What's new

India: Treasure unearthed in Kerala temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many indians kings and rich traders deposit their wealth into temples because they were considered safe due to their sacred status.
This is what attracted Mehmood Ghaznavi to invade various Indian temples to build a rich Afghanistan.

There was a story I read long ago....it is King of Gujrat who invited Mahmood to break the power of chief priest of Somnath temple, who had become so rich and powerful that he had the audacity to insult the royal family.... But I wonder why people did not learn from their mistake...Mahmood attacked Somnath Temple 17 times.... That means people kept on committing same mistake every year instead of using that wealth for defence of state or other purpose......

When my grandfather moved from Rampur to Lahore he found a lot of treasures in his house, the house belonged to a Hindu or Sikh. But my grandfather immediately handed over the treasure to the government :argh: :hitwall:

When my grandfather moved from Rampur to Lahore he found a lot of treasures in his house, the house belonged to a Hindu or Sikh. But my grandfather immediately handed over the treasure to the government :argh: :hitwall:

Bad luck...Pakistan banane ka junoon sawar tha unke dimag me :D......only if he did leave it as it was...........(and ofcourse passing the information to next generation :D)

The King of Travancore is the the owner of it, but it should be confiscated for not paying property taxes since 1947.. :D

Dont speak about inflation hedge....people in Gujrat (Somnath might thought that too...all ended in reaching Gajni).......It is a bad tradition, corrupt practice to accumulate wealth in any religious places and testify how corrupt our priest classes were (they are so even today)....throughout the ages the priest class is opressing the lower classes and themselves becoming wealthy. If government dont take the possession or they dont make a concrete policy to utilise it, I will wish someone like Mahmood to come and loot it....

These wealth were given as offerings to temples....

why don't he tries to find the real owner of that jewellery ?

There was a story I read long ago....it is King of Gujrat who invited Mahmood to break the power of chief priest of Somnath temple, who had become so rich and powerful that he had the audacity to insult the royal family.... But I wasonder why people did not learn from their mistake...Mahmood attacked Somnath Temple 17 times.... That means people kept on committing same mistake every year instead of using that wealth for defence of state or other purpose......

the story you read long ago....was WRONG.

These wealth were given as offerings to temples....

Its not offerings. It was royal wealth associated with the kingdoms.

The royal family decided to give all his wealth to temple and made the Anandhapathmanabhan (vishnu) the ruler of the state, hence the name "God's own country".

Stop posting misinformations.

The royal family decided to give all his wealth to temple and made the Anandhapathmanabhan (vishnu) the ruler of the state, hence the name "God's own country".

Blah Blah....it isn't about your Kerala temple.

Do we have more temples like that???

Kerala toh amir ho geya

This is only guess estimate:

There are at least 1000 temples across India whose wealth vary from few million US $ to more than US $ 25 billion. If we assume an average wealth of US $ 1 billion then the wealth in temples across India could aggregate to roughly US $ 1 trillion.

This would be equal to black money illegally stashed outside India.

In all there is US $ 2 trillion wealth uncounted for which is more than current GDP of India.

What a state of affairs?

why don't he tries to find the real owner of that jewellery ?

I don't know but I think it was pretty obvious the guy wasn't going to come back or maybe the government might have known where he went. It's interesting to know what happened to him and if he has any family. I could go up to their faces and laugh at them for leaving their treasures behind jk jk.

This is only guess estimate:

There are at least 1000 temples across India whose wealth vary from few million US $ to more than US $ 25 billion. If we assume an average wealth of US $ 1 billion then the wealth in temples across India could aggregate to roughly US $ 1 trillion.

This would be equal to black money illegally stashed outside India.

In all there is US $ 2 trillion wealth uncounted for which is more than current GDP of India.

What a state of affairs?

Its sad that there are plenty like you
who sees ancient relics in monetary terms.
If there are politicians thinking back similarly
then by now the treasure is gone. !

"The tax collected from people went into the tax treasury, and the presents, tributes to the Lord and possibly the wealth accumulated by winning battles, went into the temple treasury. 'Mathilakom' (related to the Padmanabhaswamy Temple) documents clearly state that tax treasury was called 'karuvalam' and temple treasury was 'ituveippu'.these may be considered as offerings ..

Indians had the habit of accumulating wealth in religious places instead of using them for public or atleast for the defence of the state. This not only made the places a target for foreighners but made the sacred places corrupted. If any wealth found in any temple , the Indian people are owner of it, and it should be used for them only. Education, health, transportation,irrigation........

No maaaan it should not be used so.

They are the culture man, they are religions.

One poster said if Egypt sells everything in the Pyramids it will be the richest nation, but it not sells. Why ? They are history, culture.

These are our history maan, they must not be selled.

Also Govt not uses Mosque property or church property or gurudwara property .....why only Hindu property ?

If government dont take the possession or they dont make a concrete policy to utilise it, I will wish someone like Mahmood to come and loot it....

Get lost man..We are no more the 9th or 10 th century divided Hindus.We will fight against it unitedly.

Its sad that there are plenty like you
who sees ancient relics in monetary terms.
If there are politicians thinking back similarly
then by now the treasure is gone. !

Sadly a friend from Bangladesh sees sense but not more Indians see it. :tdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom