eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Rail-link between Tripura-Chittagong proposed - bdnews24.com

Rail-link between Tripura-Chittagong proposed
Samir Purkyastha, Kolkata, bdnews24.com
Published: 12 Sep 2013 15:09 BdST Updated: 12 Sep 2013 15:09 BdST

Indian Railways has drawn an ambitious plan to connect the country’s north-east region with neighbouring Bangladesh and Myanmar.

North East Frontier Railway, one of the 16 zones of the Indian Railways, which oversee the railway operation in the remote northeast, has already prepared a master plan for the projects.

The project will be in addition to the proposed railway link between Agartala in India with Akhaura in Bangladesh as per the bilateral agreements during the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh visit to Dhaka in 2011.

According to NFR officials, formalities have been completed for issuing work order to Ircon International Ltd to lay the railway tracks between Agartala and Akhaura.

The new proposal is to link Belonia in Tripura with Bangladesh’s port city of Chittagong.

A top NFR official at its headquarters in Maligaon, Guwahati told the bdnews24.com that funds have already been sanctioned for a feasibility study.

This is as part of the government’s decision to increase connectivity and trade with neighbouring countries, particularly Bangladesh.

“Not only is trade between the two countries increasing, more and more Indian companies are showing keen interest to invest in various segments and joint sector ventures in Bangladesh," Indian high commissioner to Dhaka Pankaj Saran had told media while visiting India-Bangladesh check post at Akhura on Wednesday.

The further growth of bilateral trade would require better connectivity, particularly through rail-links, says Bijoy Gupta of Assam Chamber of Commerce.

Bangladesh had exported goods worth $562 million to India in the last fiscal (2012-13).

The NFR official said a similar feasibility study of a proposed railway projects connecting Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram with Myanmar has already started.

According to the plan, a 252-km railway track would be laid between Jawharnagar, the headquarters of Dhalai district in Tripura, and Darlong city of Myanmar through Kolasib in Mizoram.

"In the first phase, survey of the 109-km railway line between Jawharnagar and Kolashib has already started. In the next-phase the remaining 148-km track, between Kolasib and Darlong, will be surveyed. If all goes well, track-laying would begin in the next few years," the official said.

Survey of the route from Jiribam to Moreh and then to Tamu in Myanmar via Imphal is expected to be completed by next March, he said, adding survey for the route connecting Aizawl and Myanmar from Sairang covering 226 km has already started.

Can anyone tell me what are the major items traded between both the countries?

The NFR official said a similar feasibility study of a proposed railway projects connecting Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram with Myanmar has already started.

According to the plan, a 252-km railway track would be laid between Jawharnagar, the headquarters of Dhalai district in Tripura, and Darlong city of Myanmar through Kolasib in Mizoram.

"In the first phase, survey of the 109-km railway line between Jawharnagar and Kolashib has already started. In the next-phase the remaining 148-km track, between Kolasib and Darlong, will be surveyed. If all goes well, track-laying would begin in the next few years," the official said.

Survey of the route from Jiribam to Moreh and then to Tamu in Myanmar via Imphal is expected to be completed by next March, he said, adding survey for the route connecting Aizawl and Myanmar from Sairang covering 226 km has already started.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...chittagong-rail-connection.html#ixzz2egAYUUyX

Since Myanmar is a friend of India, therefore, India should stick with that friendship. BD people are disgusted with Indian overtures. It should be left alone. Indian greedy hands, however, made sure to raise the unpopularity of AL and its leaders.

Thank you, India.

I dont know what has happened to these bangladeshis all the time , i think they have forgotten taking pills .

India is an exceptionally shameless country. BD did every possible thing for India. It gave transit for heavy machines for Tapiala power plant in Tripura. Now, it is giving transit through Ashuganj. BD has handed over the ULFA rebels.

In reciprocity India withheld Teesta water and shied away from passing the LBA in its Parliament. Indian govt blames BJP for this. But, we know it is all a conspiracy by all the parties in India, because it serves the Indian interest best if LBA is not signed.

Now, India is coming up with another 'Mamar Barir Abdar,' that is asking us to provide rail link with its Tripura. I thought India was spending trillions of dollars to build a port in Sittwe of Burma. Why it does not ask its eternal friend Burma to commission that port?

People should vote down the naive AL in the next election so that we do not have to sign deals without a reciprocity. However, India seems to be in a hurry to sign a deal or at least a MoU before the election.

As far as I understand, a BNP govt will just give a go ahead to this railway transit and blame AL squarely for it, but will not block or re-negotiate with India except that it will make a little hue and cry only to appease its voters. Well, this is politics.

India is an exceptionally shameless country. BD did every possible thing for India. It gave transit for heavy machines for Tapiala power plant in Tripura. Now, it is giving transit through Ashuganj. BD has handed over the ULFA rebels.

In reciprocity India withheld Teesta water and shied away from passing the LBA in its Parliament. Indian govt blames BJP for this. But, we know it is all a conspiracy by all the parties in India, because it serves the Indian interest best if LBA is not signed.

Now, India is coming up with another 'Mamar Barir Abdar,' that is asking us to provide rail link with its Tripura. I thought India was spending trillions of dollars to build a port in Sittwe of Burma. Why it does not ask its eternal friend Burma to commission that port?

People should vote down the naive AL in the next election so that we do not have to sign deals without a reciprocity. However, India seems to be in a hurry to sign a deal or at least a MoU before the election.

As far as I understand, a BNP govt will just give a go ahead to this railway transit and blame AL squarely for it, but will not block or re-negotiate with India except that it will make a little hue and cry only to appease its voters. Well, this is politics.

Bangladeshis will cry over Indians dams on tiny rivers but won't criticize Chinese dams on Brahmaputra and still desire for railway connection with Myanmar after news of Rohingyas atrocities in Myanmar.

This is a part of the grand Chanakyan plan of recapturing CHT. :devil:

Are you kidding me? Worst move/decision ever if it goes through...

Looks like more illegal pole-vaulting (now train-riding) Bangladeshis in India :cry:

Now, India is coming up with another 'Mamar Barir Abdar,' that is asking us to provide rail link with its Tripura....

No India is not asking you for $hit, this is a stupid Congress ISalmic party which is doing this which has no connection with actual indians. Blow up that train if you have to, but please keep your illegal BDeshis in your own country.... we are in no more mood to take in more muslims...

Bangladeshis will cry over Indians dams on tiny rivers but won't criticize Chinese dams on Brahmaputra and still desire for railway connection with Myanmar after news of Rohingyas atrocities in Myanmar.

Chinese dams cannot hurt BD because China will take away only the excess flood water away. How can this hurt us when we need water more in winter than in summer.

Can anyone tell me what are the major items traded between both the countries?
many industrial goods Bangladesh is trading.......
i was in Chittagong 4 year ,was working with kycr steel, still my Indian friend are working in Chittagong
for industries goods right from rolling oil,steel roll ,hydraulic oil,machine spare part etc many thing import direct from India
in Bangladesh many Indian expat are still working,actually in PDF Bangladeshi people show hatred feeling.....reality is just is different..........majority like Indian and respect them......i thoroughly enjoy my stay in Bangladesh....it was not for small period ,pretty long 4 year

i my view ,it is good move.....we should further make our relation strong.....

hardly bother to me what Bangladeshi pdf member think.........because i know reality........i also like them

Back
Top Bottom