What's new

India to open yoga centre in China

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
India to open yoga centre in China - The Hindu

The Indian government is planning to open up a first-ever yoga resource centre in China as part of a new move to capitalise on the fast-growing popularity of yoga in a country where there are an estimated several hundred thousand practitioners.

On Saturday, Beijing hosted a first-ever yoga festival, with an expected 5,000 Chinese set to take part in four days of workshops, covering everything from breathing exercises and specific asanas to meditation lessons.

With a rapidly growing following for yoga in China – almost every major city now has several yoga centres – India is hoping to more clearly link the widening interest in yoga to Indian traditions.

“For many Chinese, yoga first came here in some ways as an American export, people saw celebrities like Madonna doing yoga and then started getting an interest,” said Yin Yan, who founded YogiYoga, China’s biggest yoga teaching centre, which holds classes in 57 cities and has trained more than 15,000 Chinese as yoga teachers.

Ms. Yin said what was often missing in many Chinese yoga classes was the “meditative” aspect. “yoga is not just a physical exercise, so what we are trying to do is give Chinese an authentic learning experience,” said Ms. Yin, who runs YogiYoga along with her husband Manmohan Singh Bhandari, a yoga teacher from Rishikesh.

The Indian government is hoping to play a role in that exercise, starting with bringing renowned teachers from India to visit yoga centres in Beijing.

This week, the Health Ministry’s Department of Ayush (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) arranged for two teachers from the Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga and one expert from the Central Council for Research in Yoga & Naturopathy to hold workshops as part of the four-day Beijing festival.

Ambassador Ashok Kantha, who launched the yoga festival, said the idea was “to engage in a dialogue that will help disperse all the doubts of the practitioners and helping them align with the roots of this ancient Indian practice” and “popularise yoga in China with Indian traditions”.

Yoga teachers such as B.K.S. Iyengar – whose books have been translated into Mandarin and sold tens of thousands of copies – have wide following here. Mr. Iyengar told The Hindu during a visit to Beijing that he saw China as a future home for yoga. When he travelled to Guangzhou to give a lecture, he was stunned to find that organisers had rented out a stadium – more than 1,300 students had come to listen to him.

Ayush is planning to open a resource centre at the Indian Embassy in Beijing, which will liaise with Chinese yoga centres such as YogiYoga, arrange for Indian yoga teachers to visit and provide resources on teaching yoga and on Ayurveda

India to open yoga centre in China - The Hindu

The Indian government is planning to open up a first-ever yoga resource centre in China as part of a new move to capitalise on the fast-growing popularity of yoga in a country where there are an estimated several hundred thousand practitioners.

On Saturday, Beijing hosted a first-ever yoga festival, with an expected 5,000 Chinese set to take part in four days of workshops, covering everything from breathing exercises and specific asanas to meditation lessons.

With a rapidly growing following for yoga in China – almost every major city now has several yoga centres – India is hoping to more clearly link the widening interest in yoga to Indian traditions.

“For many Chinese, yoga first came here in some ways as an American export, people saw celebrities like Madonna doing yoga and then started getting an interest,” said Yin Yan, who founded YogiYoga, China’s biggest yoga teaching centre, which holds classes in 57 cities and has trained more than 15,000 Chinese as yoga teachers.

Ms. Yin said what was often missing in many Chinese yoga classes was the “meditative” aspect. “yoga is not just a physical exercise, so what we are trying to do is give Chinese an authentic learning experience,” said Ms. Yin, who runs YogiYoga along with her husband Manmohan Singh Bhandari, a yoga teacher from Rishikesh.

The Indian government is hoping to play a role in that exercise, starting with bringing renowned teachers from India to visit yoga centres in Beijing.

This week, the Health Ministry’s Department of Ayush (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) arranged for two teachers from the Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga and one expert from the Central Council for Research in Yoga & Naturopathy to hold workshops as part of the four-day Beijing festival.

Ambassador Ashok Kantha, who launched the yoga festival, said the idea was “to engage in a dialogue that will help disperse all the doubts of the practitioners and helping them align with the roots of this ancient Indian practice” and “popularise yoga in China with Indian traditions”.

Yoga teachers such as B.K.S. Iyengar – whose books have been translated into Mandarin and sold tens of thousands of copies – have wide following here. Mr. Iyengar told The Hindu during a visit to Beijing that he saw China as a future home for yoga. When he travelled to Guangzhou to give a lecture, he was stunned to find that organisers had rented out a stadium – more than 1,300 students had come to listen to him.

Ayush is planning to open a resource centre at the Indian Embassy in Beijing, which will liaise with Chinese yoga centres such as YogiYoga, arrange for Indian yoga teachers to visit and provide resources on teaching yoga and on Ayurveda

Great step
Will help to Increase people to people ties btw China & India :enjoy:

Can you do yoga? You can teach them. :D:D

Yes, especially some female white-collar workers.
Well i can do some yoga postures, but some are very tough postures, :Dmostly i am into prayanama ( breathing and assimilation of the life force) and meditation.
I had a chinese gf who was a doctor she was doing yoga in gym, that's how i can to know that yoga in china was popular.
I like Tai chi used to watch people do it every morning in china.
yoga is not about postures and exercises but about enlightenment and knowledge. :)
Initially it might look like its about being healthy,flexible and well being of body, but later on you will realize there are many things to discover besides being healthy :D

Last edited:
Well i can do some yoga postures, but some are very tough postures, :Dmostly i am into prayanama ( breathing and assimilation of the life force) and meditation.
I had a chinese gf who was a doctor she was doing yoga in gym, that's how i can to know that yoga in china was popular.
I like Tai chi used to watch people do it every morning in china.
yoga is not about postures and exercises but about enlightenment and knowledge. :)
Initially it might look like its about being healthy,flexible and well being of body, but later on you will realize there are many things to discover besides being healthy :D

HAD. She dumped you or you dumped her? HAHA.

Ii think Taichi and Yoga has many similarities, they are both good for health, and both slow movement, people from all age can do it. Yoga should be trained at an early age, right?

Ii think Taichi and Yoga has many similarities, they are both good for health, and both slow movement, people from all age can do it. Yoga should be trained at an early age, right?

Yoga can be learned at any age.

Itz more mental than physical.

yoga level ranges from 1-10

most people reach a level of 5 at the best.(or what is taught in foreign yoga schools)

Yoga can be learned at any age.

Itz more mental than physical.

yoga level ranges from 1-10

most people reach a level of 5 at the best.(or what is taught in foreign yoga schools)

Good, thanks for enlightening. Yeah, I agree, the mental is real, the meditation.

.,Let's just say friends with benefits nothing more although she was in a live in relation with me :)
Not much involved, no dumpings :D We just moved on, still now we are good friends.
Yes i agree Tai Chi and yoga has many similarities,the visualization of energy and using that energy we do it in Pranayama (Breathing life force),that is why i keenly used to watch people practise Tai chi.
Yoga if trained at early age is good, because it makes you very flexible and conditions your mind better, but that doesn't mean only the most flexible and acrobatic ones are good yoga masters.
The ultimate goal of Yoga is enlightenment,wisdom.
Yoga postures help to make your mind concentrate better and realize your true inner potential.
The main goal of Yoga is to make your mind clear and concentrate better.
To be your best at all times.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom