What's new

India to get mine-resistant vehicles

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
India
In a bid to avoid a Sukma like disaster — where 16 paramilitary security personnel were killed in a Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh — the government has decided to approach Washington to purchase state-of-the-art mine resistant ambush protected (MRAP) vehicles, which the US forces will leave behind in Afghanistan after they pull-out of the country this year.

The spadework for the acquisition has already begun through the foreign military sales route with Pentagon inclined to sell “excess defence articles” to India rather than be captured by Taliban forces after the drawdown.

While South Block has asked its officials to prepare for the specifications of the MRAPs, there are five categories of some 3,800 vehicles currently in Afghanistan. Called Cougar or Buffalo, these more than 14-tonne vehicles with V-shaped hulls, have minimised the US forces casualties in improvised explosive device blasts and ambush, both in Iraq and Afghanistan.

US has given some 20 such vehicles to Pakistan under the coalition support programme. The V-shaped hulls that can deflect blasts from more than 150 kg IEDs — routinely used by Indian Maoists — have a six-inch thick bullet-proof glass, can run on flat tires and have a maximum speed of up to 100 kmph.

“The Americans first offered the MRAPs to defence ministry some years ago without avail. This time the request has come from home ministry as these vehicles will help in transportation of troops as well as improve patrolling on the main highways in south Chhattisgarh,” said a senior ministry of external affairs official.

Although the casualties in the Tongpal ambush were partly due to violation of standard operating procedures by the security forces and in spite of actionable intelligence, it was decided at a high-level meeting chaired by Union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde that troopers needed extra protection with Maoists using planned attacks and area weapons. It was then that the MEA was alerted to approach Pentagon for sale of MRAPs under the bilateral Homeland Security programme.

Wait what? We already have vehicles built by TATA for this job that the army uses. Why do we need MRAPS for the CRPF and other parliamentary forces

khocha tm ko to pora MRAP+Ghauri Missle deti he....le gi kya....:frown:...BTW check song...
not a say one but still okay...

Miyaan - I meant mileage kitna deti hai?. i am sure those MRAP's are a big time fuel guzzlers.

We won't take them. We have indigenous alternatives, or we can buy first-hand with ToT.

Give them to our neighbour, they are in need of donations.

:o:i am not gay man.... :mad:...only if you were a girl...:smitten:

download.jpg

Wait what? We already have vehicles built by TATA for this job that the army uses. Why do we need MRAPS for the CRPF and other parliamentary forces
da!..to stop it being ending up in pakistani hands.
its a plan B, if plan A of afgahn govt cries fails.
its imperative that pakistan dont get them, otherwise how would they continue their proxy war.

lastly, i dont understand why should pak army be obsessed with those. cant they buy some made in HIT?

da!..to stop it being ending up in pakistani hands.
its a plan B, if plan A of afgahn govt cries fails.
its imperative that pakistan dont get them, otherwise how would they continue their proxy war.

lastly, i dont understand why should pak army be obsessed with those. cant they buy some made in HIT?

They can but are they good enough ?

28jyc7.jpg

34106d1381733427-pakistan-army-chief-rejects-taliban-offer-talks-conditions-2a9865y.png

^^ Burraq MRAP made by HIT.

It looks cheap & weak compared to those mine-protected vehicles made in India by Tata Motors or anyone else :

Tata-LAMV-Light-Armoured-Mobility-Vehicle-pic-1.jpg

And US has far more experience in making Mine-resistance troop vehicles than India. So it's obvious
Pak drooling over them even if they're 2nd hand and littered by Afghanistanis all over. I'd take those
over anything made by HIT, anyday.

We won't take them. We have indigenous alternatives, or we can buy first-hand with ToT.

Give them to our neighbour, they are in need of donations.
Pragmatism. A few bonuses these US MRAPs offer. Number 1- price. They will be sold to India dirt cheap, we are talking less than 1/20th of the showroom price with still plenty of life left in then. S.Korea bought 2000 of these $2 million dollar for around $80,000 apiece.

Number 2- almost instant delivery of a proven machine that does exactly what you need. There is clearly a demand for such Machines in the fight agaisnt the Naxals as has been proven. Even in Dantawala where 76 CRPF personnel died hey were travelling in the OFB MRAPs and those backward things did little to protect their occupants. These US MRAPs are state of the art and will perform exceptionally well have no doubt.

Yes there are Indian offerings but the trouble is they would have to pass intensive user trails in order to be cleared for service with the CAPFs this would take more than a year and that's a year gifted to the enemy.

With these US MRAPs the CAPFs can take the fight to the enemy with little to worry about they can go deep in enemy terrain and be confident they'll come out unscathed with these MRAPs.

These US MRAPs truly are the best machines available on the market no matter what Indian companies will say.

Very sensible decision by the GoI and I am very happy to see them doing something as pragmatic as this.

This will only aid the fight against the Naxal scum.

Back
Top Bottom