What's new

India to conduct first test of PDV Prithvi Defence Vehicle in January 2014

vivINDIAN

Reaction score
Country
India
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India is on the way to conduct the first test of its newly developed interceptor missile from a defence base off the Odisha coast in January 2014. The missile, dubbed as Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV), has the potential to destroy enemy missile with a strike range of around 2,500 km outside the earth’s atmosphere (at an altitude of over 150 km). Only a few countries in the world have such a capability.

AAD_Advanced_Air_Defence_interceptor_missile_DRDO_India_Indian_defense_industry_military_technology_640_001.jpg

The Advanced Air Defence (AAD) interceptor missile also has destroyed the target missile at an altitude of 15 to 30 km.

The air defence exercise, a part of India’s Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) programme, would involve two missiles - the interceptor and enemy missile. Both the missiles have been developed for the first time and will be programmed at separate locations in Chandipur and Wheeler Island.
A reliable source said while the enemy missile would be fired from a Naval warship in the Bay of Bengal, the interceptor would be launched from the launching complex-IV at Wheeler Island. “The test is likely to be conducted in January,” it said.
Earlier, the DRDO had successfully test-fired exo-atmospheric (outside the atmosphere) and endo-atmospheric (within the atmosphere) interceptor ballistic missiles.
Of the seven interceptor missile tests, six have been successful. While two were in exo-atmosphere region, five took place in endo-atmosphere (below an altitude of 50 km).

“Programme Air Defence (PAD) interceptor missile has already demonstrated its killing capability at an altitude of 50 to 80 km. The Advanced Air Defence (AAD) interceptor missile also has destroyed the target missile at an altitude of 15 to 30 km. Now we want to achieve the interception altitude of over 150 km,” a defence scientist said.

The two-stage PDV interceptor will be powered by solid propellants and fitted to an innovative system for controlling the vehicle at an altitude of more than 150 km. The PDV interceptor is expected to replace the PAD interceptor.

While the 350-km range Prithvi-II ballistic missile is slated for test on December 3, Agni-III missile, with a range of 3,000-km, is scheduled for test on December 18.
Defense Industry India to conduct first test of PDV Prithvi Defence Vehicle in January 2014 3011132Â -Â Army Recognition

Once successful, our cities will have 3 layered protection against 2500KM range missiles. Next phase under development is for 5000 KM range missile.

the article is confusing.

what missile are we using exactly as interceptor?

it states solid propellant so it could be prahaar or pragati or something new?

the other clarification I need is whether it will be mobile like s-series?
if yes then how many missiles per laundbher?

Why is it confusing ? The article clearly says the Missile is a new class called Prithvi Defense Vehicle. (PDV)

Advanced Air Defence or AAD and Advanced Air Defence or PDV forms the Two Tier missiles defense system that India is putting in place.

This is an evolution over PAD or Prithvi Air Defence which was successfully test fired in November 2006 and again on March 2009. PAD had an intertial navigation system with mid-course updates from LRTR (swordfish) and active radar homing in the terminal phase along with a gimbaled directional warhead.

BTW LRTR is a active phased array radar having capability to track 200 targets at a range of 600 km :D

The next step in evolution is the PDV. The PDV will carry a new Indian electro-optic seeker, to work in tandem with the radio frequency seeker the PAD has traditionally carried. An electro-optic seeker provides greater accuracy and reliability than a radio frequency seeker in homing the interceptor on to the target.

Last edited:

Most probably a solid fuelled two stage Prithvi missile .

For that , you will have to wait for more news to emerge .

Why is it confusing ? The article clearly says the Missile is a new class called Prithvi Defense Vehicle. (PDV)

Advanced Air Defence or AAD and Advanced Air Defence or PDV forms the Two Tier missiles defense system that India is putting in place.
pdv is the acronym of whole system

I want specifics on missile only

I doubt they created a new missile.otherwise it would be mentioned

cannot be prithvi as its liquid fuelled

must be prahaar or pragati

This is an evolution over PAD or Prithvi Air Defence which was successfully test fired in November 2006 and again on March 2009. PAD had an intertial navigation system with mid-course updates from LRTR (swordfish) and active radar homing in the terminal phase along with a gimbaled directional warhead.

BTW LRTR is a active phased array radar having capability to track 200 targets at a range of 600 km

The next step in evolution is the PDV. The PDV will carry a new Indian electro-optic seeker, to work in tandem with the radio frequency seeker the PAD has traditionally carried. An electro-optic seeker provides greater accuracy and reliability than a radio frequency seeker in homing the interceptor on to the target.

PAD was a two stage missile. The first stage was solid fueled and second stage was liquid fueled.

PDV is two stage missile but both stage is sold fueled.

It is neither prahaar nor pragati, not in its entirety. We will not be testing the interceptor with all of its envisaged capabilities just yet, the dual mode seeker and kkv are still a little while away.

thanks ppl for clarification

what about mobility

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom