What's new

India to buy 60-63 Rafales jets off the shelf from France; MMRCA deal off:

I's an Indian media boast about some fixed fights in Gwalior India...not credible. Red Flag results are far more credible.

The Aviationist is an Italian aviation blog and the article was written by an Italian Dario Leone. Where did you find that Indian connection? Don't embarrass yourself old man! :disagree:

After the Cope India 2004, American officials credited Indian pilots with being:

"very proficient in [their] aircraft and smart on tactics. That combination was tough for us to overcome,"

"The adversaries are better than we thought," Col. Mike Snodgrass added.” And in the case of the Indian Air Force both their training and some of their equipment was better than we anticipated."

"The Indians flew a number of different fighters, including the French-made Mirage 2000 and the Russian-made MiG-27 and MiG-29, but the two most formidable IAF aircraft proved to be the MIG-21 Bison, an upgraded version of the Russian-made baseline MiG-21, and the Su-30MK Flanker, also made in Russia."

When questioned on the capabilities of IAF pilots, Col Greg Newbech, USAF Team Leader made the following remarks:

“What we’ve seen in the last two weeks is the IAF can stand toe-to-toe with best AF in the world.”

“I pity the pilot who has to face the IAF and chances the day to underestimate him; because he won’t be going home.”

“The greatest compliment we heard from an IAF pilot – You American pilots are just like us, simply down to earth people.”

The views expressed were of USAF's NOT that of IAF's. It were the Americans who went on to publicize the exercise not the Indians -

The US Air Force got a "wake-up call" in air-to-air training exercises with India earlier this year that showed the United States can no longer take air superiority for granted in a conflict, a top US general said Wednesday.
Results of air exercise with India a "wake-up call" for US air force: generalWASHINGTON (AFP) Jun 23, 2004

The US Air Force got a "wake-up call" in air-to-air training exercises with India earlier this year that showed the United States can no longer take air superiority for granted in a conflict, a top US general said Wednesday.

A study of the "Cope India" air exercise, conducted by the US and Indian air forces in Gwalior, India last February, is secret, said General Hal Hornburg, head of the air force's Air Combat Command.

"But we have to learn a lot of things from that," he told defense reporters here. "We have to learn if we want air superiority it doesn't come cheap and it's not automatic."

The Russian-made SU-30s are reported to have bested the F-15s in a majority of their engagements, much to the surprise of the organizers.

It was the first time the two top-of-the-line US and Russian-made fighters have flown against each other in an exercise, an air force spokeswoman said.

It pitted F-15Cs from the air force's 3rd Wing out of Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska against a variety of Indian fighters, not just the SU-30s. They included Russian-built MiG-21s, MiG-29s and French-made Mirage 2000s.

Although the US fighters flew with certain restrictions that handicapped their effectiveness, the performance of the Indian fighters exceeded expectations.

"In general, we may have learned some things that suggest we may not be as far ahead of the rest of the world as we once thought we were," Hornburg said.

He said the results of the exercise showed the need for the F/A-22 Raptor and the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF). Both aircraft are stealthier than the F-15, but the F/A-18 also has greater range and speed than the air force's existing fighters.

The air force has been battling the perception that the costly new fighters are a luxury at a time when the United States has dominance in the air.

"I thought it was a wake-up call for some things that we've been talking about before, and it provided validation," Hornburg said.

The trade journal Aviation Week and Space Technology reported last month that the exercises showed the SU-30s had a clear advantage over the F-15C in a long-range fight.

The US and Indian aircraft were seeing each other at the same time with their radars but the SU-30 pilots were able to simulate-fire their Russian-made AA-10 "fire-and-forget" Alamo missiles first, the weekly said.

Experts say the SU-30 has a more advanced radar than the F-15C.

Hornburg said the F-15Cs that took part in "Cope India" were not equipped with the latest US active electronically scanned array radar.

"We are going to put new radars, as much as we can afford, in the F-16s and the F-15Es, and my prediction is we will have to do for the F-15C as well in due course," the general said.

The exercise appears to hold lessons for the air force in east Asia, where China is acquiring SU-27 and SU-30 fighters and AA-12 air-to-air missiles.

"I see air forces across the spectrum and across the world becoming better and better as each year passes," Hornburg said.

"China is very formidable. It is a huge, collossal nation, and they are very technologically adept. Do I worry about the Chinese? I would say I worry about anyone who could be a possible threat, to include them and many others," he said.
Results of air exercise with India a "wake-up call" for US air force: general

USAF: Indian Exercises Showed Need For F/A-22, Changes In Training
© Inside The Air Force

By Hampton Stephens

[June 4, 2004]

A recent exercise with the Indian Air Force is causing U.S. Air Force officials to re-evaluate the way the service trains its fighter pilots while bolstering the case for buying the F/A-22 as a way to ensure continued air dominance for the United States, according to service officials.

The surprising sophistication of Indian fighter aircraft and skill of Indian pilots demonstrated at the Cope India air combat exercise Feb. 15 through 27 at Gwalior Air Force Station, India, should provide a reality check for those who had assumed unquestioned U.S. air superiority, service officials who participated in the exercise said this week. The event was the first-ever air combat exercise involving the U.S. and India and the most active bilateral military exchange in over 40 years, according to these officials.

“The major takeaway for the Air Force is that our prediction of needing to replace the F-15 with the F/A-22 is proving out as we get smarter and smarter about other [countries’] capabilities around the world and what technology is limited to in the F-15 airframe,” said Col. Mike Snodgrass, commander of the 3rd Wing at Elmendorf Air Force Base, AK. “We’ve taken [the F-15] about as far as we can and it’s now time to move to the next generation.” Snodgrass, who has been selected to receive his first star, and two other wing officials spoke with Inside the Air Force June 2.

The Air Force has been arguing the absolute necessity of the F/A-22 since the program began. But the performance of the Indians in direct competition against the Air Force’s best fighter, the F-15C, was particularly striking evidence of an endangered U.S. lead in air combat capability, the statements of service officials indicate.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. John Jumper told the Senate Appropriations defense subcommittee in March that the results of Cope India were “very revealing,” although he declined to elaborate in a public forum. Privately, other senior service officials have pointed to Cope India as evidence that continued U.S. air superiority is dependent on the F/A-22.

Although service officials have been reluctant to detail how the Indians performed against the six F-15Cs from the 3rd Wing that participated in Cope India, Rep. Duke Cunningham (R-CA) said in a Feb. 26 House Appropriations defense subcommittee hearing that U.S. F-15Cs were defeated more than 90 percent of the time in direct combat exercises against the IAF.

Officials from the 3rd Wing at Elmendorf did not provide specifics about how their aircraft fared, but said the experience is causing the service to reevaluate the way it trains its pilots for air-to-air operations.

“What happened to us was it looks like our red air training might not be as good because the adversaries are better than we thought,” Snodgrass said. “And in the case of the Indian Air Force both their training and some of their equipment was better than we anticipated.”

“Red air” refers to the way the Air Force simulates enemy capability in air combat training. Because the service has assumed for years that its fighters are more capable than enemy aircraft, the U.S. pilots that simulate the enemy, known as “red” forces, in air combat training are required to operate under rules that constrain their combat capability.

“We have always believed that our technology was superior to everyone else’s technology, that we would fight a somewhat inferior adversary, so we have had to supply a simulated adversary from our own resources; we call that ‘red air,’” Snodgrass said.

As a result, Air Force pilots are used to flying against an enemy whose combat capability is deliberately limited.

“There are manoeuvering limits as well as weapons employment limits, what we believe enemy aircraft may be able to do with their weapons systems, so we try to simulate that in our own airplane with our own weapons,” Snodgrass explained. “It becomes very complex because instead of using the airplane the way it was designed, you now have to come up with rules of thumb that limit what you do and cause you to not perform . . . the way we really would want to in combat.”

The Cope India exercises consisted of air combat maneuvers in which pilots would practice their fighter tactics and fly against each other one-on-one, as well as simulated combat scenarios. It was during this simulated combat, which included both “offensive counterair” and “defensive counterair” scenarios, that the Indians proved the most formidable, according to the 3rd Wing officials. In the offensive counterair scenarios, a small number of F-15Cs would attempt to intercept an enemy strike aircraft en route to a target that was guarded by a larger number of Indian fighters. In the defensive counterair missions, the F-15s would attempt to defend a target against Indian fighters.

In these offensive and defensive missions, four F-15Cs were usually flying against 10 or 12 of the same model Indian fighter, according to Col. Greg Neubeck, deputy commander of operations for the wing’s 3rd Operations Group and exercise director for Cope India. The 3rd Operations Group is responsible for the 3rd Wing’s flying mission.

The Indians flew a number of different fighters, including the French-made Mirage 2000 and the Russian-made MIG-27 and MIG-29, but the two most formidable IAF aircraft proved to be the MIG-21 Bison, an upgraded version of the Russian-made baseline MIG-21, and the SU-30K Flanker, also made in Russia, Neubeck said. He emphasized the fact that U.S. forces were always outnumbered in these scenarios, but said the missions proved more difficult than expected.

“What we faced were superior numbers, and an IAF pilot who was very proficient in his aircraft and smart on tactics. That combination was tough for us to overcome,” Neubeck said.

One reason the Indian pilots proved so formidable is that their training regimen does not include a concept of “red air.” Instead, “they fly pretty much blue-on-blue . . . [a] full-up airplane with no restrictions against somebody else’s airplane with no restrictions, and that leads to more proficiency with your aircraft,” Neubeck said.

In addition to reinforcing the need for the F/A-22, therefore, Cope India demonstrated that the service might be able to immediately improve its air combat capability by changing the way Air Force pilots train.

“The Air Force is re-examining, from what I can understand, our concept of red air and how we might be able to provide red air to our fighter forces so that we get [the best] training we can afford,” Snodgrass said.

Neubeck said the service probably needs to “take off the handcuffs that we put on our red air training aids and allow them to be more aggressive and make the red air tougher than we have in the past.”

Although India is a friendly nation, the lesson of Cope India is that almost any nation could surpass the United States’ air combat capability if the Pentagon does not continue to invest in better training and technology, the Elmendorf officials said. At last count, for example, there were over 5,000 MIG-21s active in air forces around the world, Snodgrass said. Even American fighters, such as Boeing’s F-15, are being sold in upgraded versions to countries around the world.

“I believe what this demonstrates is that the capacity exists out there for any nation with the appropriate resources and the will to acquire technology and to train their aircrews to be very, very capable,” said Col. Russ Handy, commander of the 3rd Operations Group. “In the long term this could occur in nations outside of the Indian Air Force.”

The Air Force will get another chance to test its capabilities against the Indians in July, when the IAF will bring its Jaguar fighter-bomber aircraft to Eielson AFB, AK, for the Cooperative Cope Thunder exercise. The 3rd Wing officers said their pilots had not yet flown against an Indian-piloted Jaguar.
USAF: Indian Exercises Showed Need For Changes In Training - Vayu Sena

Col. Mike Snodgrass commander of the 3rd Wing at Elmendorf Air Force Base, AK - Col Greg Newbech deputy commander of operations for the wing’s 3rd Operations Group and exercise director for Cope India - General Hal Hornburg, head of the air force's Air Combat Command - The Erstwhile Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. John Jumper

- Wonder whether they were from IAF or the USAF? - Neither of my sources are Indian - As a matter of fact this was hardly covered by the Indian Media then - It was widely covered by the Western Media only - a simple Google search will let you know. :azn:

And yeah - do us a favor - stop quoting or giving reference to India Media Reports from you blog - for as you said they aren't "reliable" enough - stop being a bloody hypocrite. :wave:

WTF guys !!! This is what am hearing from my source !!!

54 rafale ... at 7-8 billion dollar in 7 years . NO RFI . No MMRCA

We will have to do with sukois and tejas.

But this so called defence expert Bharat karnad who thinks Rafale is a bad choice and as per him we should have gone for Su25 Lol MORON ...

But this so called defence expert Bharat karnad who thinks Rafale is a bad choice and as per him we should have gone for Su25 Lol MORON ...

Do what's next guys ? 36 +18 more is what we are looking at the .As 18 is said to be under current new deal as a follow on . SO 3 SQ of Rafale . Sources say that ball is in french court now. And I think MMRCA cancelled to bring in Private players if french wants good move

And as I said Su35S is what we are looking for . Best deal I guess . Jags and Mig27 will be replaced with them .

Because now we will have more or less same systems on New Su35S and Super Sukois . Not to forget large chunk of PakFa/FgFA will have lots of common parts . Which will make our fleets survivability better than before .

@The_Side winder no problem Bro we will have 3 Sq of Rafale starting from 2017 . And looks like Tejas getting major push along with AMCA and FGFA .

Su35S will be a great addition along with Rafale ... IAF gonna be a ripper:D

But am disappointed but it's too costly due to poor negotiations done by previous govt .

after 106 pages, various figures for the Rafale are being posted. Can anyone hold their horses and confirm how many are being procured?

Because now we will have more or less same systems on New Su35S and Super Sukois . Not to forget large chunk of PakFa/FgFA will have lots of common parts . Which will make our fleets survivability better than before .

@The_Side winder no problem Bro we will have 3 Sq of Rafale starting from 2017 . And looks like Tejas getting major push along with AMCA and FGFA .

Su35S will be a great addition along with Rafale ... IAF gonna be a ripper:D

But am disappointed but it's too costly due to poor negotiations done by previous govt .

But what are the details of Su35S.. Super30 ASQRs were fixed as on 2011 (quoted from Prasun Sengupta's blog). Yet Stealth version there is no details at all.

Moreover if its only 36+18 why bother for this deal also.. better make more of Su35S only then.

Unless make in India Reliance twist is real which a blogger N Gokhle stated that a etire manufacturing line (second line) may be bought for industrial production of Rafale in India

after 106 pages, various figures for the Rafale are being posted. Can anyone hold their horses and confirm how many are being procured?
No one knows to be honest. all that DM confirmed today is that all future Rafale ( apart from first 36) will be through govt to govt deal. He didnt specified any numbers though.

No one knows to be honest. all that DM confirmed today is that all future Rafale ( apart from first 36) will be through govt to govt deal. He didnt specified any numbers though.

So the immediate deal is just a breather for France and India, since Modi was there and they had to offer something. Hmm, interesting.

As i wrote in the main sticky thread i think make in india is coming with Dassault partnering Reliance which will be the second line of production for Dassault outside france.

Or else its gonna be AMCA project in a big way plus PAKFA MKI route

But @Ind4Ever you have said that Su35 Stealth version is rumoured to be testing for last 2 years in India. Can you throw more light on the Su35 Stealth. How is it versus the normal Su35.. Anything substantial ? even if its more of heresay its surprising that the Su35S signage was perhaps kept secret for such a long time..Also Su35 means more russian planes.. i thot IAF was and is against that.. Hope you can quench our thirst for answers..

As i wrote in the main sticky thread i think make in india is coming with Dassault partnering Reliance which will be the second line of production for Dassault outside france.

Or else its gonna be AMCA project in a big way plus PAKFA MKI route

But @Ind4Ever you have said that Su35 Stealth version is rumoured to be testing for last 2 years in India. Can you throw more light on the Su35 Stealth. How is it versus the normal Su35.. Anything substantial ? even if its more of heresay its surprising that the Su35S signage was perhaps kept secret for such a long time..Also Su35 means more russian planes.. i thot IAF was and is against that.. Hope you can quench our thirst for answers..

Ya bhai just got the news on MMRCA . And we are going with Su35S I guess . It's been there as a Plan B for very long time . Many times Russian ambassador mentioned about it and hinting on there hope to sell Su35S to the Indian Airforce . Now we can't buy Su35 as Chinese will get them . So we need to modify in such a way it will be superior to current Su35 .

It's anyone's imagination . I belive in this gvt . There must be a plan for MMRCA . Or why they could just scrap it .

This is my prediction bhai . I got from one of my friend during PM France visit .

36 - 2 squadrons + One additional squadrons as follow on . Currently French have capability to produce 12 per year . But y hey want to increase it to 30-36 in 1/2 year. So with Egypt order for 26/36 , IAF order for 36+18 will he completed before 2020 . As for as IAF is concerned .

It's a good move . When 2 5th generation jets under development . 3 Squadron will help us with some breather for future projects .

Tejas to be operationalised in 2 months maximum .

Tejas MK2 , AMCA FGFA need to be pushed . Mean while 1Squadron of PakFa and Follow on for rafale will do the trick ..

NOTE : MMRCA CANCELED BUT FUTURE ORDERS ARE POSSIBLE WITH PRIVATE PLAYERS ROPED IN. HAL IS BETTER OPTION FOR SUKOIS .

Ya bhai just got the news on MMRCA . And we are going with Su35S I guess . It's been there as a Plan B for very long time . Many times Russian ambassador mentioned about it and hinting on there hope to sell Su35S to the Indian Airforce . Now we can't buy Su35 as Chinese will get them . So we need to modify in such a way it will be superior to current Su35 .

It's anyone's imagination . I belive in this gvt . There must be a plan for MMRCA . Or why they could just scrap it .

This is my prediction bhai . I got from one of my friend during PM France visit .

36 - 2 squadrons + One additional squadrons as follow on . Currently French have capability to produce 12 per year . But y hey want to increase it to 30-36 in 1/2 year. So with Egypt order for 26/36 , IAF order for 36+18 will he completed before 2020 . As for as IAF is concerned .

It's a good move . When 2 5th generation jets under development . 3 Squadron will help us with some breather for future projects .

Tejas MK2 , AMCA FGFA need to be pushed . Mean while 1Squadron of PakFa and Follow on for rafale will do the trick ..

NOTE : MMRCA CANCELED BUT FUTURE ORDERS ARE POSSIBLE WITH PRIVATE PLAYERS ROPED IN. HAL IS BETTER OPTION FOR SUKOIS .

so 36+18 is a possibility.

You know the reliance angle and possible tweets by Nitin Gokhle (the guy who took DM MP interview in DD today some days back speculates a lot of things
see this

nitin gokhale @nitingokhale · Apr 10
If Dassault can be persuaded to shift its assembly line to India (not under HAL), it would meet the Make in India requirements too!

Just a wild thought. Could it be that the entire Rafale assembly line relocates to India in coming years under the Make in India scheme?

The next steps on more Rafales is a matter of detail: sources. Being described as mix of meeting IAF's requirement and that of Make in India

Okay so I got it wrong on the numbers. 36 Rafale to be bought in ready to fly condition, announces PM. Price and further details awaited

@sancho

Pasting info posted by Olybrius in a seperate forum which is what Snacho had also posted in Main Rafale thread for easier understanding

* Only 4 aircrafts are planned for the french military in 2016 and none the following years:

E0NTgy.jpg

Recettes exceptionnelles et exportation du Rafale : des paris à 10 milliards pour boucler le budget

Taking into account deliveries to Egypt (According to Air&cosmos)
2015: 6
2016: 5
2017: 5
2018: 5
2019: 3

In theory, 6 Rafale/year would be available for India from 2016 + n additionnal Rafale each year due to increased production.

2016 - 6
2017 - 6
thus 12 meaning 24 left
Unless Dassault produces additional 12 birds with increased productivity or may be more production they wont be able to meet the 2017 timeline

The 7 next year and the 11 in 2017 were considered as reserved for India, as the first squad under the MMRCA tender, but even if the French Government gives us some of their production of this year (less than 11, because some of them wrere naval versions), that's not enough to form a 2nd squad. But the same production lot also is meant to provide fighters for Egypt, so it simply is not possible for the French Government, to provide that many fighters in 2 years. Also, because these fighters are meant to be diverted from the French order, it's not possible to increase the production rate, until France makes a new order with Dassault, for the fighters they have passed to other countries.

2015 to 17 => 33 fighters on order from France. Now if they divert 11 to Egypt, 11 to India and keep 11 for their forces, Dassault would not get a single new order and therefor has no reason to increase the rate.

But what are the details of Su35S.. Super30 ASQRs were fixed as on 2011 (quoted from Prasun Sengupta's blog). Yet Stealth version there is no details at all.

Moreover if its only 36+18 why bother for this deal also.. better make more of Su35S only then.

Unless make in India Reliance twist is real which a blogger N Gokhle stated that a etire manufacturing line (second line) may be bought for industrial production of Rafale in India

Bro Super skois are different deal. It's to upgrade our beast mKI with PakFa avionics and other stealth features . But Su35S is actually for two purposes. 1) For Jags replacement 2) So now we know it must be a logged for MMRCA plan B . So super is very different deal fro. SU35S . Which will won't be just an upgrade but like New 5th gen fighter other than PakFa . For different roles . Same like Jags and MKI differences .

But now am worried about Air wing of Ins Vishal . Make no mistake it's the need of the hour. FOR may be used in a mix but can't form the full fleet which will lack Air dominance capabilities . Which is the main purpose when we want to have air dominance for our many kind of missions .

Check this ...

2 countries hv agreed on a deal for 36 planes in ready to fly condition.Make in India part will be after GoG negotiations- @manoharparrikar

So we might make few components in India for the 36+ jets. But am sure follow on order is in the provision of the new deal !!!

Su 34 gonna come I think instead of su35...

That could be good if we upgrade them like MKI . SU34 much needed for long range deepstrike missions deep inside China .

But my guts says we will go with Su35S ... ( Not present Su35S but but a different fighter all together developed on Su35 frame . Full stealth for low flying , upgraded EW suits etc )

But now am worried about Air wing of Ins Vishal . Make no mistake it's the need of the hour. FOR may be used in a mix but can't form the full fleet which will lack Air dominance capabilities . Which is the main purpose when we want to have air dominance for our many kind of missions .

I am sure for EMALSapproved by US i expect F35C bundled with that unless they offer EMALS standalone (unlikely). USA would never leave a single chance of Selling F35 as they need its sales asap to offset huge cost overlays.

Su 34 gonna come I think instead of su35...

There will be no orders for the Su-34 or the 35. The IAF has simply no interest in either and the reported offers are just that, insubstantial offers made by OEMs or having been reported to be made by the media. Neither of the aircraft fit into the IAF's projected force structure.

Furthermore, the MoD has officially stated (by way of the RM's) statement that any further purchase of the Rafale will be executed through the G2G route, this leaves the pvt. sector in India with only the option of entering the MRO business as far as the Rafale is considered, a privately run production line is out of the question (the cost escalation brought about due to such a production line would be untenable to begin with).

Back
Top Bottom