What's new

India to build 6,000 MW nuke plant in Andhra Pradesh

Bhai Zakir

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India to build 6,000 MW nuke plant in Andhra Pradesh

The Andhra Pradesh government has quietly set in motion the process for construction of 6,000 MW nuclear power plant at Kovvada block in Srikakulam district. :yahoo:

The state energy department on Thursday night issued an order (GO Ms No. 42 dated November 1, 2012) and a subsequent gazette notification declaring five villages covering 1,916.27 acre of land as "protected zone" for setting of 6 light weight nuclear reactors, each of 1,000 MW capacity by the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL). The total land being acquired for the nuclear power project is 2,436 acres, including the area assigned for township for the staff and the Central Industrial Security Forces to take care of the security needs of the project.

According to the notification, the five villages which would fall under the nuclear protected zone are: Ramachandrapura, Gudem, Kotapalem, Tekkali and Jeeru Kovvada. In all, 1,983 households with a population of 7,960 would be displaced from the project area and rehabilitated at a distant location, so as to protect them from adverse effect of the nuclear power project.

The notification said since the project is being set up by the NPCIL with the support of the Central government, the rehabilitation and resettlement benefits would be extended to the displaced people as per the provisions of the National R&R policy, 2007.

In fact, the government had issued land acquisition notices in December 2011 itself in order to facilitate the NPCIL to build its office complex, besides staff quarters. The government had constituted a team of 11 officials headed by a deputy collector rank officer, besides appointing another 28 lower rung staff on contract basis for acquisition of land from farmers in and around Ranasthalam area. The entire cost of land acquisition and salaries to the land acquisition staff would be borne by NPCIL.

While the NPCIL would build the nuclear reactors, state-run AP Power Generation Corporation would act as the nodal agency for the execution of the power plant, including overseeing the land acquisition and the project works.

Kovvada was among the first set of four sites identified by the Central government last year for setting up nuclear power plants as part of the civil nuclear agreement with United States. The ambitious Rs.1 lakh crore (US$ 20 billion) power project at Kovvada would be developed with the US technical know-how. :devil:

Read more at: Andhra Pradesh govt okays construction of nuclear power plant : South, News - India Today

No NGO issues... this time its a US project so no US funding for the NGOs... well cant really say if Russians start the same trick...

Exactly what I wanted to say.

These 'protests' began because the Indian Govt went back on its word to the US (correct decision IMO as they were not agreeing to the liability clauses) that as a quid-pro-quo fr the nuke deal they would be given the preference in future contracts and instead went about negotiating deals with Russia, France etc. So the missionaries who had their HQ in US like thee Baptists, Pentecosts etc were aided and abetted to sabotage the nuke plants by organizing protests through shady NGOs. But since in this case its a US know-how I dont foresee any 'protests'. Lets see if this turns out to be true.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

These 'protests' began because the Indian Govt went back on its word to the US (correct decision IMO as they were not agreeing to the liability clauses) that as a quid-pro-quo fr the nuke deal they would be given the preference in future contracts and instead went about negotiating deals with Russia, France etc. So the missionaries who had their HQ in US like thee Baptists, Pentecosts etc were aided and abetted to sabotage the nuke plants by organizing protests through shady NGOs. But since in this case its a US know-how I dont foresee any 'protests'. Lets see if this turns out to be true.

It certainly would confirm a few suspicions! I am also glad to hear the GoI is taking a lot of actions aginst NGOs who support illegal actitvy such as supporting Moaists and such protests-cutting funds, raiding offices and arresting guilty people.

can anybody tell me why r we going for 1000 MWs reactors from US when French r offering us 1650 MWs reactors???

I mean the US must also be having 1650 MWs reactors, so why not Four 1,500 MWs rather than Six 1,000 MWs reactors???:what:

It certainly would confirm a few suspicions! I am also glad to hear the GoI is taking a lot of actions aginst NGOs who support illegal actitvy such as supporting Moaists and such protests-cutting funds, raiding offices and arresting guilty people.

Actually FCRA is one of the most abused laws in India and various NGOs in India get funds to the tune of about 8000 crore from various western countries annually and the bulk of that is concentrated in the two southern states of AP and TN where the missionaries have the biggest footprint.

The much publicised move to curb down on the illegal NGOs has lost steam because of the pressure of the NAC members who themselves are head of various NGOs and also because of their connection with other NGOs and their vested interests. This is a huge huge internal security threat which if not curbed immediately will be disastorous in the future,

can anybody tell me why r we going for 1000 MWs reactors from US when French r offering us 1650 MWs reactors???

I mean the US must also be having 1650 MWs reactors, so why not Four 1,500 MWs rather than Six 1,000 MWs reactors???:what:

1650 MW EPR's from Areva is fairly new design which is not rated in all countries...While maharashtra will go for EPR's, Andhra and Gujarat will go for 1,150-MW AP1000.

http://ansnuclearcafe.org/category/reactor-designs/

http://www.areva.com/EN/operations-2613/an-enlarged-range-of-reactors.html

Back
Top Bottom