What's new

India to acquire 22 attack helicopters

Just to clear up a few points....no WAY THE Apache would come in under budget ........the longbow cost the UK £2.3 billion (approx $4 billion) for 67 aircraft. Now tell me how much 22 longbows would cost India?

I have a feeling this has to something with this thread..and why Apachie would be a tough contender...

IndianExpress.com :: Boeing men to woo India with Apache

Errr no that report was full of vagueness. For example why would a rep hide the sweetners? Or "speak under the condition of secrecy"? Just do some basic maths.

In September 1997 the Government of Kuwait requested the purchase of 16 AH-64D Apache attack helicopters, 384 HELLFIRE missiles (including 24 training and 50 dummy missiles), two spare HELLFIRE launchers, four spare T-700 GE engines, one spare Target Acquisition Designation Sight system, spare and repair parts, support equipment, tools and test sets, ammunition, 10,916 Hydra 70 rockets, chaff, Integrated Helmet and Display Sight System (IHADSS), 30mm cartridges, electronic equipment test facility spares, publications, US maintenance of selective repairable material, personnel training and training equipment, Quality Assurance Team (QAT) and Technical Assistance Fielding Team (TAFT), U.S. Government and contractor engineering and technical services, facility design and construction and other related elements of logistics support.The estimated cost was $800 million.

Now I have plenty of examples of this so unless you are planning to go without support for the helo's (not a good idea with the high maintenance AH-64) You won't come in under budget. And given the Indian procurement system any changes to the rfp would take a few years.

Govt cancels tenders for 22 IAF attack helicopters

NEW DELHI: Tenders for purchase of 22 attack helicopters for the Indian Air Force (IAF), issued in May last, has been cancelled, Defence Ministry
sources said on Tuesday.

Fresh tenders for the helicopters will be issued soon, the sources said.

"The Request for Proposals (RFP) for the 22 attack helicopters have been cancelled, as the three offers received from foreign defence companies did not meet the Staff Qualitative Requirements set by the government. We will issue fresh RFP for the platform soon," the sources said.

With this, the IAF's plans to operationalise the 22 attack helicopters beginning 2010 would be hit considerably and could be delayed beyond 2012, they said.

The Defence Ministry had issued an RFP to buy the 22 attack helicopters at a cost of USD 25 million per platform, including weapons, to boost the IAF's surveillance and combat capabilities.

The RFP was sent to AgustaWestland, Boeing, Eurocopter, Khazan and Bell Helicopter. However, the government received replies from only three companies for the 2.5 tonne twin-engine helicopter.

Thanks for the post. Gr8 that you matched it properly.
ANyhow it just adds another delay in Indian acquisitions as always.

You can not expect to buy new attack platforms at $25 million a piece, especially when buying so few in number, not even from Russia.

AW-129 Mangustu: Approx: $43 million

MI-28N Nighthunters : Approx: 12 million euros

Appache: Approx: $18 million. (1996)

What sorts of per unit prices are we looking at for the major players in the market?

Well it depends on the configuration but in general (prices in 2009 dollars)

Eurocopter Tiger : $40 - 50 million

Boeing AH-64 : $53 - 60 million (Longbow)

Bell AH-1Z : $45 - 50 million

AgustaWestland Mangusta : $45 - 55 million

Russian prices can get a bit sketchy but they would be the cheapest, just above 25 million for a day/night Mi-28 including parts and upgraded equipment. I think only the Russians responded to this tender. KA-52 is the other option and would be significantly more expensive.

Last edited:
i think russian night hunters will win the tender and those r my favourites too did PA put any request for attack helicopter we lack too in this field

Few days back HAL ask for about 65 IR compression system for LCH.

By looking into the specification , which also have some details about LCH.

It look like LCH gone be one of the finest attack helicopter.

some are:

G-LOADS
Operational : -1 to +3.5 g
During crash : 20 g:what:

ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
3.4.1 Temperature:
Overall operational temperature limits : -45°C to 900°C:enjoy:
Storage temperature : -54°C to 85°C
3.4.2 Altitude.
-500 m to 7000 m(23,000 FEET):woot:

Engine power : Take off power
Exhaust mass flow : 3 Kg/second (approx.)
Exhaust gas temperature : 670°C (approx).

The IR suppressor shall reduce the outer threat boundary from IGLA class of
missiles to less than 1.3 km in the rear hemisphere and less than 1 km in all
other aspects, from hover to maximum forward speed.
The threat from the
modern Surface to Air and Air to Air missiles also shall be considered for
the design of the system. It is preferable to avoid ejection of engine hot
gases below and to the sides of the helicopter.

The Total requirement of 81 sets of subject item are as follows:
Production phase : 65 Sets
Spare : 16 Sets
The tentative schedule of requirements are as per the tabular column
Year of delivery 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12 2012-13 2013-14 2014-15
No. of sets 1 6 13 15 15 15
Spares - 1 3 4 4 4
Total no. of sets 1 7 16 19 19 19

LCH will be the true high altitude attack chopper which fully satisfied the indian military req. :cheers:

Tender document size is too big if any body interested in more then go to hal site under tender section

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited

i think russian night hunters will win the tender and those r my favourites too did PA put any request for attack helicopter we lack too in this field

But why cancel the old competition and start a new one? If Russian helicopter would have a chance to win they could go on and fix the deal. I think they want the Apache and that's why they start it new to bring it back in the game.
Specially if u look at the ties that Boeing is building in India with Tata and other companies, I am sure we will see more Boeing Products then Airforce One and P8I (Apache, Chinook, C17, F18SH, even V22 could be possible).

i think India will go for the Apache whenever they re-tender - they are now "lured" by the US civilian-military complex - they cannot avoid it! -

Back
Top Bottom