Back then we were desperate for anything that was offered to us, because it wasn't much and only Russia and France mainly offered us good stuff. That's when we were in the weak position.
Today we have the biggest defence market in the world, while most other nations are struggeling to develop or procure new arms. Now we have anything on offer, can choose what is the best for us and even determine the conditions! If the vendors fullfil our requirements, they will get a chance for a deal (Rafale/EF, EC Fennec/Kamov 226), if not they will be rejected (F16/F18SH, Bell 406/ S92).

Third, even if we get TOT of a certain version. But, to develop that technology further, you need R&D capabilities to groom those technologies further.

Of course we need own R&D, but first we have to absorb it and that's where we seems to have difficulties in first place, but when that is done in a good way, we can further develop things based on what we learned (Dhruv to Rudra and LCH, Dhruv to HAL LUH, Israeli radar or avionics to). Also own R&D does not mean it has to be a program that results into an operational deployment, a tech demo program improves own R&D capabilities too, while it saves a lot of money because we don't need to develop a fully developed tech and that in high numbers.

So, next time we need a high thrust engine, we will still be looking for a TOT seller and THAT is the core of the problem that I cry about...

But ToT only gives you the basics of the current generation, to further develop it to the next generation, you need capable own R&D of course, as explained above. If we would have done the Kaveri developoment right, we would have used the basics HAL learned for producing Russian and western engines and formed a partnership with either Russia or France for a new engine development according to our requirements. That would have given us not only a good engine, but also the knowledge how to develop such a project effectively, but also how to develop a modern engine. Based on this and our own R&D improvements, we should be able in future to do the upgrades alone, so basically one step after the other! Sadly we thought we know it better and messed the whole development up.

On the competence issue of our state ownned companies... Our Govt companies that are monopolies are just inefficient (and, except missiles, give me a single other instance). Ones that had a competition, improved drastically. [/QUOTE]

Exactly, but our problem is also that we have only very few government companies, that are basically responsible for anything as explained in my last post. It would be better if we splitt our requirements in the aero field for example to certain parts by HAL (jet aircrafts and helicopters), certain to NAL (prop and transport aircrafts) with privat companies as partners, be it Mahindra, TATA, L&T... Similarly DRDO has way too much things under their responsibility, while fields like armored vehicles and guns should be diverted to other companies, to make them concentrate on radars, missiles...

Ok, so here we start... You would agree that it is not about right or wrong, but about perspectives and here is my 2 cents on the matter, from my perspective

They are, for their own benefits so far, while Indian government / MoD has still to much trust in the government companies to go for a larger program that includes such privat companies in a bigger way, but that changes as well can see slowly as well (recent offer to sell 10% of HAL is one sign, increased co-developments and JVs of the government companies another).

10% stake sale kind of ideas will not cut it. the anatomy of a corporate culture is such that unless control of one entity is diluted significantly and until there are not enough independent directors on the board, the company will never grow... Look at what happened to SBI, after they became public and had 3 new independent directors... the company really really grew the nerve to fight unions, streamline their operations, invest in technology and look at the profitability, corruption and NPA levels of SBI and compare that with 10 years ago... Problem is that Govt doesn't even intend to make HAL and NAL that accountable at all... neither to itself, nor to public.

Plus, the real intent of Govt's message is not to diversify the control, but to raise money to bridge the budget deficit (to make a balanced budget) and that is why i just don't believe if their intentions are to strengthen defence sector or to balance the budget and reduce the deficit...

If it's good for our privat companies, why shouldn't it be good for our government companies too?

Simple... Talent attraction, remuneration and retention (of the level that it is required), is just not doable for state sponsored companies... SO, getting the right people, who can really do knowledge management of such stuff and put it to use is hard to believe as doable

Of course they are not, but if they want to get a share of the Indian market, they have to, that's the big change of Indian foreign procurements of today and the past! Back then we were desperate for anything that was offered to us, because it wasn't much and only Russia and France mainly offered us good stuff. That's when we were in the weak position.
Today we have the biggest defence market in the world, while most other nations are struggeling to develop or procure new arms. Now we have anything on offer, can choose what is the best for us and even determine the conditions! If the vendors fullfil our requirements, they will get a chance for a deal (Rafale/EF, EC Fennec/Kamov 226), if not they will be rejected (F16/F18SH, Bell 406/ S92).

Again, a commercial clause that says TOT and 30-50% of investment back in the country can be construed in many ways. Look at what French are trying to do. If they set up own subsidiary and do a JV with reliance to supply people (like what GE did in China), then the 'value' of staff and infra can very easily reach 50% of total cost and they can still keep IPR (real TOT stuff) with them and charge the manpower and infra at cost plus a small % profit and demand a higher % return for their design from the JV for the french entitý and take the 'real' profits out, without transferring any knowhow, other than process and mechanical assembly designs (and not the IPR of real design envelop basis, component design and selection processes, tolerances designs, loads dynamics and analysis, measurement tools basics blah blah)

So, I am not so confident that this TOT is 'really' what they are making it our to be... example: In one of companies, I worked with, We had sold licences of our products to chinese (with TOT)... Ask them , if they can make the product on their own (even with their reverse engineering skils) ;)... I am really speaking from genuine engineering experience here that engineering knowlege can be transmitted and may be absorbed as well, but R&D philosophy is not transferable in practical terms...

Of course we need own R&D, but first we have to absorb it and that's where we seems to have difficulties in first place, but when that is done in a good way, we can further develop things based on what we learned (Dhruv to Rudra and LCH, Dhruv to HAL LUH, Israeli radar or avionics to). Also own R&D does not mean it has to be a program that results into an operational deployment, a tech demo program improves own R&D capabilities too, while it saves a lot of money because we don't need to develop a fully developed tech and that in high numbers.

Completely agree, but, all the learning about howitzers, plane engines, aerodynamics etc has been with us since we started licence manufacturig Migs... Did we learn from it and improve it? Have we put in infrastructure to mature that technology further? Do we really have developmental programs? I mean, we still buy our ARTI shells from South Africa and haven't learned that and we are talking about internalizing and improving fighter jets (epitome of modern engineering)

We have been now doing SU30MKI engines for few years (under TOT) and let alone developing the design of the engines further, we are still struggling with design of Kaveri and had to buy GE404s... Answer of this is in my point 2... What is TOT? that scope... the devil is there my friend. It is just not the same thing that we think it is.

But ToT only gives you the basics of the current generation, to further develop it to the next generation, you need capable own R&D of course, as explained above. If we would have done the Kaveri developoment right, we would have used the basics HAL learned for producing Russian and western engines and formed a partnership with either Russia or France for a new engine development according to our requirements. That would have given us not only a good engine, but also the knowledge how to develop such a project effectively, but also how to develop a modern engine. Based on this and our own R&D improvements, we should be able in future to do the upgrades alone, so basically one step after the other! Sadly we thought we know it better and messed the whole development up.

but you are just going back to what my basic premise was... We suck at execution of complex projects... I find it hard to believe that we will learn from Kaveri kind of issues... As long as govt companies have no accountability for failures and rewards for successes, we will never move a step in the right direction

You might not agree, but the reality of competition is that success leads to success, but competition is the ultimate leverage tool and we just don't have that leverage for jokers sitting in companies like HAL and non-missile areas of DRDO etc etc

Exactly, but our problem is also that we have only very few government companies, that are basically responsible for anything as explained in my last post. It would be better if we splitt our requirements in the aero field for example to certain parts by HAL (jet aircrafts and helicopters), certain to NAL (prop and transport aircrafts) with privat companies as partners, be it Mahindra, TATA, L&T... Similarly DRDO has way too much things under their responsibility, while fields like armored vehicles and guns should be diverted to other companies, to make them concentrate on radars, missiles...

Yes, decentralization and reprioritization is crucial... But they are meaningful only with accountability. And, accountability in Govt. offices and companies is impossible. That is why US model works best in a democracy. But, more government companies at their salary levels and dark accountability norms is not the answer... We need a much deeper blueprint - starting from funding universities, privatizing (and securing) dark project research, setting priorities, THEN bringing in TOT based competencies and taking it from there, measure successes on 'real' customer orders and fire scientists who don't deliver. Leaders like Kalam should be multi-billionare by now and then you will see the country grow in our defense competence in a 'sustainable' way,

To conclude, I think we are talking the same things in spirit, just different models of implementation. I am an optimist, but our defense establishment has made me water down my expectations and become more of a realist, tilting towards cautiousness... Nothing else... Sorry if the rant was too generic or long... Cheers!

10% stake sale kind of ideas will not cut it. the anatomy of a corporate culture is such that unless control of one entity is diluted significantly and until there are not enough independent directors on the board, the company will never grow

I don't think that the 10% is enough either, but it's one hint that government has understood that something has to change. The problem however is, that everybody thinks government companies are like private companies and would have to grow. That is not the case!
HAL is not aimed on growing and earning money with exports or other buisiness types, that's only a side field. The main aim is to develop and produce arms and techs for Indian forces, according to their requirements. Privat companies on the other hand are not looking at specific requirements of Indian forces, but on what is the most profitable solution. A Dhruv that is useable in high altitude areas and diverse climate conditions is important for Indian forces, but not for other countries and without such requirements, we could even develop and produce it at lower costs.
And when you talk about bank growth, the limitations GoI had put on Indian banks, compared the to their western counterparts, were the only reason why India is one of the very few democracys that wasn't hit much by the global banking crisis in 2008. Most democracys and especially tax payers regret it today, that their governments let the Banks do as they wished, because the result in many nations was that the governments had to bail out the banks with billions of money, because the banks were completely uncontrolled and focused only on their own growth and not the national interest. But that is the point, government companies or banks must have a priority on national interests!

If they set up own subsidiary and do a JV with reliance to supply people (like what GE did in China), then the 'value' of staff and infra can very easily reach 50% of total cost and they can still keep IPR (real TOT stuff) with them and charge the manpower and infra at cost plus a small % profit and demand a higher % return for their design from the JV for the french entitý and take the 'real' profits out, without transferring any knowhow...

That's why it's so important that the ToT is aimed on improving mainly the government companies first, to get critical ToT to those companies that we need for further developments. Indian privat companies again would only look at the profit they can make through this deal, not at the technological benefit India would have for the long term. But again, the problem is, that we have only DRDO and HAL as main companies and both have already too many responsibilities to be effective.

I am really speaking from genuine engineering experience here that engineering knowlege can be transmitted and may be absorbed as well, but R&D philosophy is not transferable in practical terms...
And I fully agree with that, since it also confirms my point of view on Chinese defence industry capabilities today. But they already have a very capable industrial capability to produce things in a very effective and fast way, something that we still lack and that is the base that we still need. We can produce composits and fit it to airframes in big ammounts, but what's the use when we lack in design which causes drag and weight issues at nearly any indigenous aircraft development? So we need to learn the basics of design, R&D and sometimes even simple logical project management. Learning from experience foreign partners during co-developments or even JVs will give us much more in this case, than trying it alone, since it takes simply too long to catch up, while others are already improving.

Take the Scorpene sub as an example, we struggle to absorb the ToT to build the sub in the fast way the French could do it, which is mainly a problem of the shipyard. DCNS itself on the other hand is building parts for the sub in their facility in India without delays and in time. So we can do it, but we still have to learn how to do it the most effective way!

Did we learn from it and improve it? Have we put in infrastructure to mature that technology further? Do we really have developmental programs?

Defenitely not in all fields, but for the aero sector for example we can say we do have improved our knowledge wrt to materials and avionics to a very modern level. We can develop airframe parts and avionics for any modern fighter, helicopter or civil aircraft in India today, that's why HAL, or TATA gets several orders from Airbus, Eurocopter, Boeing, Sikorsky or Agosta Westland.
That's why I still have much confidence in LCA and believe that even MK1 would offer much much more than any Mig 21 version today. It just didn't came up to the high expectations so far and suffered too much from our indigenous industry.

We have been now doing SU30MKI engines for few years (under TOT) and let alone developing the design of the engines further, we are still struggling with design of Kaveri and had to buy GE404s... Answer of this is in my point 2... What is TOT? that scope... the devil is there my friend. It is just not the same thing that we think it is.

Exactly, but that was in the late 90s and one of the first procurements where we got ToT in useful forms at all and now compare what is on offer today! Snecma and Russian manufactures offers us co-developments with critical techs, Eurojet hast offerd us critical techs and joined development of TVC during the LCA engine evaluation, Russia now offers us a co-development of the NG AL 41 engine.
Time has dramatically changed and in favour for us, we went from licence production with limited ToT for Mig 21s, to lincence production with good ToT for MKI, up to co-development offers of western countries with critical techs. We now only have to use it the right way to benefit for future projects.

I find it hard to believe that we will learn from Kaveri kind of issues... As long as govt companies have no accountability for failures

Fully agree with you on that and I am one of the few who constantly criticize DRDO, or ADA and that we cherish them for small improvements, but never take them as responsible for mistakes or even failures. The typical Indian answer to development failures is, politicans are the problem! :frown:

You might not agree, but the reality of competition is that success leads to success, but competition is the ultimate leverage tool and we just don't have that leverage for jokers sitting in companies like HAL and non-missile areas of DRDO etc etc

Not at all, I agree with you that we need competition, but where we differ is the way to it. I don't see private companies as the perfect role models and the only solution for India, because that makes us dependable on them as well (see what Dassault now tries to do). In any indigenous development, government needs to have control about the outcome. That's why I want to make our government companies to improve, while privat companies should assist them in a more valuable way.

To conclude, I think we are talking the same things in spirit, just different models of implementation.

Exactly, there are different ways to take these issues on and that's the main point where we differ, which is not even a problem, because looking at problems from different angles is always helpful.

Back
Top Bottom