What's new

India to be a $2 Trillion $ economy in 13 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

justanobserver

Reaction score
Read the article before flaming, I found it to be quite balanced. Also note the date it's not 2020 or 2040, just one more year.

------------------------------------------------------
Number’s message: get inclusive, be humble

Gautam Chikermane
Gautam Chikermane, Hindustan Times
March 04, 2011
Email to Author

Author’s Blog
First Published: 22:46 IST(4/3/2011)
Last Updated: 23:18 IST(4/3/2011)
Share more...
2 Comments
Email print
When India’s GDP first touched the $1-trillion mark in November 2007, it left most analysts surprised. The India story then was just about beginning to gather momentum. Lost in the deluge of the credit crisis, perhaps, the event passed us by. Two trillion-dollar events, really — GDP and market capi talisation, both crossed the Rs 45,00,000 crore mark. These zeroes are rather difficult to grasp, though we’ve just about managed to come to grips with them.

This number brought with it the realisation of a reality --- India was not only changing, it had changed. A number can’t make any statement, leave alone comment upon the future of a nation. They are subservient to the will of people in democracies (and dictators in autocracies).

But this number yanked India out into an economically elite club of 12 countries with GDPs of $1 trillion, from the US and Japan down to India and Russia.

When the innards of the credit crisis were finally laid bare on September 15, 2008 with the fall of Lehman Brothers and the subsequent international financial turmoil, this number and its underlying growth potential pushed India on the high table of global finance. In November 2008, when a lame duck George Bush invited the leaders of Group of 20 (G20) to Washington DC for a summit, India was an active participant.

In the ensuing discussions, I found that even though India was nowhere as wealthy as many other nations, it brought with it an intellectual capital and an alternative development model, even as Capitalism in its pure form, was beginning to wane. Reporting from there, I found some of the ideas that Indian policymakers were flirting with in Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s Air India One present in the final communiqué.

With a GDP of $2 trillion just 13 months away, India will enter the league of seven nations including Italy and the UK. This was supposed to happen a few years later. But the 9% growth trajectory combined with slower growth in EU will end up accelerating this process.

A $2-trillion economy brings with it benefits as well as responsibilities. Economic growth is all very well but its moral virtues are falling by the wayside. So, while we need to ensure that we don’t lose track of high growth, we need to take steps to make it as inclusive as possible — a $2-trillion economy means nothing to the 850 million of our citizens who live on less than $2 a day.

That inclusiveness needs to impact India’s foreign economic policy such that we have mutual economic stakes in our immediate borders. China has done this very well with Taiwan with its Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement.

A $2 trillion economy means India becomes a regional economic power — and has to engage in economic diplomacy in its immediate neighbourhood.

Finally, the growing hubris that is infecting us needs to end. Even with $2 trillion, the US still will be eight times our size and China about six times. A little humility will help.

India is marching ahead 2 strides, retreating 3 strides.

Projections are right......so is Italian Mafia looting India and transfering the wealth towards European continent.

Just three years ago, people were shocked when India became a $1 trillion economy. I wonder what they will think now, with another trillion added so quickly.

India's progress must continue so that we become a middle income country with a GDP per capita of $20,000 by mid-century. That's the kind of country that I want my kids and grandkids to live in.

Nothing to get excited about... yes the growth is there, but with rapid growth there are other social disparities that needs to be addressed urgently. The article has pointed out this fact as well. If we can get an inclusive growth I would feel much better than right now. Imagine the potential unleashed, when we have more people contributing to the growth.

So, while we need to ensure that we don’t lose track of high growth, we need to take steps to make it as inclusive as possible — a $2-trillion economy means nothing to the 850 million of our citizens who live on less than $2 a day.

Projections are right......so is Italian Mafia looting India and transfering the wealth towards European continent.

Very good and sane prediction. I hope India becomes better than the Congo within the next 10 years. A prosperous India would have less motivation to go to war to relieve internal problems.

Nothing to get excited about... yes the growth is there, but with rapid growth there are other social disparities that needs to be addressed urgently. The article has pointed out this fact as well. If we can get an inclusive growth I would feel much better than right now. Imagine the potential unleashed, when we have more people contributing to the growth.

Yeah true, that's why I posted this article. Pretty balanced, and the prediction is not some 10 years into the future

Very good and sane prediction. I hope India becomes better than the Congo within the next 10 years. A prosperous India would have less motivation to go to war to relieve internal problems.

We don't need to be better than Congo or better the China or for that matter any other country in the world. We need to build a prosperous country for us with inclusive growth and that's when we can say that we have done our job.

We don't need to be better than Congo or better the China or for that matter any other country in the world. We need to build a prosperous country for us with inclusive growth and that's when we can say that we have done our job.

Wealth is always relative. Part of being rich is the mental comfort of knowing you are better off than others. I think this is how people think about wealth.

Wealth is always relative. Part of being rich is the mental comfort of knowing you are better off than others. I think this is how people think about wealth.
I have no motive to become more wealthy than others but that doesn't mean I am not working hard as others.Income just let it be,I am not care about it,but just my wife.I am always urged by my wife to make more wealth.:P

Finally, the growing hubris that is infecting us needs to end. Even with $2 trillion, the US still will be eight times our size and China about six times. A little humility will help.

Every rising power will benefit from keeping a low profile.

Unfortunately, "the cat is out of the bag" already.

did you read that In a comic book today in school? Its one thing to be a pessimist it's another to being it professionally.

I have no motive to become more wealthy than others but that doesn't mean I am not working hard as others.Income just let it be,I am not care about it,but just my wife.I am always urged by my wife to make more wealth.:P

I'm not saying it is the right way to think about wealth, it's just how I see people around me think about wealth.

We hope the same for you and being better than the Ivory coast.. see we agree finally..

Ivory coast has lower GDP per capita then India. Please stop spewing crap.

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

You want to start a flame war, in a thread that is positive for India? Be my guest. :lol:

It doesn't matter. He gets off to this kind of thing.

It depends on who you ask... some people are better off comparing themselves with others... while there are others who are happy with whatever they have.... yet again there are a few who amass tremendous wealth during their lifetime and donate them away in charities. But you do have a point that a vast majority do think in relative terms.

Read the article before flaming, I found it to be quite balanced. Also note the date it's not 2020 or 2040, just one more year.

------------------------------------------------------

Gautam Chikermane
Gautam Chikermane, Hindustan Times
March 04, 2011
Email to Author

Author’s Blog
First Published: 22:46 IST(4/3/2011)
Last Updated: 23:18 IST(4/3/2011)
Share more...
2 Comments
Email print
When India’s GDP first touched the $1-trillion mark in November 2007, it left most analysts surprised. The India story then was just about beginning to gather momentum. Lost in the deluge of the credit crisis, perhaps, the event passed us by. Two trillion-dollar events, really — GDP and market capi talisation, both crossed the Rs 45,00,000 crore mark. These zeroes are rather difficult to grasp, though we’ve just about managed to come to grips with them.

This number brought with it the realisation of a reality --- India was not only changing, it had changed. A number can’t make any statement, leave alone comment upon the future of a nation. They are subservient to the will of people in democracies (and dictators in autocracies).

But this number yanked India out into an economically elite club of 12 countries with GDPs of $1 trillion, from the US and Japan down to India and Russia.

When the innards of the credit crisis were finally laid bare on September 15, 2008 with the fall of Lehman Brothers and the subsequent international financial turmoil, this number and its underlying growth potential pushed India on the high table of global finance. In November 2008, when a lame duck George Bush invited the leaders of Group of 20 (G20) to Washington DC for a summit, India was an active participant.

In the ensuing discussions, I found that even though India was nowhere as wealthy as many other nations, it brought with it an intellectual capital and an alternative development model, even as Capitalism in its pure form, was beginning to wane. Reporting from there, I found some of the ideas that Indian policymakers were flirting with in Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s Air India One present in the final communiqué.

With a GDP of $2 trillion just 13 months away, India will enter the league of seven nations including Italy and the UK. This was supposed to happen a few years later. But the 9% growth trajectory combined with slower growth in EU will end up accelerating this process.

A $2-trillion economy brings with it benefits as well as responsibilities. Economic growth is all very well but its moral virtues are falling by the wayside. So, while we need to ensure that we don’t lose track of high growth, we need to take steps to make it as inclusive as possible — a $2-trillion economy means nothing to the 850 million of our citizens who live on less than $2 a day.

That inclusiveness needs to impact India’s foreign economic policy such that we have mutual economic stakes in our immediate borders. China has done this very well with Taiwan with its Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement.

A $2 trillion economy means India becomes a regional economic power — and has to engage in economic diplomacy in its immediate neighbourhood.

I dnt think 2 trillion possible before 2013 ....

I think we should start living in real world not in dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom