What's new

India to buy $8 billion generators from China

The deal is by ADAG not by Mukesh group. Some posters were saying that he is the fourth richest etc , obviously they are confusing with Mukesh Ambani.

Dont worry over it man.. power is still required for laying electric lines, putting up transformers , installing power meters etc..

I dont believe a china guy will show up infront of my house and say "heyyy mannn u owe me 34.50.. be a man!!!... :lol:

But Benny after reading on this fossil fuel powered plant i am worried. It says that while the initial costs for such plants are low when compared to other sources like hydel, wind and solar plants the resulting pollution is damning man.

How can the government award contracts to such source?? This is something serious.

But Benny after reading on this fossil fuel powered plant i am worried. It says that while the initial costs for such plants are low when compared to other sources like hydel, wind and solar plants the resulting pollution is damning man.

How can the government award contracts to such source?? This is something serious.

Coal fire plants are cheap and India has a huge coal reserve. Even the U.S. generates roughly half of its electricity by burning coal.

CCPP's flame post taken care of by mods, thanks!

Last edited:
We'll probably see more such sales in the future. China is rapidly moving from producing just consumer goods to capital goods. That's actually the best thing China ever did for the developing world as costs of building good infrastructures will be much cheaper with China entering the market. It would be stupid no to take this advantage.

As for those concerned with environment cost of coal fire, China is also a major player in clean coal technology. New Chinese clean coal plants are among the most efficient in the world. In fact a U.S company (Future Fuels) has licensed advanced gasifier technology from China's Huaneng to build an ultra-efficient coal plant in Pennsylvania.

No need to be a bashing thread...

Chinese smart electric grid, new generators, and other equipments are now one of the best in the world, and inexpensive. Reliance is a private corporation unaffected by political rhetorics. Its decision to purchase Chinese generator is a smart one.

thanks for the sane comments conworld and nomen. I completely agree with both of you

Coal fire plants are cheap and India has a huge coal reserve. Even the U.S. generates roughly half of its electricity by burning coal.

Oh i didn't know that, well i think the world has to move on to cleaner energy sources for better future for our future generations. Don't u think so??

Oh i didn't know that, well i think the world has to move on to cleaner energy sources for better future for our future generations. Don't u think so??

Yep, that's the long-term strategic goal. :cheers:

For the present we will have to continue burning coal because it is so cost-effective, but renewable energy is getting more advanced every day. One day in the future, renewable energy will become cost-effective enough to act as a full/partial replacement for fossil fuels.

Even the Three Gorges Dam is predicted to "pay for itself" after only TEN years of operation. The longer you run it, the more cost-effective it becomes.

Yep, that's the long-term strategic goal. :cheers:

For the present we will have to continue burning coal because it is so cost-effective, but renewable energy is getting more advanced every day. One day in the future, renewable energy will become cost-effective enough to act as a full/partial replacement for fossil fuels.

Even the Three Gorges Dam is predicted to "pay for itself" after only TEN years of operation. The longer you run it, the more cost-effective it becomes.

Yes i agree hydel and wind and solar projects for power generation should be the goal ultimately. We should not make our future generations suffer for our deeds. Children in future should be kept safe from such hazards.

I hope the scientific community can come up with cheaper answers for these questions. I pray to god that this happens as soon as possible.

But CD i think currently these initiatives are costly to start hope this comes down.

why Hans r talking about this deal so much? i have already pointed out tat chinese goods are cheap and their quality is okeyly good so reliance will not buy "MADE IN INDIA" high quality generators.

why Hans r talking about this deal so much? i have already pointed out tat chinese goods are cheap and their quality is okeyly good so reliance will not buy "MADE IN INDIA" high quality generators.

Are you a thermal systems expert that knows the details of what makes a generator good and what makes one merely ok?

no!But it is true that some Indian companies build generators of good quality but of course Chinese generators are good and have attractive price tag so reliance will not buy made in India generators!that was my point.

Back
Top Bottom