What's new

India to become power surplus nation

Markus

Reaction score
India to become power surplus nation

Union Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde has said that India would be a power surplus nation with the addition of 45,000 MW of power during the 12th Five Year Plan period.

"We have added about 44000MW of capacity during the last four-and-a-half years. Last year capacity addition was 9,585MW, which is the highest in a year. We have a target of generating 15000MW this year," Shinde told a seminar here on Sunday.

"With the completion of various power project within the 12th plan we would be able to add 45000 MW" he said, adding that after the independence India used to generate 1400 MW and now the country generates 1,67,000MW.

"The power sector in the country has immense potential. I hope that private sector would use the same in the coming days," he said.

Regarding Tripura's commercial supply of power to Bangladesh, Shinde said that since Tripura is a small state and it would
also soon become a power surplus state in coming days, as it can sell its power resources to other countries.

"Yes, Tripura needs very little power and see at the moment there is some shortage but soon Tripura will become a surplus (power) state and they can sell their power. Even today, while I did review, even today they sell power to other countries," he added.

India to become power surplus nation: Shinde

Power generation hasn't been much of a problem for us. Power distribution and management, yes.

great finnaly there will be less power cuts in my home town of erode,not that i live there but still.

Power generation hasn't been much of a problem for us. Power distribution and management, yes.

I do not think so... There is a lot of demand from the private sector and that is causing huge problems to give power to the rural areas

It is always good to have more energy than you need.

Last edited:

Absolutely correct.
More than power generation issues (Plant Load Factor); there have been issues regarding Transmission and Distribution losses. However in the last few years, there has been considerable improvements on this front, simply because the SEBs simply could not afford to sustain the losses. And passing on the costs to the consumer is less of a 'political hot potato' now. But still there is room for improvement.

IMHO, the far more important issue is to make more efficient use of the power being consumed.
E.G. energy efficient devices and appliances; there is a 'HUGE' area for progress and improvement in this area. Hope that is tackled simultaneously. Only then there will be balanced ans sustainable growth.

i dont think INDIA should ever become power surplus nation. if we have more power than required then we can increase our industrialization and utilise itfor now i think its little over optimistic so say we will be surplus nation so soon when there is so much of load shading going around.

kaha yaar kaha power surplus, itni jyada light to jati hai:frown: Pta nahi aane wale time mai bhi kab tak hogi power surplus..

Hope what they are saying is correct assuming that we are operating at 90% capacity on an average. A lot of our power generation facilities usually run much less than their targeted capacity citing various maintenance reasons.

As another poster pointed out, that power distribution and tariff collection remains a huge hurdle to clear. Hope the govt focuses on these issues after it has installed the capacity to generate enough power to meet our demands.

Dont think so both Jaitapur(10000MW ,alloted for french) and haripur(10000MW) going through political/environmental celearance wrangling.So be ready for long drawn curt battle.

Dont think so both Jaitapur(10000MW ,alloted for french) and haripur(10000MW) going through political/environmental celearance wrangling.So be ready for long drawn curt battle.

That is expected.

Say, do you ever have something positive to say when it comes to India?

Sorry but this dream of your never gonna true

Environment ministry already passed the project and now no one can stop that :lol:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom