What's new

India To Launch its $35 Tablet on October 5th

Reaction score
Country
India
India To Launch its $35 Tablet on October 5th​

Speaking at an awards ceremony for Technology in Education, Kapil Sibal, the communications and information technology minister, announced that the long-anticipated $35 dollar tablet computer would launch sometime in October.

The Times of India cites ministry officials as specifying an October 5th launch date. I’m still a little skeptical because of earlier media reports back in June about an impending launch for the tablet, so at this point I’ll really believe it when I see it. But Mr. Sibal this time assured that in October “the doubting Toms finally realize that this was not just a dream.”

He also mentioned that the tablet has been given a name, but he declined to reveal it. Previous reports dubbed it the ‘Sakshat,’ though there is no indication that it retains that moniker. You can check out a couple of videos here and here that give a closer look at the Android prototype.

Regardless of when it becomes available, it’s important to remember the vision that it represents for education in India. To learn more about that, check out the video below to hear Minister Sibal express his thoughts on what such a device could mean for the country.

India To Launch its $35 Tablet on October 5th [REPORT] | Tech in Asia

---------------------------------------------------

Early take on India's $35 tablet: 'Fairly impressive'​

Remember that $35 tablet out of India we told you about last month? If you want to see the much-talked-about prototype in moving color, a gadget show on Indian television just featured an exclusive hands-on that could help dissipate some of the skepticism about the device.

"Everybody actually said, 'It cannot happen, a $35 tablet,' and not only does it exist, it works and it works brilliantly," said Rajiv Makhni, co-host of the show "Gadget Guru," who took the computer through its paces with show cohort Vikram Chandra and then talked all aspects of the gadget with Kapil Sibal, the country's Minister for Human Resource Development and the same guy who officially unveiled the super-cheap touch-screen device. Aimed at the country's students, it's being called India's answer to Nicholas Negroponte's famed OLPC laptop.

While originally presented as a Linux device, the prototype on the show runs on Android (and handles the operating system "fairly smoothly," the surprised Gurus say). It has a virtual keyboard, camera, full video capability, Wi-Fi for browsing that the Gurus found to be "simple and quick," an e-reader, and 2GB RAM. They say the touch screen is a bit slow to respond. All in all, though, they call it a "fairly impressive little package," particularly for the price, and a game changer for India and possibly beyond.

"We really didn't think it would be as functional as we have found it be," Chandra said.

The tablet is part of a larger initiative aimed at improving India's educational system through technology. It will originally be delivered by mid-2011, subsidized, to higher-education institutions for the estimated $35, Sibal said. (He acknowledged that it will surely cost more at retail.)

Early take on India's $35 tablet: 'Fairly impressive' | Crave - CNET

Okay. This is going to sound insensitive and I don't mean to rub your face in it in anyway but......It is still expensive for Indians...Sorry sorry just stating a painful fact for all of us.

Okay. This is going to sound insensitive and I don't mean to rub your face in it in anyway but......It is still expensive for Indians...Sorry sorry just stating a painful fact for all of us.

1500 INR is not expensive at all.

i am presuming that it will be using android. Will it be exported(Pakistan).

35$ awsum ...im supporting it by buying it the first day

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

If the demand is made ...im 100% sure it will be.

Aren't there enough tablets released ? just saying.....
Well thats tru but ...our Electronics and semiconductor industries need a ingenious consumer boost.
THis will bring twitter and Face book to the masses ...(tho i hope its powerful enough to not hang all the time unlike many renowned brands)

and no firmware please........ android is always good.

sorry id like to state another actual fact .....im really really sowyyyy... But ur spewing Bull S***T
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering 35 X 46 = 1610.
Thats cheaper than the cheap mobile phones out here ..

You are right it's based on android os, but it's not a commercial product as it is meant to distribute in indian school's.

Even to the Indian public?

Of course and rightly so.

Your and mine financial situation is not the same as that of a child in a village in Maharashta or Andhra.

The govt. has to and should recover the cost from those who can afford and are willing to bear it.

I won't mnd spending $50 more if I know that that money will be used to finance the tablet for a poor child.

oh this is also insensitive
saudi's are the least technical guys on the world ,very brain less.....btw
indians just made a hypersonic missile which is alien to saudis
and there also a tablet made by indian called adam its price $350..
lol atleast can these saudi's make a mobile phone? Atleast a 1940 war plane? Atleast a motor bike or atleast saudis make a mouse for computers?
or atleast can you make underwear and export it?
You people live on oil :rofl:
sorry sorry i might have been insensitive

Back
Top Bottom