What's new

India to Induct 4th Regiment of BrahMos Cruise Missiles in 2 Weeks

Only for testing. And why would one be testing there in Car Nic? One does need to wonder. I know of one test there wherein K-4 was tested concomitantly last April. That's it.

The only operational Brahmos there are ship borne naval ones that too when ships are transiting. Brahmos is useless based there
True (as far as the ground mobile Brahmos TELs are concerned) but I heard something interesting recently about subterranean (immobile obviously) Brahmos sites and the A&N islands. Anyone who is following developments with the ANC should know that in the last 20 months this command/site has gained renewed signifcance and there is massive work going on down there.

True (as far as the ground mobile Brahmos TELs are concerned) but I heard something interesting recently about subterranean (immobile obviously) Brahmos sites and the A&N islands. Anyone who is following developments with the ANC should know that in the last 20 months this command/site has gained renewed signifcance and there is massive work going on down there.

Wont be knowing that right now. Nothing related to Brahmos though. The subterranean work in India is not new. Been around for about 15 years now ..... part of SFC since 2001

Only for testing. And why would one be testing there in Car Nic? One does need to wonder. I know of one test there wherein K-4 was tested concomitantly last April. That's it.

The only operational Brahmos there are ship borne naval ones that too when ships are transiting. Brahmos is useless based there

I think in future they've planned to deploy it there or why else the test fire Brahmos in island

What will Brahmos with limited range achieve there? Read my earlier post, K-4 was concomitantly tested. That's all.

It can work as a anti ship missile from a&n islands... 300 km is a good range from the island over looking straights of malaka..

It can work as a anti ship missile from a&n islands... 300 km is a good range from the island over looking straights of malaka..

Okayyyyyy enough with using Brahmos from ANC. They are not yet listening to your or my view point ..... what will we do with the Kh-35UEs, Harpoon Block 2s which are sufficient and cost less than Brahmos???

What will Brahmos with limited range achieve there? Read my earlier post, K-4 was concomitantly tested. That's all.

The Range varies with the flight profile it takes to reach the target. Lo-Lo-Lo will have less range than Hi-LO-LO or HI-HI-lo, and 300 KM is the MTCR range, which the signatory have to follow, which is Russia.

The Range varies with the flight profile it takes to reach the target. Lo-Lo-Lo will have less range than Hi-LO-LO or HI-HI-lo, and 300 KM is the MTCR range, which the signatory have to follow, which is Russia.

thanks???? Not Brahmos there on land based silos/TELs still

Indian navy operates MMCB.. I.e. mobile missile coastal battery... Which is an anti ship missile .. Of which I think presently P21 is used ..
Brahmos has the capability to replace that missile in this role...
This gives navy flexibility to deploy them... They are usually self sufficient expect rationing of food and FOL.
The MMCB is one of the defensive strategy IN has for defending bases from sea based attacks ... It act as deterrents again shelling from ships and from amphibious ops.

Also missile coastal battery will replace Naval coastal battery (based on 105 mm guns earlier) in time...
So you can't just exclude that IN don't have any role for land based Brahmos...

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA

Indian navy operates MMCB.. I.e. mobile missile coastal battery... Which is an anti ship missile .. Of which I think presently P21 is used ..

P-15 Termit, it is. RFI for 15 MMCB has been issued recently. I see a nevala!!!

Brahmos has the capability to replace that missile in this role...
This gives navy flexibility to deploy them... They are usually self sufficient expect rationing of food and FOL.
The MMCB is one of the defensive strategy IN has for defending bases from sea based attacks ... It act as deterrents again shelling from ships and from amphibious ops.

Also missile coastal battery will replace Naval coastal battery (based on 105 mm guns earlier) in time...
So you can't just exclude that IN don't have any role for land based Brahmos...

And why would GoI give you a missile of $ 2.7 million US per unit cost (as per open sources) when it has ample options at lower costs (eg KH-35UE at $ 500000 US as per open sources) seeing the immediate threats in that area .... you have P-8I with Harpoon Block 2 running around there just to name one efficient platform.

One can argue the suitability of even Nirbhay in the role, of K-4 also. They are also capable enough, but you seriously need to think why would anyone in their right mind place a cruise missile with higher unit costs for this specific role in Andamans? And where is your amphibious attack coming from in Andamans? Coco Islands?

For arguments sake one can carry on .... as of today ..... there are no Brahmos there for deployment! The missiles which were tested were airlifted by strategic lifters and taken there ..... the TELs going by sea.

Brahmos-2 with ~1000 km range - granted.

P-15 Termit, it is. RFI for 15 MMCB has been issued recently. I see a nevala!!!

And why would GoI give you a missile of $ 2.7 million US per unit cost (as per open sources) when it has ample options at lower costs (eg KH-35UE at $ 500000 US as per open sources) seeing the immediate threats in that area .... you have P-8I with Harpoon Block 2 running around there just to name one efficient platform.

One can argue the suitability of even Nirbhay in the role, of K-4 also. They are also capable enough, but you seriously need to think why would anyone in their right mind place a cruise missile with higher unit costs for this specific role in Andamans? And where is your amphibious attack coming from in Andamans? Coco Islands?

For arguments sake one can carry on .... as of today ..... there are no Brahmos there for deployment! The missiles which were tested were airlifted by strategic lifters and taken there ..... the TELs going by sea.

Brahmos-2 with ~1000 km range - granted.

What I had meant is not only for andamans... Brahmos as MMCB can be used in Gujarat coast too...
Also amphibious at A&N is a possibility in indo china war if it occurs.. (And it's a abig if)..
U can't just rely on P8I ..it's a good platform from Anti ship role but it's needed more for ASW role...

Lastly... When India has Brahmos as MII.. And it's better than K35 UE...

And again I an saying we all are just presuming... So you just can't brush away that Brahmos can't be deployed by IN at A&N... The possibility may be low but yet it's there...

And yes... Things will change with brahmos-2 definitely...

Also... As an example... After 1965 shelling of dwarka by pak navy.... We never had any action by pak surface ships anywhere near Indian coastline/ports but yet we keep MMCB and IN has raised RFI for 15 MMCB... That means it's has some place in their doctrine...

Kh35 or harpoon or say Klub may have better chance at getting through this tender ..but Brahmos is a possibility....
We can't just brush it away.
Thx

What I had meant is not only for andamans... Brahmos as MMCB can be used in Gujarat coast too...

The issue here was that my posts were based on a point mentioning deployment of Brahmos at Andamans, which is neither in the pipeline nor of any significance right now. Your above post is a tangential course ..... when you quoted me, you quoted me speaking specific to Andamans as of today.

Also amphibious at A&N is a possibility in indo china war if it occurs.. (And it's a abig if)..
U can't just rely on P8I ..it's a good platform from Anti ship role but it's needed more for ASW role...

Amphibious role in A&N in case of China? Where is their Launchpad for offensive operations in that region? Coco Islands? Seriously? There are other assets, as you may be aware. If I mention one as an example ... just don't latch onto that.

Lastly... When India has Brahmos as MII.. And it's better than K35 UE...

And again I an saying we all are just presuming... So you just can't brush away that Brahmos can't be deployed by IN at A&N... The possibility may be low but yet it's there...

When it is specific to deployment presently there - yes I can not only brush it, I can bin it, zip it and bury it. I did concede you can deploy even Nirbhay there in anti-ship role. Even Agni 3 for that matter, Akash too can manage a few hits if you want .... it is totally dependent on cost vs benefit deployment which obviously one can forget in any theoretical discussion .....

Kh35 or harpoon or say Klub may have better chance at getting through this tender ..but Brahmos is a possibility....
We can't just brush it away.
Thx

Theoretically one cant brush even Agni 5 in the role ... but factually and seeing the pattern of Brahmos acquisition presently and the future deployment plans, one can safely put it into the cold storage for some time.

In case nobody noticed, the news says Brahmos carries 660 pounds of conversational warheads. Not nuclear.
Indian claims of having a nuclear armed cruise mussle proved to be a lie.

Back
Top Bottom