India to send two astronauts into space in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhushan

Reaction score
Country
India
India to send two astronauts into space in 2016

BANGALORE: India will launch its first manned mission in 2016 with two astronauts for a week-long odyssey in space, a top Indian space agency official said on Wednesday.

"We are planning a human space flight in 2016, with two astronauts who will spend seven days in the earth's lower orbit," Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman K. Radhakrishnan told reporters here.

Space scientists and senior officials of the state-run ISRO are preparing a pre-project report to build the infrastructure and facilities for the mission, estimated to cost a whopping Rs.124 billion ($2.76 billion).

The Planning Commission had in principle approved the human space flight project in February 2009. Its Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia then said more funds would be allocated in two phases during the Eleventh Plan (2007-12) and Twelfth Plan (2012-17).

"We will design and develop the space module for the manned mission in the next four years. Two astronauts will be selected to train for the space flight," Radhakrishnan said on the margins of a space event.

The government had allocated Rs.950 million (Rs.95 crore/$10 million) for pre-project initiatives in 2007-08.

The space agency will set up a full-fledged training facility in this tech hub for training the astronauts and building a third launch pad at its spaceport at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh, about 80 km northeast of Chennai.

"Spacecraft for the proposed manned mission will have extra facilities like entry into crew capsule and an escape chute," the chairman said after releasing a book titled "Moon Mission: Exploring the Moon with Chandrayaan-1".

The book was authored by S.K. Das, former member (finance) of the space department.

To demonstrate its re-entry technology prowess, ISRO had launched in 2007 a 600 kg space capsule recovery experiment (SRE) using the polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV) rocket and was successful in bringing it back to the earth safely 12 days later.

Good news

Why India plans to send 2 astronauts instead of 1 as every other country did.

An engineering model of the Indian space shuttle called “Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstrator” at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram.

5940c71836b0b93a9a2f360067606929.jpg

Interesting pics,the landing process is funny,such sharp should land like an aircraft, using parachute may destroy the spacecraft because the head will land first like your pic.

Last edited:
It will be a great progress in Indian history.
There is no doubt that they will have it done but it is too fast.
I doubt if people wrote the article realy know the space tech...or they are just too happy and cut down timeline?

it seems that india will escape several steps. eg. send animal to space, send one people to space first, test the recycle process...

inida has not done too many sapce aircraft launch (not rockets)
I remember just one plz fresh my memory if wrong, remember it is not a rocket.

China spend about 10 years and 7 space ship launches before it can send 2 people to space at the 8th time. USA spend almost the same number of trials before the successful test of sending 2 people into space.

it is more realistic to say India will test 2 ships every 3 years(it is fast) then after 9 years from today they will launch the 8th space ship and send two astronauts into space.

However this article is better than the other one which said Inida will send people to the moon in 2020 that escaped even more steps.

Last edited:
Interesting pics,the landing process is funny,such sharp should land like an aircraft, using parachute may destroy the spacecraft because the head will land first like your pic.

i think its landing in water(sea) splash type
but i may be wrong

I dont think the pic is incorrect.
It is a space ship entering the atmosphere. not like a plane fly just 30000ft above the land.
I think the pic shows "entering atmosphere" process but not "landing process", the "landing" process will be more like a normal plane.

I doubt if people wrote the article realy know the space tech...or they are just too happy and cut down timeline?

it seems that india will escape several steps. eg. send animal to space, send one people to space first, test the recycle process...

China spend about 10 years and 7 space ship launches before it can send 2 people to space at the 8th time. USA spend almost the same number of trials before the successful test of sending 2 people into space.

it is more realistic to say India will test 2 ships every 3 years(it is fast) then after 9 years from today they will launch the 8th space ship and send two astronauts into space.

However this article is better than the other one which said Inida will send people to the moon in 2020 that escaped even more steps.

apreciatted ur concern
wy?coz there is logic

i am no space expert
but if isro is saying then tey must have something up ther sleevs but it might get delayed

it is landing in water indeed. the last step is mentioned as "splash down"

Brother,

Correct me if I'm wrong, No country in the world has reached the Moon in its first launch. But India's Chandrayan has landed moon in its maiden flight.:smitten:

The elite countries who have reached the Moon has wasted their time and resources but India discovered water on the Moon in its very first Moon Mission.:yahoo:

I know you are doing hidden talks, you want to suggest that we are able to send our people in Space only because of the help of Russia.

But, it is not like this we are fully capable of it. Our all other defense organizations are suffering because of bureaucracy and the Indian private sector is not allowed by the government but the ISRO is different.

Brother,

Correct me if I'm wrong, No country in the world has reached the Moon in its first launch. But India's Chandrayan has landed moon in its maiden flight.:smitten:

The elite countries who have reached the Moon has wasted their time and resources but India discovered water on the Moon in its very first Moon Mission.:yahoo:

I know you are doing hidden talks, you want to suggest that we are able to send our people in Space only because of the help of Russia.

But, it is not like this we are fully capable of it. Our all other defense organizations are suffering because of bureaucracy and the Indian private sector is not allowed by the government but the ISRO is different.

Don't make good posters mad. There nothing wrong in what zz5168 has said. We have so far launched only one space capsule. We are noway near in achieving a manned space mission.

China and Japan made successful moon missions in their first attempt itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom