What's new

INDIA TO BUY 12 RUSSIAN ADVANCED S-400 AIR DEFENSE SYSTEM: SOURCES

There is no commission in high profile purchases like S400.
CAG will kick their rear and a Bofors fate will taunt them.

Dear indian,

Perhaps you are correct.

After all such things are very difficult or perhaps extremely rare in a vibrant and law abidding democracy such as yours.

This means the money is safe and can be spent on advancement of Human Condition in your lovely country.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Learnt something new again.

Regards,

SPF

Dear indian,

Perhaps you are correct.

After all such things are very difficult or perhaps extremely rare in a vibrant and law abidding democracy such as yours.

This means the money is safe and can be spent on advancement of Human Condition in your lovely country.

Regards,

SPF

Our investment in defence is below 2%.
And our welfare programs is around 100billion$.
We knows our priority.

Can you post this pic?.
I am not claiming that an f 16 cannot shoot down a M2000 . but have never herd about the above incident.

Well I am not claiming that skill is not needed but we are living in an era in which better aircraft matter more than pilot skill .
And you seem to somehow assume that a PAF pilot is better trained than IAF one. Which you cannot prove anyways.

General kayani showed american diplomat mullen that photo.you can find it by reading the entire 2008 tensions topic.only bvr matter.in kargil,we didn't have bvr.now we have bvr so skill matters.iaf first needs to save itself from bvr.there are tricks and methods and I know paf pilots knows that trick.I don't know about iaf as I told you earlier about our manpads shootings.that radar lock of mirage 2000 is a famous incident.

its 2017 not 2008 and you do not have same US support as that you had back in 2008 and chances are you never are going to have either .. so now what ?

but we have it so do full tech support or russia , france , gremany , japan and israel and have all those radrs and anty radar technologies and missles to counter your and your best iron brothers arsenell in near future so do not worry its a very costly affar no dought but we are ready to play it but are you :azn:

lady i know when your people do not have anything to say they talk personal insults but then we are guests here so lagge raho but the point is about air defence and as of now either in defncive or offensive PAF cannot dream to attack india in anyway and thats precieslly why for every thing they take out neuclear threat and start waveing it like a street thug trying to black mail passerby's by putting a gun on his forehead :haha:

Oh my God,you have Russia Israel Germany Japan support lol.dude nobody cares about your relations with other countries.we have everything and you can only realize it when you start a war.

Iraq and Serbia also had best Russian sam of that time but NATO jets simply manured over em with minor losses

Really? S-125 Neva from the 60's, and 2K12 KUB from the 70's.... that's what Serbia had in 1999.

Dear indian,

Perhaps you are correct.

Regards,

SPF
SUNDAY, JUNE 11, 2017 BY INDIANDEFENSE NEWS

S-400_Missile_Defence_System_IDN.jpg

Sources reported that India has decided to buy 12 units of Russia's advanced S-400 ADS instead of the earlier proposal to acquire only 5 such units
Rakesh Krishnan Simha wrote in RIR, "The year is 2020. A posse of F-16 jet fighters takes off from the main Pakistan Air Force (PAF) base in Sargodha. Approximately 300 km east, at the Adampur air force base, an Indian S-400 air defence system picks up these aircraft almost instantly. The radar lock unnerves the F-16 pilots and they peel further west – away from the battery’s range."
While taking evasive action the PAF jets have to be careful not to stray into Afghanistan – which is increasingly hostile towards Islamabad – or Iran. The Pakistani pilots, however, realise trespass is the least of their problems. As the F-16s arrive over Baluchistan – the furthest they can get away from the Indian border – they are tracked by another S-400 battery stationed near the Jodhpur air force base 527 km away.

S-400_Missile_Defence_System_Details.jpg

The S-400 systems are routinely scanning the airspace around them in a 360 degree sweep, but the PAF pilots are on the verge of panic. Between the overlapping coverage by India’s multiple S-400 battalions stationed along the border, PAF aircraft can run but not hide. This is the fishbowl effect – the feeling of being observed from all sides.
The most devastating impact of India acquiring the S-400 Triumf will be on the Pakistani military’s psyche. With its 600 km tracking range – and a 400 km kill range – the Russian air defence system will increase the vulnerability of all Pakistani air assets, especially fighter aircraft, missiles and drones, by several orders of magnitude.
Their 600 km tracking range – and a 400 km kill range – will allow just three S-400 battalions located on the border to cover all of Pakistan, except the western extremity of its restive Baluchistan province. With Afghanistan turning hostile and upending Pakistan’s grandiose plans of acquiring strategic depth, the arrival of the S-400 will squeeze the operational capabilities of both its offensive and defensive assets.
Because of its blistering speed of 17,000 kph, an S-400 missile fired from Adampur, Punjab, will take just 65 seconds to hit an F-16 flying over Sargodha. Ejection – rather than evasive action – would be the sensible option against a missile coming at you at that speed.
The S-400’s deployment will widen the window of vulnerability of Pakistan’s air force, army and strategic missile forces.

• First up, PAF jets will be forced to operate hundreds of kilometres west of the Indian border and will have to fly in a narrow strip of airspace along the borders of Iran and Afghanistan.

• Secondly, they will not be able to come to the defence of their armour and troop concentrations which would be taking a pounding from Indian artillery and the Indian Air Force (IAF).

• The system can even function as a ballistic missile killer until India’s indigenous Prithvi Air Defence (PAD) comes online in the coming decade.

Old & Trusted Ally
Since the Soviet era, Russia and India have enjoyed mutually beneficial strategic relations, especially in the field of defense and military cooperation.
In 2014, the total value of weapons and military hardware delivered by Russia to India reached $4.7 billion, according to Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation estimates.
The S-400 Triumph is an air defense missile system, which integrates a multi-function radar, autonomous detection and targeting systems, anti-aircraft missile systems, launchers, and command and control center. It is capable of firing different three types of missiles capable of destroying aerial targets at short-to-extremely long range.
Delivery Timeline
Russia could begin shipping the S-400 ‘Triumf’ anti- aircraft missile defence systems to India in 2020, Sergey Chemezov, head of the state corporation Rostec informed reporters attending the BRICS summit in Goa.
He was briefing reporters after the 17th India-Russia summit between President Vladimir Putin and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi saw a slew of agreements being signed, including one on India’s purchase of advanced S-400 air defence systems.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/06/india-to-buy-12-russian-advanced-s-400.html
SUNDAY, JUNE 11, 2017 BY INDIANDEFENSE NEWS

S-400_Missile_Defence_System_IDN.jpg

Sources reported that India has decided to buy 12 units of Russia's advanced S-400 ADS instead of the earlier proposal to acquire only 5 such units
Rakesh Krishnan Simha wrote in RIR, "The year is 2020. A posse of F-16 jet fighters takes off from the main Pakistan Air Force (PAF) base in Sargodha. Approximately 300 km east, at the Adampur air force base, an Indian S-400 air defence system picks up these aircraft almost instantly. The radar lock unnerves the F-16 pilots and they peel further west – away from the battery’s range."
While taking evasive action the PAF jets have to be careful not to stray into Afghanistan – which is increasingly hostile towards Islamabad – or Iran. The Pakistani pilots, however, realise trespass is the least of their problems. As the F-16s arrive over Baluchistan – the furthest they can get away from the Indian border – they are tracked by another S-400 battery stationed near the Jodhpur air force base 527 km away.

S-400_Missile_Defence_System_Details.jpg

The S-400 systems are routinely scanning the airspace around them in a 360 degree sweep, but the PAF pilots are on the verge of panic. Between the overlapping coverage by India’s multiple S-400 battalions stationed along the border, PAF aircraft can run but not hide. This is the fishbowl effect – the feeling of being observed from all sides.
The most devastating impact of India acquiring the S-400 Triumf will be on the Pakistani military’s psyche. With its 600 km tracking range – and a 400 km kill range – the Russian air defence system will increase the vulnerability of all Pakistani air assets, especially fighter aircraft, missiles and drones, by several orders of magnitude.
Their 600 km tracking range – and a 400 km kill range – will allow just three S-400 battalions located on the border to cover all of Pakistan, except the western extremity of its restive Baluchistan province. With Afghanistan turning hostile and upending Pakistan’s grandiose plans of acquiring strategic depth, the arrival of the S-400 will squeeze the operational capabilities of both its offensive and defensive assets.
Because of its blistering speed of 17,000 kph, an S-400 missile fired from Adampur, Punjab, will take just 65 seconds to hit an F-16 flying over Sargodha. Ejection – rather than evasive action – would be the sensible option against a missile coming at you at that speed.
The S-400’s deployment will widen the window of vulnerability of Pakistan’s air force, army and strategic missile forces.

• First up, PAF jets will be forced to operate hundreds of kilometres west of the Indian border and will have to fly in a narrow strip of airspace along the borders of Iran and Afghanistan.

• Secondly, they will not be able to come to the defence of their armour and troop concentrations which would be taking a pounding from Indian artillery and the Indian Air Force (IAF).

• The system can even function as a ballistic missile killer until India’s indigenous Prithvi Air Defence (PAD) comes online in the coming decade.

Old & Trusted Ally
Since the Soviet era, Russia and India have enjoyed mutually beneficial strategic relations, especially in the field of defense and military cooperation.
In 2014, the total value of weapons and military hardware delivered by Russia to India reached $4.7 billion, according to Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation estimates.
The S-400 Triumph is an air defense missile system, which integrates a multi-function radar, autonomous detection and targeting systems, anti-aircraft missile systems, launchers, and command and control center. It is capable of firing different three types of missiles capable of destroying aerial targets at short-to-extremely long range.
Delivery Timeline
Russia could begin shipping the S-400 ‘Triumf’ anti- aircraft missile defence systems to India in 2020, Sergey Chemezov, head of the state corporation Rostec informed reporters attending the BRICS summit in Goa.
He was briefing reporters after the 17th India-Russia summit between President Vladimir Putin and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi saw a slew of agreements being signed, including one on India’s purchase of advanced S-400 air defence systems.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/06/india-to-buy-12-russian-advanced-s-400.html
FYI south Korea just pulled out of thaad system citing issues of being over priced and being less reliable then USA claims so of thaad far more advance n then aero or s400 has these issues then so would they :)

we know how russian stuff and israeli stuff works and we intend to use them in tandem not isolation with our own inputs and hardware and softwares we have created after many tests and retests over a period of time with help of french , russians and israelies a web of not just SA batteries but AIR based and Aerostat and ground based radar radars at different levels to make a multi layered and multi band radar coverage backed by a multi layered SA cover so do not worry sir we are doing every bid S400 is just one part of that jig saw puzzle ... SIR :coffee:

You could've done PhD on the Russian stuff along with Israeli stuff. Doesn't change the reality. The reality is, let's say if Syria was a Test like the one's you've done, and you had an Israeli missile system like the Barak or anything else, vs. the S-400 and the S-1000000......the result of such test would be the same, that the only system working and doing damage to the offensive party, would be an Israeli system. The Russian system, would prove to you that it seems functional, but it just doesn't detect anything and no Missiles go off to a target as there is none detected. So this is as real of a test as it can get :enjoy:.

My advise, buy what works and has been proven against freaking Rockets (let alone much bigger and easy to identify Missiles). Have you ever wondered? If you take all conflicts in the past say 40 years, all across the world, many countries involved in conflicts had Russian missiles.....in all 40 years, what did they shoot down? Like 15 allied jets? Wow, that is "some" record if you know what I mean :yahoo:. Such a waste of dozens of billions of dollars!

@Arsalan ,
You see, Dollar for dollar, we can field say four JF-17s for a single Rafale.
Now picture this, India sends say four Rafales on a mission over Pakistan and we field 16 JF-17 over India.
Even if half the JF-17 force is shot down, the other Eight can still do plenty of damage but if the Rafales are shot down, it will really hurt India and it will be forced to change it's strategy.

Jf -17 might be 4 times cheaper than Rafale but dollar for dollar, Indian economy is 10 times the size of Pakistani economy.

So when it comes to purchasing power, Pakistan can neither match India in quantity nor quality.

General kayani showed american diplomat mullen that photo.you can find it by reading the entire 2008 tensions topic.only bvr matter.in kargil,we didn't have bvr.now we have bvr so skill matters.iaf first needs to save itself from bvr.there are tricks and methods and I know paf pilots knows that trick.I don't know about iaf as I told you earlier about our manpads shootings.that radar lock of mirage 2000 is a famous incident.

Oh my God,you have Russia Israel Germany Japan support lol.dude nobody cares about your relations with other countries.we have everything and you can only realize it when you start a war.
There is zero proof of that.
no mention of it either in US diplomatic cables leaked by wikileaks.

General kayani showed american diplomat mullen that photo.you can find it by reading the entire 2008 tensions topic.only bvr matter.in kargil,we didn't have bvr.now we have bvr so skill matters.iaf first needs to save itself from bvr.there are tricks and methods and I know paf pilots knows that trick.I don't know about iaf as I told you earlier about our manpads shootings.that radar lock of mirage 2000 is a famous incident
No I can't find it.
That's why I told you to post it here.
Might be something cooked up for local consumption by ispr.
Why do you guys think that paf can only do that and this and knows certain tricks:D and iaf pilots are inferior when they spend an average of 250+ hours annually in the air.

I am not concerned at all. I just take issue with yourself coming on our forum and trying to impress your superiority, when you have none.
I never claimed anything like that here.
Well anyone with common sense will be able to understand which country is has superiority in conventional warfare now.

Do come back with you actually have something to say! :)
The pics, smilies and emojies wont cut it.

Oh, BTW, its against forum rules as well. Consider your self warned and informed. :)
he and his likes were already shown who is their father in the last cricket match. they still want to come with father jokes.
well this pest is wearing pink once again and hopefully stays pink for some time

At best you will have the Rafale in squadrons strength, currently this is your top shot.....anything else would come later.
No one said Rafale is good or bad in A2A, the scenario i presented for both aircraft was in context of being used against the other for attacking ground targets.
As for you writing off the JF-17, well, the same was claimed vis-a-vis the MKI....who knows one day you might learn the inside story.
the inside story is that make in India has a new creative meaning for Hinduvata madness.. they will buy everything under the sky from anywhere because Pakistan refuses to bow and shows a middle finger
presenting logical comparisons or sharing scenarios with them is a waste of time, they would instead prefer to turn pink with their trolling.

I work with Indians and know people in the likes of Tech Mahendra. I know the level of your tech prowess first hand. It's nothing much to write home about.
Hi @CriticalThought
It is very imprudent to formulate your opinion based on your very very limited interaction with some guys at tech mahindra. In order to fully appreciate India's technical prowess you need to visit cities like bangalore, pune and institutes like IITs.
Now of course, India at present can not in any way be compared to US in terms of scientific research-Period! But India does feature in at least top 5-7 countries in terms of research.
http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.php

I am sure you're aware of scimago, go there(I have posted the link for your simplicity) and look for latest data, I am sure you'd find India at No.5(whereas Pakistan wont be in top-40 or 50). In order for you to understand whatever I am writing here, I will divide India's research into two broad areas-
1) Research Papers &
2) Patents i.e creation of intellectual property rights.
The scimago data will verify #1. However for #2, you need to go to India's patent office website. And if you do this excercise you'll find that nearly 50,000 patents were filed at IPO in 2012-2013. Of course not all of them were from indian entities. India has registered strong growth in patent filing(8-9% per annum), however this pales in comparison to china--which is the most aggressive filer in the world!

http://www.wipo.int/ipstats/en/statistics/country_profile/profile.jsp?code=IN
http://www.wipo.int/ipstats/en/statistics/country_profile/profile.jsp?code=PK
These links are from WIPO
In the links above you can clearly see that India can be ranked in top 10-15 countries in creation of intellectual property as against pakistan's ranking of close to 60+.

Here is a link that will give you a brief idea about the patents filed by Indian pvt companies-
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/1...ology-companies-sharpen-focus-on-patents.html
Again these figures pale in comparison to Chinese giants like ZTE etc, however they cant be just written off as you seem to think.

I want to bring your attention to the fact that it was sometimes in mid 2000s that Indian govt gave a huge push to creation of intellectual property. Just for the sake of motivation, have a look at the number of patents filed by HAL in pre-2010 era and have a look at their patent footprint in lets say 2017? What does it suggest you?
http://www.financialexpress.com/ind...-year-against-two-in-2012-rk-tyagi-hal/35711/

Similarly DRDO and ISRO filed patents in hundreds if not thousands. It takes years of research and experience to design a flawless weapon. India sure has issues with quality, but those will improve with time,my friend!
This is not just limited to Indian companies, A lot of foreign MNCs that have their R&D centers in India file a lot of patents from their Indian offices. For instance Texas Instruments filed close to 700 patents in 2013-2014 from their bangalore office(2nd highest patents filed after their american R&D centers)-- How do I know it? Well, they came for college placements and hence showed all the statistics.

Last edited:
Hi @CriticalThought
It is very imprudent to formulate your opinion based on your very very limited interaction with some guys at tech mahindra. In order to fully appreciate India's technical prowess you need to visit cities like bangalore, pune and institutes like IITs.
Now of course, India at present can not in any way be compared to US in terms of scientific research-Period! But India does feature in at least top 5-7 countries in terms of research.

It seems You are naive in patent business. (sorry for these remarks)
By giving a link that says India has these many numbers of patents, does not give credence to India.

Many MNC domiciled in India apply for Patents from India, through India, in India.

Albeit the patents get filed in India, through India, these patents may belong to foreign companies domiciled in India with their incorporated offices.

Same as in the US:

In the US, the IBM is known to be the king of patents for many years. But do you know who is the next one?
Its South Korean Samsung. The third place was claimed by Cannon (year 2013).

So you see, the US takes credit of all these foreign patents, (they are reflected from US as a country) just because they were filed in the US.

We all know Indians have no class compared to South Koreans, Taiwanes or Japanese.

Many of these patents will lie dormant during their lifetimes sans any commercial value therein, and will lapse unnoticed either by expiration of their terms or through nonpayment of maintenance fees.

Patent valuation is a critical step when the value of a company is being assessed. If the IBM stands to be sold, they may not include all their patents in their sale, because they will be commanding more profits in the future.

Commercial, innovative patents of value, show me where does India stand on International patent podium.

India has no class in this business.
And you know that.
Or should know.

Last edited:
It seems You are naive in patent business. (sorry for these remarks)
By giving a link that says India has these many numbers of patents, does not give credence to India.

Many MNC domiciled in India apply for Patents from India, through India, in India.

Albeit the patents get filed in India, through India, these patents may belong to foreign companies domiciled in India with their incorporated offices.

Same as in the US:

In the US, the IBM is known to be the king of patents for many years. But do you know who is the next one?
Its South Korean Samsung. The third place was claimed by Cannon (year 2013).

So you see, the US takes credit of all these foreign patents, (they are reflected from US as a country) just because they were filed in the US.

We all know Indians have no class compared to South Koreans, Taiwanes or Japanese.

Many of these patents will lie dormant during their lifetimes sans any commercial value therein, and will lapse unnoticed either by expiration of their terms or through nonpayment of maintenance fees.

Patent valuation is a critical step when the value of a company is being assessed. If the IBM stands to be sold, they may not include all their patents in their sale, because they will be command more profit in the future.

Commercial, innovative patents of value, show me where does India stand on International patent podium.

India has no class in this business.
And you know that.
Or should know.

@ashok321
instead of wasting my time, kindly prove your points with official links as i have done. So WIPO and SCIMAGO rankings are farce?
Where did I claim India is superior to S korea in patent race? Stop trolling me, and produce official links. I'm only worried about patents filed "from" india--either indian or foreign entities using indian talent

Last edited:
@ashok321
instead of wasting my time, kindly prove your points with official links as i have done. So WIPO and SCIMAGO rankings are farce?
Where did I claim India is superior to S korea in patent race? Stop trolling me, and produce official links. I'm only worried about patents filed "from" india--either indian or foreign entities

But India does feature in at least top 5-7 countries in terms of research.

Are you sure on above?
You appended a non functional URL to begin with.
Alas:
http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.php

Come clean on this first, then I go till the last stop on this.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom